IGNORED

EP7

Redruth

Which do you guys think is weirder, this or Confield?

I think they're almost on par.

Confield is more experimental in a truer sense, more adventurous or something.

EP7 has plenty of otherworldly (certainly for the time) sounds, yet there is a definite groove to a lot of the tracks, rpeg and zeiss contarex come to mind in that regard: they're funky in a more typical sense. I don't know how much I can elaborate without a 5,000-word post though, and who would read that?

I think of it like: Confield: pushing the boundries in all regards. EP7: relaxed alien funk.

Note: Maphive6.1 sounds like it could have been on Confield, vice versa for Sim Gishel.

IMO.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Ccec is weird as hell, I have to say that Confield is definitely weirder for me, in that it's much more abstract with more unconventional rhythms. ep7 has strange sounds all over the place, but the way they're sequenced and composed isn't that atypical, whereas Confield has a ton of experimentation that can't be easily dissected due to how dense it is.

I think Draft and Untilted are both weirder, though, while Quaristice is significantly weirder than all of them, Exai is somehow even weirder than Quaristice, and Oversteps is about as weird as LP5 or Chiastic Slide.

While Ccec is weird as hell, I have to say that Confield is definitely weirder for me, in that it's much more abstract with more unconventional rhythms. ep7 has strange sounds all over the place, but the way they're sequenced and composed isn't that atypical, whereas Confield has a ton of experimentation that can't be easily dissected due to how dense it is.

I think Draft and Untilted are both weirder, though, while Quaristice is significantly weirder than all of them, Exai is somehow even weirder than Quaristice, and Oversteps is about as weird as LP5 or Chiastic Slide.

I don't know if it's because of the weirdness but Quaristice is still my all-time fave.

Quaristice would be one of my favorites probably if it weren't for Fol3, fwzE, and bnc Castl. Those songs are so bad and they're all grouped together. I like the Quadrange EP much better because it's strong from beginning to end without any of those sketchy weird tracks. Ironically, Quaristice feels more like the outtakes EP while Quadrange seems like the full-length. I wish that were the case.

I used to always skip Fol3 until my cousin bought me the vinyl release and then it was too inconvenient to skip. I came to realize there is a lot going on in there! Not just textures but weird rhythms and melodies.

I don't get the hatred for bnc Castl! I think it's a great track, it sounds silly at first until this undercurrent of madness and anxiety sets in, it's like a really messed up candy colored dream. With the context of the title, it makes me think of what it would feel like to bounce on a trampoline (or bouncy castle) and for time to slow down to almost a standstill as you reach the top of the arc. fwzE is alright, it doesn't really say anything to me but it's a fun enough drum machine exercise.

EP7.2 is such a great run of tracks. Dropp and Pir work nicely as bookends, in particular.

I don't love the flow of 7.1 some reason; doesn't ever quite grab into my brain as well as the second half. Still like all the tracks individually, though.

I don't really hate Fol3 as much as the other two, it just isn't that interesting to me. I've never listened to it that closely, though. fwzE, on the other hand, is a track that I hate with a deep passion. It's horribly annoying to listen to and not interesting at all. It just sounds like silly clown music on an otherwise interesting album. bnc Castl just isn't pleasant to listen to. It sounds like those obnoxious old dial-up machines. I really don't get why anyone would want to listen to that.

I don't really hate Fol3 as much as the other two, it just isn't that interesting to me. I've never listened to it that closely, though. fwzE, on the other hand, is a track that I hate with a deep passion. It's horribly annoying to listen to and not interesting at all. It just sounds like silly clown music on an otherwise interesting album. bnc Castl just isn't pleasant to listen to. It sounds like those obnoxious old dial-up machines. I really don't get why anyone would want to listen to that.

cause fwzE is autechre's vitamin :cisfor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5xCAyZyBw

Guest pixelives

EP7 seems very "grainy" with lots of midrange and extreme compression and gated reverb going on. Definitely similar in that regard to the next few albums with melodies pushed back a bit.. LP5 retains some of the lushness of earlier LPs

Ep7 is a mixed bag, it has some standout tracks like left blank, maphive 6.1, Zeiss contarex, pir. On the whole it doesn't have me coming back for more nearly as much as other autechre albums though. Especially compared to confield which I find to be a much more engrossing listen with so much depth, and yeah it is weirder than ep7.

Anybody else love Netlon Sentinel as much as me? That track just gets me every time, especially the breakdown towards the end when the percussion all drops out and it's just supertense extended synth lines for just the right amount of time before the percussion comes crashing back in to finish the track. Perfection IMO.

Anybody else love Netlon Sentinel as much as me? That track just gets me every time, especially the breakdown towards the end when the percussion all drops out and it's just supertense extended synth lines for just the right amount of time before the percussion comes crashing back in to finish the track. Perfection IMO.

Yes.

• 9 months later...

Which do you guys think is weirder, this or Confield?

I think they're almost on par.

Confield is more experimental in a truer sense, more adventurous or something.

EP7 has plenty of otherworldly (certainly for the time) sounds, yet there is a definite groove to a lot of the tracks, rpeg and zeiss contarex come to mind in that regard: they're funky in a more typical sense. I don't know how much I can elaborate without a 5,000-word post though, and who would read that?

I think of it like: Confield: pushing the boundries in all regards. EP7: relaxed alien funk.

Note: Maphive6.1 sounds like it could have been on Confield, vice versa for Sim Gishel.

IMO.

Here is that post:

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/?p=2086196

• 9 months later...

Why is this still one of their best? I love it so much, third listen in a row today

I think of it sort of as a B-Sides collection: tracks that are pretty great, but don't contextually meld into an album or EP. So the end result is plenty varied in sounds and attitudes and emotions, but still full of quality.

Even with all that, don't think I could listen to it three times in a row :)

remember it took me a long while before i got to the point where i enjoyed the entire album. dropp was the easy track, but the rest was really strange at first. from the autechre that came after ep7 i loved them the most when they went ep7, so to speak. the funky fuckery sprinkled with some hidden melodies here and there. at least, to the extent you can still call them melodies.

the sounds themselves may have aged a bit nowadays. but the music is still ace. don't mind that it sounds aged though. comes with the territory of electronic music.

This is the record that made me fall in love with Autechre. I was keen before, but this was a game-changer for me. When I was 18 (1999), this and Front 242's Geography (which obviously had come out nearly two decades prior) practically informed my aesthetic transition into adulthood.

Why is this still one of their best? I love it so much, third listen in a row today

I think of it sort of as a B-Sides collection: tracks that are pretty great, but don't contextually meld into an album or EP. So the end result is plenty varied in sounds and attitudes and emotions, but still full of quality.

Even with all that, don't think I could listen to it three times in a row :)

Yes, it's like a colourful bag of candy without being annoying. I also like the hip-hop-ish side of that record even if it's kind of hidden

remember it took me a long while before i got to the point where i enjoyed the entire album. dropp was the easy track, but the rest was really strange at first. from the autechre that came after ep7 i loved them the most when they went ep7, so to speak. the funky fuckery sprinkled with some hidden melodies here and there. at least, to the extent you can still call them melodies.

the sounds themselves may have aged a bit nowadays. but the music is still ace. don't mind that it sounds aged though. comes with the territory of electronic music.

I think it aged very well and the retro vibes make it even more interesting for me

Archived