Guest theSun

This is a great time for great beers. post your favorite cold weather beers

old-rasputin-russian-imperial-stout.jpg

iniqutiy.jpg

samuel-smith-oatmeal-stout.gif

4500404793_b3f7fa8eca.jpg

ayinger_celebrator_glass.jpg

BlackoutStout_BottleGlass-great-lakes.jpg

pumpking gets honorable mention as my favorite pumpkin beer, and i'm not too big on pumpkin beer.

pumpking.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what the FUCK is 'cold weather beer'? don't you have heating? can't even fucking afford heating? who cares what the weather outside is like, unless you are some kind of ungodly freak that drinks his beer outdoors? all these stupid fucking trends. drink this now, drink that then---i say go eat a bundle of dicks! i'm making my own schedule! i'm pouring a motherfucking hefeweizen down my chest in midwinter. i'll chug a dogfish head world wide stout in the heat of july. i truly don't give a shit. get the fuck out of my face.

sounds like someone needs to get a fucking grip and have a beer. jesus fuck.

naw, good post mr Sun, and bonus-points for the ayinger celebrator :wub: i have an andechs doppelbock sitting in the fridge and might have it right now. around these parts, the autumn seasonals are mostly bock-beers (altho many bocks, like the andechs, are made year-round also)

i've had a couple spectacular bocks this season, one ofthe best one was from dutch brewery De Molen:

molen%20bock.jpg

edit: it's

it could be pretty awesome to set up a watmm beer exchange. i know there are plenty of beers that i would love to try from wherever, and there are a ton of local western NY brews i wouldn't mind sharing. great lakes, southern tier, flying bison are all quality brewers around here

i'm up for a beertrade yo, i work in a beerstore in Amsterdam at the moment and have lots of experience shipping bottles internationally. i can get most Dutch beers, most Belgians, plus a lot of German/British/Scandinavian.

what's the best imperial stouts you can get? i've already had the more common stuff like rasputin, brooklyn choc, dfh, storm king etc--can you get your hands on anything uncommon/weird/stoutlike?

i'm up for a beertrade yo, i work in a beerstore in Amsterdam at the moment and have lots of experience shipping bottles internationally. i can get most Dutch beers, most Belgians, plus a lot of German/British/Scandinavian.

what's the best imperial stouts you can get? i've already had the more common stuff like rasputin, brooklyn choc, dfh, storm king etc--can you get your hands on anything uncommon/weird/stoutlike?

i will have to see what's on the shelves, and i have no idea what's available nationally.

i would absolutely suggest southern tier anything. that iniquity is glorious, but i haven't had a beer from them that isn't amazing in some respect.

the great lakes blackout stout above is a beast, along with great lakes nosferatu (red strong ale), edmund fitzgerald (porter) and burning river (IPA). all their styles are quite good, but i'm usually more excited about the gimmicky/dark beers. their dortmunder lager won a bunch of medals but it's too bland for me.

flying bison has a few great flavors, among a bunch of mediocre ones. the best one i've had so far is an amber ale called rusty chain. it's so malty it seems like it wants to be a belgian.

that sam smith oatmeal stout is great and comparatively cheap, though i'd imagine you've got that over there

Old Rasputin is quite good. I've been rocking that & the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout this fall. Brown ales also are great for this weather, like Smuttynose Old Brown Dog. I also had some Southern Tier Mocha (a mix of Southern Tier Choklat & Coffee stouts), and Southern Tier Creme Brulee. Both were amazing, as expected. Local here, Sweetwater put out a nice brown ale I can't remember the name of, and Terrapin put out a beer called Peaotch. Both are fantastic.

How is the Pumking? I love Southern Tier's beers, especially the Choklat Stout (can't wait until that's available again), but I'm nervous about spending money on the Pumking, as I absolutely hated the last pumpkin ale I got (Dogfish Head). Way too many spices, made me a little sick.

There's a place a few blocks from my house that sells only growlers. Because of Georgia liquor laws, they can sell 32 & 64 ounce growlers of draft beer, but are not allowed to give out samples of the beer on the premises, so I have to take a gamble and possibly end up with a large amount of something I don't like. Thus far I've stuck to breweries I know are top notch.

Oh, and Abita put out an Oyster stout....stout brewed with oysters. I'm a bit scared to try it.

Oh, and Abita put out an Oyster stout....stout brewed with oysters. I'm a bit scared to try it.

oysterstouts can be awesome and yes many of them have an odd sort of saltiness to them. i've never had an oysterstout with strong full-blown oyster flavor, it's always a pretty subtle thing.

baph, oskar blues is absolutely bitchin! best canned beers i've ever seen. i've traded with americans for cans of the old chub and (i think) the double IPA. absolutely bitchin. never had the ten fidy tho.

as for an obscure high-gravity flavorful one, here's a pro-tip:

oerbier1.jpg

it's very very malty, plus a touch of sourness/lactic acid and lots of experimental yeast weirdness, belgian-style.

baph, oskar blues is absolutely bitchin! best canned beers i've ever seen. i've traded with americans for cans of the old chub and (i think) the double IPA. absolutely bitchin. never had the ten fidy tho.

Ten Fidy's my favorite OB by a long shot. I'll trade you one if you can track me down a Trappist Westvleteren 12 :spiteful:

Ten Fidy's my favorite OB by a long shot. I'll trade you one if you can track me down a Trappist Westvleteren 12 :spiteful:

i have a about six crates of wv8 and four crates of wv12 sitting a couple meters away from me right now, but they are for someone else :( i have a few bottles of my own wv12 stashed, oh and yeah it's real nice and smooth and all. but TBH i'd rather have a rochefort 10, or a st bernardus 12. the last one gets really close to the wv12 (and used to be made by the same recipe as wv12 when both were made at the st sixtus abbey, back in the day). OB's beers are awesomely lightweight--glass weight matters a lot--so, nice to ship. throw in a few of them old chubs too and i'll get you some westies?

So the Rocheforts and St. Bernardus actually get pretty close? I can get Rochefort 10 and SB 12 pretty easily.

Tell you what, you get yo'self to the States and the Oskar Blues is on me!

Green Flash Double Stout is pretty amazing

Green+Flash+Double+Stout.jpg

As far as Pumpkin beers, I'm not a huge fan, but Schlafly from St. Louis had a good one this year (thanks for the recommendation sneaks)

32767.jpg

And the best pumpkin beer I had was Chunkin Pumpkin. It's sweet pumpkin pie in a bottle! Pumpkin spices up front followed by sweet thick creaminess.

Crabtree-Chunkin-Pumpkin-Ale-300x225.jpg

So the Rocheforts and St. Bernardus actually get pretty close? I can get Rochefort 10 and SB 12 pretty easily.

Tell you what, you get yo'self to the States and the Oskar Blues is on me!

ha! rochefort 10 is a beast, 11.3%ABV and 1100OG. best malt profile ever, prolly best beer ever for me--IF i'm in the mood for something so rich (which has NOTHING to do with seasons WHATSOEVER, DAMMIT). it's probably not cheap in the US, cos it's already about 3 euro's in a bottleshop here.

st bernie 12, also a straight up malt bomb, real yeasty with all kinds of phenols belgian style. i prefer it to a westvleteren 12 cos it has even more of that licorice thing. i'm now sipping a andechs doppelbock, btw, which is rated highly and righteously so. it has lots of character still, but is much lighter and more-ish compared to the huge belgians, worth seeking out for sure.

Green Flash Double Stout is pretty amazing

Green+Flash+Double+Stout.jpg

yah! also i had their "hop flash" i think? excellent beers. tho the stout was very hoppy (i don't expect that much hops in a stout so USA stuff like this or GD's Yeti or Sierra Nevada Stout are pretty hardcore for me). the english/baltic style of stouts & porters is much more my thing, like a samuel smith's imperial stout or baltika 6 porter.

Archived