IGNORED

how many of you are unemployed?

Rubin Farr

yeah i agree with that, but i see it as a much darker phase (ie. those who used to be this body of labor are starved or killed off)

wea talked about this a lot in PMs Bread, in that, in theory I agree with you...but we don't take into account the willful relinquishing of power structures by those in power. its not about comfort, to a lot of people it is, as they say in the Wall Street movie, a "zero sum game". Emphasis on game; this isn't about healing the world, making it equitable, or to an extreme extent even about themselves. Its about winning a game, gaining more at the expense of a loser. You would have to remove any essence of that way of thinking in society before these structures could change.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not a question of hindering technology, it's a question of guiding the people or controlling their desires outright.

think where we could be in space exploration if we were to energize the public and convince them it's a noble pursuit that should be funded heavily. instead the people have been guided to emotions of fear and defense (by who? why?), and this technology gets the capital needed for progress. does the world need a deadlier weapon? a bigger bomb? flying robots strapped with guns and missiles and bombs? people are guided to believe that things like the "death tax" affect them so much that they are willing to take to the streets and protest, but only recently has there been a collective distaste in the wealth gap. until a few years ago, the standard response is "if you're unhappy with your wage, work more and make money." people are just now starting to realize that wealth is harder, not easier to come by even with the advent of new tech.

i guess my point is that technology and social research are actively being advanced by those in power, and those that are in power wish to stay that way, so they use advances to perpetuate a system in which they are the beneficiary. the consolidation of media has had a large effect on the ability to change or craft public opinion by only asking inconsequential, controversial questions to drive debate and of course be a distraction. how can we get the right answers if we ask the wrong questions? when the power to ask questions is in the hands of a corporation, obviously they will not injure their own interests.

i guess my point is that technology and social research are actively being advanced by those in power, and those that are in power wish to stay that way, so they use advances to perpetuate a system in which they are the beneficiary. the consolidation of media has had a large effect on the ability to change or craft public opinion by only asking inconsequential, controversial questions to drive debate and of course be a distraction. how can we get the right answers if we ask the wrong questions? when the power to ask questions is in the hands of a corporation, obviously they will not injure their own interests.

I sense that the "elites" (however you define elite), aren't in as much control as you think they are.

For example, although some could argue that the work done by Wikileaks/whistleblowers working in cooperation with each other hasn't added too much pressure on governments, it's clear that they showed a reversal of power to some extent as far as the media and public perception goes when certain leaks came about.

Look at the internet as well, and the power it holds to bring people together for a common cause and to highlight injustice across the planet (namely the Arab Spring and the recent Occupy protests). I think more of the same is inevitable. Remember as well that education is key to delivering a better world. If we can reach through to people via new media and the internet, the possibility of a better world increases all the time. I think we are living in interesting times right now - but I cannot, as with anyone else out there, predict with certainty how things will definitely map out - I can only go by current evidence/trends which point in particular directions.

Remember that there are more "underclasses" in the world than there are "upper classes" of individuals. This system is faulty as hell and I don't seeing it being continued (at least not in the same manner it is now) for the next 50 years because of so many serious, important variables going against it's survival, namely ongoing debt collapses (the monetary system/banking system and how money is created is a mathematical joke), ongoing tecnological unemployment and the rapid consumption and eventual depletion of oil reserves which holds up this system to a large extent.

I don't think that you have an organised group of powerful people all guiding the world in the same manner, like some kind of Alex Jones fantasy...

At least to me anyway, the evidence points to a fractured elite of people in the world, some conflicting with each other on ideologies and thoughts on how the world should be. On the other hand, the people who do not benefit a lot from this current system would hold this in common with many other people in their position.

yeah i agree with that, but i see it as a much darker phase (ie. those who used to be this body of labor are starved or killed off)

wea talked about this a lot in PMs Bread, in that, in theory I agree with you...but we don't take into account the willful relinquishing of power structures by those in power. its not about comfort, to a lot of people it is, as they say in the Wall Street movie, a "zero sum game". Emphasis on game; this isn't about healing the world, making it equitable, or to an extreme extent even about themselves. Its about winning a game, gaining more at the expense of a loser. You would have to remove any essence of that way of thinking in society before these structures could change.

Eventually through time, education and a united public all demanding equal access to basic human needs, I think we could have an optimistic future. I'm trying my best anyway. I'd rather try and contribute something on a personal level than just sit back and watch all the crap continue.

Guest Drahken

Employed, and in the process of buying the business I've been working at for the last 9 years. Should be mine by the end of next year assuming the corporate paperwork doesn't take too long.

Eventually through time, education and a united public all demanding equal access to basic human needs, I think we could have an optimistic future. I'm trying my best anyway. I'd rather try and contribute something on a personal level than just sit back and watch all the crap continue.

Fair enough. I try to do it my teaching my kids what I know, and try to challenge their conceptions of the world. But I try to admit to myself as much as I hate doing so that in the end, it rests on the individual to change.

Fair enough. I try to do it my teaching my kids what I know, and try to challenge their conceptions of the world. But I try to admit to myself as much as I hate doing so that in the end, it rests on the individual to change.

Keep up the good work SR4 :)

The way I see it - the individual is shaped by the ideas in the environment - therefore drop a few critical thoughts here and there, encourage them to question more, and that should lead them to a much healthier mindset on the way they think the world ought to be.

I sense that the "elites" (however you define elite), aren't in as much control as you think they are.

For example, although some could argue that the work done by Wikileaks/whistleblowers working in cooperation with each other hasn't added too much pressure on governments, it's clear that they showed a reversal of power to some extent as far as the media and public perception goes when certain leaks came about.

Look at the internet as well, and the power it holds to bring people together for a common cause and to highlight injustice across the planet (namely the Arab Spring and the recent Occupy protests). I think more of the same is inevitable. Remember as well that education is key to delivering a better world. If we can reach through to people via new media and the internet, the possibility of a better world increases all the time. I think we are living in interesting times right now - but I cannot, as with anyone else out there, predict with certainty how things will definitely map out - I can only go by current evidence/trends which point in particular directions.

Remember that there are more "underclasses" in the world than there are "upper classes" of individuals. This system is faulty as hell and I don't seeing it being continued (at least not in the same manner it is now) for the next 50 years because of so many serious, important variables going against it's survival, namely ongoing debt collapses (the monetary system/banking system and how money is created is a mathematical joke), ongoing tecnological unemployment and the rapid consumption and eventual depletion of oil reserves which holds up this system to a large extent.

I don't think that you have an organised group of powerful people all guiding the world in the same manner, like some kind of Alex Jones fantasy...

At least to me anyway, the evidence points to a fractured elite of people in the world, some conflicting with each other on ideologies and thoughts on how the world should be. On the other hand, the people who do not benefit a lot from this current system would hold this in common with many other people in their position.

all i believe is that everything in the world is controlled by money, and the same people are getting richer and richer. the newest millionares didn't inherit the money, but you can bet the newest billionares did( aside from a few new names (gates, google guys) ). i don't think it's really an alex jones conspiracy to say that the world "economy" is driven by a very small group of people who would undoubtedly collaborate and act in their own best interest.

i want to embrace your optimism regarding the internet, i just remain hopeful that it helps humans relate. i think people are naturally good but they are sheep. perhaps though, by communicating we can all realize this and stop fucking shit up.

sorry for hijacking the thread :emotawesomepm9:

thanks. sometimes i think watmm thinks i'm a nub
must be the sweater.

it's cold

Guest kokeboka

I see what you mean by technological unemployment, but I tend to look at the influence more on the side of how it generates a new kind of wealth rather than how it generates unemployment. For example, in the 1930's, a corporation able to generate a lot of profit typically meant someone owning a factory, investing heavily in machinery and providing jobs for hundreds of people. Technology and economic development has changed all of this. Nowadays, in certain services, you can generate enormous amounts of money employing just a few dozen people in an office with little more than computers, telephones and internet - no long pay roles, no raw materials, no expensive machinery. Something like an insurance agency or stock brokers, this is all it really comes down to. People owning and running certain tertiary businesses have become very wealthy very quickly in the last few decades, and they're not employing as many workers as a more traditional industry would. The proliferation of the tertiary sector, without adequate legislation and taxation, has in lot of cases widened the gap between rich and poor. I agree with you that these elites aren't in control, but they do seem to be able to influence political powers if push comes to shove (especially banks).

• 2 years later...

Ok guys it's been a couple years, is watmm faring any better in the job market? They say the Recession ended in 09 but that's bullshit. I still have friends being laid off, myself trying to land an overseas job, and ride this out far away from the Tea Party shenanigans.

Guest disparaissant

unemployed for the last few months, but it's because i'm at school full time and in a shitty area. hoping to transfer and work part time as well.

haha look at this loser

now i go to school full time AND work a shitty job full time and oh my god i want to die

Yeh I don't have a job.

I'm thinking of going back to school to become a teacher. Somehow, teaching children is the only thing that actually sounds worthwhile to me.

Got fired about a month ago... not because of the recession, but because my boss was a fucking dick. But it's hard finding jobs as an audio designer. Guess it's freelance from now on and until I die.

The job market is still cutthroat, but on the other hand I am now teaching and working on my doctorate with a fairly decent deal (at least in terms of academia). Im not really able to save up any money, but on the other hand I finally have affordable healthcare and can afford a decent meal out now and then. And this program is really helping me network.

At the same time there's even more pressure on me to perform than before, and Im having a bit of trouble adapting to all of this.

got the jobs i wanted in the uni, good relations with professors and administrations so the roots for future opportunities are constantly planted, the pay is alright and the work itself is interesting.

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

Archived