IGNORED

Essential Autechre live sets

zlemflolia

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm listening to the amni remaster of LA 2008 and goddamn these first 20 minutes are pretty great. Really catchy section about 12-16 minutes. Really feels a lot like the official AE_LIVE releases in ways, more so than the sets after this but before 2014. Not in the sound pallette necessarily but more in the way it's structured and morphing together....they've always done that of course, but it seems a little more perfected here than in other sets. Haven't looked, does anyone know of the top of their head what gear they were using to tour around then?

I'm listening to the amni remaster of LA 2008 and goddamn these first 20 minutes are pretty great. Really catchy section about 12-16 minutes. Really feels a lot like the official AE_LIVE releases in ways, more so than the sets after this but before 2014. Not in the sound pallette necessarily but more in the way it's structured and morphing together....they've always done that of course, but it seems a little more perfected here than in other sets. Haven't looked, does anyone know of the top of their head what gear they were using to tour around then?

Quaristice tour was still Elektron era afair.

Yeah, it was dope in person too, so bangin. A lot of dancing, at least by American standards. Pretty small venue called the echoplex. I think i hear myself cheering in the Amni master but I'm not 100%. Still praying for a soundboard so i don't have to hear the "it doesn't sound like Autechre" dude.

There's a certain rigid grid-like aspect to the elektrons that they somewhat circumvented but the result was a kind of club friendly live sound, but with a lot of detail and evolution.

the result was a kind of club friendly live sound, but with a lot of detail and evolution.

Definitely so, that's why so many of us love those tour recordings I think, it's very much AE but also geared a bit more towards catchy melodies and grooves and just a more immediate and visceral approach to it all, while still very much them being them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

there were also some nords going on iirc

there were also some nords going on iirc
Yeah, it was Sean on Elektrons, Rob with the Mpc1000, Nord Modular, and a midi controller. Maybe some other special gear, but those were openly confirmed.

Yeah, the Bitstream 3X controller.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cme-bitstream-3x%3Famp

Yep, that's the one. Oh, and the mpc had a custom OS JJOS that improved functionality, recall Rob saying that. I'm imagining him triggering the sample like stuff in pro radii by hand, but that could be way off.

Interesting to try and think how they were actually controlling and coordinating all of that on different gear. I'm sure it was all tempo synced, but beyond that I wonder if there was any further syncing or what exactly. Trying to control multiple bits of hardware is something I'm doing these days, but without a computer or a 'master' machine (sequencer), syncing part changes is something I can't sort. They could've been using the MPC to trigger patch/pattern/etc changes on multiple machines at once, right? (probably getting into EKT levels of detail in asking) I know the Monomachine can do some external sequencing as well of course, but seems more likely the MPC would be the 'brain' if there even was one...

@auxien, yeah my guess is either one of the Elektrons or the MPC was the master sequencer coordinating program changes for part/scene changes. I can vouch for the machinedrum being able to do so. Also think the Nord was sequenced via the MPC.

I told you this before and I'm saying it again. I politely disagree with you thinking that this is the best way to master it. It's way too treble heavy and loud. The original file isn't very clean anyway so this hyper compression and extreme treble accentuation just brings out the weaknesses of the recording more and sounds very imbalanced and is far from what this set sounded live. It's very harsh on the ears. Not that harshness is generally a bad thing but this very obvious EQing that stays the same over the whole hour just doesn't sound right and it certainly doesn't sound the way the show actually sounded live.

do you have the unremastered file darreichungsform? The Amni version is the only one i’ve ever heard and i’m inclined to agree with you about the EQ. I’ve always wanted to hear the raw file..

do you have the unremastered file darreichungsform? The Amni version is the only one i’ve ever heard and i’m inclined to agree with you about the EQ. I’ve always wanted to hear the raw file..

Here is a slightly mastered version Bitroast (the guy who recorded it) approved of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83QrIIbhQI&t=1752s

Bitroast uploaded the completely untouched file here:

And I have the raw file (without Youtube 256kps compression) somewhere on my hard drive but can't be arsed to search it. It's somewhere in the thread about the set tho.

I don't think that no mastering at all is a good thing with raw field recordings like this. Maybe at some point I will try to do a better mastering of it. There are a couple of easy subtle changes one can do that make the whole thing sound much better that aren't really difficult, like centering the bass ( as the microphone changed its position a lot causing the bass being all over the place). But what do I know

Oh ya'll talking about the 2010 thing anyway. Damn shit I should listen more carefully I guess,,,

lol

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

amni, I think all your remasters are in the downloads section, aren't they? I've got a few on my hard drive somewhere if anyone's looking for one and can't find it, say so here and I'll see what I can dig up

Archived