IGNORED

Steinvord - Steinvord

Redruth

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy was 18 when he uploaded the tracks on myspace back in 2008, so that would mean he was around 17-16 when he started (you don't learn to produce that stuff in a couple of weeks). If we were to post the music we did at that age it would be kinda embarrassing. Let's take that into consideration. Both Monolith and this guy are young people with excellent influences and great potential.

The guy was 18 when he uploaded the tracks on myspace back in 2008, so that would mean he was around 17-16 when he started (you don't learn to produce that stuff in a couple of weeks). If we were to post the music we did at that age it would be kinda embarrassing. Let's take that into consideration. Both Monolith and this guy are young people with excellent influences and great potential.

fuck that i bet u 3,50 its ol dirty richard

>>

rephlex knows virtually nothing about this artist. they discovered him via internet forum rumours a couple of years ago. all his communication has been very sporadic and unusual. they know his name but are not allowed to disclose it. all they can say about his location is europe. they think he probably makes music using a computer but they're not sure. they don't think he's released anything before. but the kids love it! and so do we. one might say that it has elements of electroacoustic sound sculpture colliding with fierce drum and bass rhythms but this wouldn't really be describing it too well. it's atmospheric future music, available on retro vinyl only for the foreseeable. but more work is expected in 2012. <<

this is hillarious!!

The guy was 18 when he uploaded the tracks on myspace back in 2008, so that would mean he was around 17-16 when he started (you don't learn to produce that stuff in a couple of weeks). If we were to post the music we did at that age it would be kinda embarrassing.

this is true, but not taking into account how complex and approachable music software became in 2006-7 . When i was 17 it was 1999, if you couldn't afford a hardware synth or a sampler your options for synth sounds and even samplers were pretty limited, doing what Steinvord does with soundfonts on Cakewalk pro would be practically impossible, doing it on Abelton live on a cheap PC is fairly possible.

i dunno, I started making music when I was 15, and I am 20 now, and I can't make anything like steinvord tbh, so I feel like it would take more than 2 years of learning. maybe I'm just slow though

I for one have yet to hear another AFX emulation at this level. That also holds when you take into consideration great, experienced producers (on Rephlex, WATMM, etc) who obviously try to copy the master at times.

The idea that "anyone" with some patience could do this is unreasonable, there simply are no examples to back that up. Please prove me wrong by posting three or four tracks (from one producer) that convincingly emulate different AFX "eras", even.

Steinvord might be "some kid" with a convincing grasp of the AFX pallette, but that kid would be the first, I say.

Someone here in this thread probably knows the truth, though.

i don't necessarily believe any story about him being a 'kid' until i am shown evidence of it. could just be another or different put-on If it's aphex, which i highly doubt it sounds like unreleased stuff from 5-6 years ago at least, not 'cutting edge' or post Rushup Edge aphex twin which is what we'd expect.

edit: oh and i don't agree with the premise other people haven't already successfully cloned eras of aphex twin, so im not going to bother posting examples you've probably heard most of them already.

The 18 years old spanish guy version of the story is unbelievable for me, as it's been said by other watmmers it's way too advanced technically for being such a kid. Also this version of the story is kinda lol and suits the humour of Aphex releasing stuff quite well. It's kind of the same humour than putting out a mysterious release with sheeps on it. I can definitely imagine him imagining this young and unknown spanish guy story with a smile.

Anyway I don't think it's just about technique. Well, I can hardly imagine one to spend so much time copying exactly some aphex and squarepusher mimics (because some details sounds simply identical to my ears), but also, it's all about the musicality of the tracks. I mean, you can learn to copy all these details if you spend a huge amount of time on them (like many years because the production is obviously excellent), but can you assemble all these details to make a whole that's so close to rdj and / or tom jenkinson music ? I don't think so. And if it is, well I think it's a very weird way to make music.

For sure that probably won't be like a step further if it's one of these two guys or both of them. But I wouldn't spit on some music from the depth of their HDDs anyway.

The 18 years old spanish guy version of the story is unbelievable for me, as it's been said by other watmmers it's way too advanced technically for being such a kid. Also this version of the story is kinda lol and suits the humour of Aphex releasing stuff quite well. It's kind of the same humour than putting out a mysterious release with sheeps on it. I can definitely imagine him imagining this young and unknown spanish guy story with a smile.

Anyway I don't think it's just about technique. Well, I can hardly imagine one to spend so much time copying exactly some aphex and squarepusher mimics (because some details sounds simply identical to my ears), but also, it's all about the musicality of the tracks. I mean, you can learn to copy all these details if you spend a huge amount of time on them (like many years because the production is obviously excellent), but can you assemble all these details to make a whole that's so close to rdj and / or tom jenkinson music ? I don't think so. And if it is, well I think it's a very weird way to make music.

For sure that probably won't be like a step further if it's one of these two guys or both of them. But I wouldn't spit on some music from the depth of their HDDs anyway.

Listen to "I Was Young and I Needed the Money" by Clifford Gilberto, this guy spent roughly two years cloning Squarepusher's FMWT, HND and Big Loada to such a degree that he was able to perfectly clone SP's production of that time.

Listen to "I Was Young and I Needed the Money" by Clifford Gilberto, this guy spent roughly two years cloning Squarepusher's FMWT, HND and Big Loada to such a degree that he was able to perfectly clone SP's production of that time.

Thanks!

I think no one is interested in pre Go Plastic era (which is what he asked about). I haven't heard any other guy comming up with that jungle-musique concrete thing successfully. The Go-Plastic and Ultravisitor era is what trully makes you wonder if Tom was even human to program such thing. His older stuff would be easier to come up with. It's basically old school jungle with melodies and bass guitar on top. Same goes with Aphex Twin. No one has come up with something like "untitled" that could be said to be something off that era. For example take Hospitality by Venetian Snares. Clearly Drukqs inspired but it just sounds so bland and forced. It lacks that good taste. Untitled by Steinvord flows with the beats and melodies, the progression is great, it's just a great track.

The guy was 18 when he uploaded the tracks on myspace back in 2008, so that would mean he was around 17-16 when he started (you don't learn to produce that stuff in a couple of weeks). If we were to post the music we did at that age it would be kinda embarrassing.

this is true, but not taking into account how complex and approachable music software became in 2006-7 . When i was 17 it was 1999, if you couldn't afford a hardware synth or a sampler your options for synth sounds and even samplers were pretty limited, doing what Steinvord does with soundfonts on Cakewalk pro would be practically impossible, doing it on Abelton live on a cheap PC is fairly possible.

I said 2, but im pretty sure it would take more than 2 years to get on that level to be honest. That would mean he was around 15 when he was working on that stuff. It's kinda rad. Most of us were probably making bad trance tunes on Garageband demo at that age.

I think no one is interested in pre Go Plastic era (which is what he asked about). I haven't heard any other guy comming up with that jungle-musique concrete thing successfully. The Go-Plastic and Ultravisitor era is what trully makes you wonder if Tom was even human to program such thing. His older stuff would be easier to come up with. It's basically old school jungle with melodies and bass guitar on top. Same goes with Aphex Twin. No one has come up with something like "untitled" that could be said to be something off that era. For example take Hospitality by Venetian Snares. Clearly Drukqs inspired but it just sounds so bland and forced. It lacks that good taste. Untitled by Steinvord flows with the beats and melodies, the progression is great, it's just a great track.

this ! (thanks for having a better english than me)

What would be good is that the release comes out eventually. Maybe it'll have some more evident clues because it's hard to say with those obscure unreleased tracks

i dont think i heard any steinvord music but that squarepusher clone thing is really weird, its almost the same beats !

It's very weird, it's like he found a bunch of Squarepusher tapes in the garbage full of broken beats and incomplete melodies and tried to make something out of them.

i dont think i heard any steinvord music but that squarepusher clone thing is really weird, its almost the same beats !

It's very weird, it's like he found a bunch of Squarepusher tapes in the garbage full of broken beats and incomplete melodies and tried to make something out of them.

i wonder what venetian snares thinks of this squarepusher clone...

Archived