IGNORED

avant garde? experimental stuff! penderecki similar artists...

logakght

Guest Wall Bird

For the tenth time since joining this site I will post:

[youtubehd]aI0P1NnUFxc[/youtubehd]

Also,

[youtubehd]H9tmxakztEI[/youtubehd]

and

[youtubehd]utQAXK15ZGM[/youtubehd]

iannis xenakis has also doen some stunning textural stuff for large ensembles. dude had a lot of balls.

"Lichens" (1983) for 96 players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZQ_VzKoFg

morton feldman is another warrior-poet hero of mine, and while he's usually smaller scale than xenakis/ligeti/penderecki etc, there's some golden nuggets of patterns of textures and patterns in his stuff:

iannis xenakis has also doen some stunning textural stuff for large ensembles. dude had a lot of balls.

"Lichens" (1983) for 96 players, or hiketides, are personal favorites in that style of his

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZQ_VzKoFg

morton feldman is another warrior-poet hero of mine, and while he's usually smaller scale than xenakis/ligeti/penderecki etc, there's some golden nuggets of patterns of textures and patterns in his stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ajLYpj_uQ

(fixt)

i don't think berio and varese are very penderecki-like overall, altho they both have huge impressive discogs to explore

i still say XENAKIS to the topicstarter as a place to start if looking for dense textural string stuff for LARGE groups of players

Coptic Light is amazing.

yes! i heard it first when i was quite young and it made a deep impression. i've heard several recordings and seen it performed live since, and it still holds mah interest. with the exception of coptic light and some other stuff, feldman is imo not very penderecki/ligeti-like neither (AT ALL). amazing warrior poet, tho.

Yeah but I'm not so hot on Penderecki (do love his first symphony though) so I just posted some stuff by a great experimental composer.

tristan mureil was posted earlier, and altho they don't have a fraction of the balls & the character that xenakis had, some spectralists have done (or are doing) some impressive clustery stuff as well

tristan mureil was posted earlier, and altho they don't have a fraction of the balls & the character that xenakis had, some spectralists have done (or are doing) some impressive clustery stuff as well

Murail's really gone downhill lately. He's started to use that OpenMusic software as a crutch. Le Lac was really poor, just a collage of chimey spectral "happenings" with no musical or significant structural link between them. I'm not too sure about the rest of the spectralists working today... I quite like some Georg Friedrich Haas but that's about it. Interesting you mention "balls and character". I would agree that most spectral music lacks both and just ends up sounding a bit wet and formless. Not Grisey, of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

He's my teacher as it happens. Not unknown at all, he was a professor at harvard and is published by faber. Just of a younger generation than all the others in the thread.

ps jim, i failed at my piano degree, that shit was fucking hard. currently working towards my 2nd level diploma independently. i found the insane level that i was expected to keep up with my peers extremely intimidating, and it took all of the fun out of playing amazing piano music.

Archived