Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Autechre

EP7

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 AE35unit

AE35unit

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 05-March 15

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

slightly off topic, but i always had the impression that gelk from peel session 2 was something of a companion piece to maphive 6.1 - same mood, similar sounds or sth

Same here... above all, the rhythmic metamorphosis. Personally I have always associated Maphive to geakwad: not for sounds and melodies, as well as for the gradual slowing down, crossed by unpredictable percussion, renewing the sense of the entire song, second by second. The musical dimension of Calatrava.

#127 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

<3Squeller<3

#128 The CIA

The CIA

nothing to see here sir

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

listening back to EP7 for the first time in years and enjoying it. I always loved Rpeg (a.k.a. Baba O'Reilly) and Ccec's future hip hop, then there are a run of about 4 which sound like ideas that could have fit on LP5 or Chiastic but less interesting, but then by the end it gets more mellow with Zeiss Contarex preceeding the grimy dub of Draft 7.30 and then Pir has one of their most beautiful melodies

i wouldnt say the sound has dated, Maphive has that kind of haunted General Midi sound Oneohtrix Point Never like to make use of these days, Liccflii sounds like early Actress. 

#129 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

• Members Plus
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

slightly off topic, but i always had the impression that gelk from peel session 2 was something of a companion piece to maphive 6.1 - same mood, similar sounds or sth

Was going to say I agree, I always thought a track off peel sessions sounded like maphive 6.1, but I checked it out and to me it's Gaekwad. Very similar sound set, also PMA5 I presume.

#130 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

• Members Plus
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Zeiss Contarex is such a favourite track, remember when it first clicked, listening to it laying in bed one morning zoning out staring at the ceiling. Love the way it gradually teases more and more of the main melody line, then as soon as it finally fully resolves they pull the rug from under you. Blew my tiny mind.

#131 Poiman

Poiman

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 31-May 10

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

remember it took me a long while before i got to the point where i enjoyed the entire album. dropp was the easy track, but the rest was really strange at first. from the autechre that came after ep7 i loved them the most when they went ep7, so to speak. the funky fuckery sprinkled with some hidden melodies here and there. at least, to the extent you can still call them melodies.

the sounds themselves may have aged a bit nowadays. but the music is still ace. don't mind that it sounds aged though. comes with the territory of electronic music.

I actually sort of feel like all the albums from Tri Rep onwards have aged incredibly gracefully. The sound never seemed forced like they are trying to show off or anything, and that means they age more gracefully than some others who are trying to always push for the phattest beats or whatever. I just listened to Chi Slide yesterday and it's crunchy industrial goodness hasn't aged at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Autechre