IGNORED

Essential Autechre live sets

zlemflolia

I'm also thinking there's an MD deck in there somewhere, partly because this was around the time Minidisc was released and they seemed to be experimenting with them a bit, and partly because there seemed to be some distinctly prepared-sounding transitions.

lol--

"...we had tons of crashes. Home made sequencers we would modify on the road and which would always be pretty buggy as a result of that didn’t help. There were other factors obvious­ly: OS and driver updates, club conditions, heat and humidity.

Oh. Did everything go completely silent on stage?

A few times, yeah. Some nights we would have backup in the form of a bunch of sounds on a Minidisc player shuffling randomly, but you could only get away with it for a couple of minutes before people started shouting."

http://www.elektron.se/talk/110

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also- do you know the manchester 04-13-2001 set???

although i wouldn't call it an essential set, the third track (after a sped up Bike (!) & delay-heavy Boogie Down Bronx) stands out as a real killer, + i've never heard it anywhere else. real heavy beats & ominous synths, pure ae 2001 candy!!

anyone know the one i'm talking about?? yeah?

• 2 months later...

Can't believe no one has mentioned the turin set from 2010.

I stumbled across it by accident on soundcloud. Went to look for it now and i cant find it.

the sound quality is very good and sounded more alive and better to listen to than the other sets. Melbourne is pretty muddy (IMO)

luckily ive got it, and uploading it shortly. have fun

can someone re-up this one due to megaupload being pwnd and whatnot?

Should be this one

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a compilation of their live stuff? I have managed to locate the 1998 Palladium, 1998 Vancouver, 1996 Vienna, and the 2005 Glasgow Art School.... I know a lot of the sets were posted here but they were mediafire links and now they have all been blocked in the US. Help? Anyone? :emotawesomepm9:

Ohhh fuck yes.

Found these too:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AAutechre

Most of the stuff is mic recordings which I like, no doubt, but I'd like to find more soundboard recordings. Every set is like a whole new techre album

thanks for the link. that 2001 shoebox show has some nice sound quality to it

Ohhh fuck yes.

Found these too:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AAutechre

Most of the stuff is mic recordings which I like, no doubt, but I'd like to find more soundboard recordings. Every set is like a whole new techre album

thanks for the link. that 2001 shoebox show has some nice sound quality to it

showbox*

Indeed! The cleanest recordings I have come across so far, all about an hour:

Stormy Waters 1995

Vancouver 1998

New York @ The Palladium 2001

Toronto 5/09 2001

Glasgow Art School 2005

Gescom___2001_03_09___Nesh

Gescom___2003_11_06___France_Strasbourg

All of the recordings from the archive website are also great recordings.

http://thomascolliers.com/ae that usagi recommended has great stuff including ~34 hours of their DJing as part of an xltronic broadcast. There's a cool Rob Brown mixtape in there too. Great stuff :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

any set without arsehats talking and yelling nearby...:]

that all adds to the "live" atmosphere for me - I love hear twisted screams of terror and pleasure :cerious::music:

I also find the random bits of conversation as people walk past the recording device...

Silly American man: "It doesnt really sound like autechre at all...."

Does anyone still have the FLAC versions of Glasgow Art School 2005?

afaik there are no flac versions floating around... it was originally a 128kbps mp3, then someone on the board "found" a better 256kbps version on his computer a few years later...

Question

I was browsing the bocpages and noticed that the person who supposedly recorded the boc set at ATP also had this to say: "I got the AE set as well as some clips from some of the other performances. I think I still have the master MD's somewhere. Might be able to retransfer it and remaster eventually."

Anything ever materialize from this?

So far I've managed to get:

Oscillate 93

Flex 96

Toronto 01

Glasgow 05

Hemsby 07

Toronto 08

Is there any semi decent quality recordings from around the Draft era? Or did they not tour then? Also, any recommended good quality sets from 98-99? What's the best from that era? And does anyone know where the Melbourne 10 set can be located? Thanks :music:

Vancouver 1998 set is dope and good quality too... found in this thread (http://forum.watmm.com/topic/72689-guys-remember-that-autechrevancouver-1998-live-set/)

Also, for those who don't already know, this site has a ton of goodies:

http://thomascolliers.com/ae/

The Rob Brown mixtape is awesome! Very Gescom-y

Also some awesome sounding recordings from the Confield era here:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=autechre%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

They are room recordings but the sound is very awesome and unique... captures the space and sound very well.

Hope this will help y'aaaaaall.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest X Fretensis

Montreal and Glasgow '05 both blow me away, particularly the Montreal set. The Dublin '06 is pretty damn interesting - very hip-hop-y, if only perhaps because there's a stomping kick drum throughout, bass heavy, and distorted. The last 5 minutes are absolutely manic, sped-up-beat-madness that would have your head dangling from a broken neck if you kept head banging to it as it deserves.

My brother and I caught them at their 2010 show in Dublin and were quite disappointed. Maybe it was just a terrible mix at the venue, but all we got was beats - Ae at their most jittery, meth-freak disjointed and skittering beats. At one point they hit a slamming 4 to the 4 groove and everyone's spirits lifted, but then it just sank back into the morass - it struck me at the time as a bit of a 'F you' to us all there, and I was more than somewhat displeased. At another point, the beats dropped out and we could hear lush synth melodies and whatnot going on, which is what lead me to the more charitable conclusion that we just got stiffed by the mix.

The only way I can resolve this issue to my satisfaction is trying to get hold of rec of that set, which I've seen on slsk somewhere I could swear.

i had a similar experience at bloc festival from 2010, very beat heavy with little in the way of melodies and high end sounds. However the last show of the uk tour in london sounded completely different even though it was the same set. A great soundsystem operated properly is very much needed for the chre.

Guest X Fretensis

i had a similar experience at bloc festival from 2010, very beat heavy with little in the way of melodies and high end sounds. However the last show of the uk tour in london sounded completely different even though it was the same set. A great soundsystem operated properly is very much needed for the chre.

I agree completely. Glad to hear my experience was not an isolated one, even though not a positive - misery loves company as they say!

I saw them at Melbourne in 2010. I think the 2010 tour was particularly heavy, but I thought there was plenty of melody and high end stuff going on. It doesn't totally shine through on the recording of that show, but it's still a decent representation.

Still, I reckon Glasgow 2005 is just godly!

I agree completely. Glad to hear my experience was not an isolated one, even though not a positive - misery loves company as they say!

Definitely not alone. I saw them at that Bloc and was so disappointed. All I got was bassy kicks and a few hi sounds. After seeing the Quari tour I was well depressed. Then I heard the Domino recording and realised everything it was missing. If I heard all the extra details it would have been a perfect night, but the Domino recording recalls enough of the ruthless beatwork from that night and fills in all the gaps... May be my favourite AE recording.

Archived