IGNORED

Essential Autechre live sets

zlemflolia

Montreal and Glasgow '05 both blow me away, particularly the Montreal set. The Dublin '06 is pretty damn interesting - very hip-hop-y, if only perhaps because there's a stomping kick drum throughout, bass heavy, and distorted. The last 5 minutes are absolutely manic, sped-up-beat-madness that would have your head dangling from a broken neck if you kept head banging to it as it deserves.

My brother and I caught them at their 2010 show in Dublin and were quite disappointed. Maybe it was just a terrible mix at the venue, but all we got was beats - Ae at their most jittery, meth-freak disjointed and skittering beats. At one point they hit a slamming 4 to the 4 groove and everyone's spirits lifted, but then it just sank back into the morass - it struck me at the time as a bit of a 'F you' to us all there, and I was more than somewhat displeased. At another point, the beats dropped out and we could hear lush synth melodies and whatnot going on, which is what lead me to the more charitable conclusion that we just got stiffed by the mix.

The only way I can resolve this issue to my satisfaction is trying to get hold of rec of that set, which I've seen on slsk somewhere I could swear.

I recorded that entire Dublin '10 show and tis up on 'tube. I was upstairs for it......

I have the mp3 at home so will upload it somewhere tmrw

.. as long as you don't mind my italian buddy fucking screaming the whole time!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The band is Earth, the track is A Bureaucratic Desire For Revenge, Part 1.

The Autechre set was awesome, and the recording was a very clear and powerful mic recording. Thanks for the tip!

The band is Earth, the track is A Bureaucratic Desire For Revenge, Part 1.

The Autechre set was awesome, and the recording was a very clear and powerful mic recording. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. I think this one is the best live recording actually in terms of sound quality.

Thumbs up for the one who recorded this one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theSun

i think some form of that track exists on most/all quaristice sets.

my fav is the toronto 2008 one

• 1 year later...

Flex Vienna is beyond amazing

The part at the middle with the echoey strange percussion. It's amazing

I can't stop listening to the more dense parts like where Montreal is played on top of a shitload of other unreleased

Jesus

Thanks for this. I am in the middle of an AE Live set collecting binge after hearing how awesome Krakow was.

I saw 'em at Coachella '99 (Great set) and LA again in '01. I'm trying to figure out if I recorded the 01 show on minidisc as that was a hobby at the time. No idea how i'd get it onto a computer these days tho.

Does anyone still have the FLAC versions of Glasgow Art School 2005?

afaik there are no flac versions floating around... it was originally a 128kbps mp3, then someone on the board "found" a better 256kbps version on his computer a few years later...

is this still around?

afaik there are no flac versions floating around... it was originally a 128kbps mp3, then someone on the board "found" a better 256kbps version on his computer a few years later...

is this still around?

Yes

is this still around?

Yes

thanks, you're a real guy

I feel like we need 'essential' list because I'm getting lost in all the remasters going on in the Kraków thread

Here's what I got

Stormy Waters (i forget what year)

Oscillate Birmingham (i forget what year)

Flex 96

Toronto 2001 (remaster? crowd noise? lel)

Glasgow 2005 (256 kbps?)

Los Angeles 2008

Melbourne 2010 (new remaster?

Kraków 2014

What are the really good ones I'm missing?

I insist that the Domino recording of the Oversteps tour is by far and away the best and most meaty sounding of the 2010 recordings. Melbourne just sounds too dry, no power to it at all. That would be my pick for essential Oversteps recordings.

Amni remaster of Krakow is amazing. Definitely essential 2014. Would love to see what he could do to the Domino set actually.

Archived