IGNORED

Steinvord - Steinvord

Redruth

if it's really tom or richard 'taking the piss' id say a more apt description is 'tom and richard piss takes' since yeah as you've identified there 'toms signature time stretch sound' a combination of spectral trickery and stretching from 10 years ago, why would it appear on a record now?

Because it sounds fucking amazing! Don't ever try to understand. 6 years on and I still cant get my head around the shift from Ultravisitor to Hello Everything. Makes no sense as a Squarepusher record to me whatsoever and probably never will. Personally I would accept endless variations on the Ultravisitor style forever. Fuck trying to move forward when you've already found perfection.

yeah I'd echo this sentiment more or less. really haven't been digging the more recent Squarepusher stuff at all. Do you know is far and away my fav album of his, Ultravisitor less so, but everything since then has felt like more and more of a let down. I'd probably be happy with endless variations of Do you know being released every 6 months. Obviously that's not gonna happen, and I can appreciate that artists move on to new pastures..

I have to say though, and this is not meant as trolling of any sort. But there has been a lot of VERY good hyper edited jungle/breakcore etc going around for the past 10 years, and more often than not its been offhandedly dismissed as old, not progressive, cliched or whatever. personally I still love it and always will. But it's interesting to see how none of that dismissivness is being applied to this EP, presumably since it's released on Rephlex, or might possibly have something to do with Aphex or Pusher..

personally I think it's quite a cool omen, perhaps the wheel is turning once more and the interest in the more intricate, complex programming will start to rise again. Id like that at least

a lot of the reason why i started getting annoyed with that type of stuff is that most of it turned into a technical wank exercise with no musicality to it. afx and squarepusher managed to do extremely musical stuff employing those techniques, but there were tons of people who just went hogwild with shitty edits/fx that were obviously just done to impress fellow self diagnosed aspergers sufferers. i STILL love the style, though, if someone "pulls it off", but i think there was an oversaturation of random wank at some point that ruined the popularity somewhat.

edit: ..and just to put my 2 cents in, there's no way this is aphex or squarepusher. i don't mind it, though, it sounds better to me now than when i initially heard it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so many tiny clips of Squarepusher samples in these tracks it would be very strange if it isn't him. Unless this is a tribute ep lol.

By the way the vinyl sounds marvellous

there has been a lot of VERY good hyper edited jungle/breakcore etc going around for the past 10 years

steinvord follows that "classic drill n bass" tradition. haven't heard such creative use of the amen since pusher. some jodey kendrick tracks fall into the same pot. just my two cents.

eyigpdipsfgoåhddsfahoisga

there has been a lot of VERY good hyper edited jungle/breakcore etc going around for the past 10 years

steinvord follows that "classic drill n bass" tradition. haven't heard such creative use of the amen since pusher. some jodey kendrick tracks fall into the same pot. just my two cents.

i dont understand, when you say you havent heard such a 'creative' use of the amen break... how are you using the word creative? because you sure as hell aren't using it to mean an original take on the amen break or pushing the envelope in any way (50% of the thread seem to think they recognize squarepusher samples in it, can you think of anything less 'original' than that if this artist really has nothing to do with those guys?)

edit: to me it's like listening to a 3tronik track and saying 'i havent heard such a creative use of glitch since autechre'

often i will walk into a watmm thread where the discussion seems to be of the 'up is down' 'black is white' variety, this is one of those times!

i dont understand, when you say you havent heard such a 'creative' use of the amen break... how are you using the word creative? because you sure as hell aren't using it to mean an original take on the amen break or pushing the envelope in any way (50% of the thread seem to think they recognize squarepusher samples in it, can you think of anything less 'original' than that if this artist really has nothing to do with those guys?)

edit: to me it's like listening to a 3tronik track and saying 'i havent heard such a creative use of glitch since autechre'

often i will walk into a watmm thread where the discussion seems to be of the 'up is down' 'black is white' variety, this is one of those times!

I sure mean an original take on the amen break, what else, does the fact that many ppl seem to hear sp samples lead you to prejudge my thinking. You overanalyze. By the end of the day its about like or dislike and judgment of a piece without comparison to something else at least for me.

In maelstroem, I think the amen is processed differently, I don't hear SP samples, DJ Gunshot Bell ?

I like the narrative aspect of that song, a strong visual one, like a good book, while using something as used up as an amen break, Imho thats "creative". Well its just my opinion

and maybe originality for me is less steps away from the origin

Archived