IGNORED

Raster Noton

Soloman Tump

So...

Pretty much every new release from this label is billed as "essential" by Boomkat / Bleep / etc...

And they do have a pretty prolific release schedule (seems to be 2-3 albums a month).

The only albums I have are Kangding Ray's "OR" and Mark Fell's "Multistability", both of which I enjoy.

A lot of the labels output seems to be the glitchy/minimal/experimental stuff which I want to know more about - any thoughts?

The Kangding Ray album was advertised as their most accessible release, and to be fair it is very much a straight up club minimal tech release (but it is very good). Have they released anything else similar to this vein?

I trust you WATMM.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like Kangding Ray then you should also like Senking - Pong, it's like its minimal downbeat cousin and is bloody brills - http://boomkat.com/c...84-senking-pong

Also see/hear Byetone - Death of a Typographer which again is similar - http://boomkat.com/c...f-a-typographer

Guest Greg Reason

CoH is very fucking good. He tends to be really quite abstract, and it's music you need to listen to with a large degree of concentration but I find it quite enjoyable. Even a little silly at times.

Mika Vainio is excellent as well, and Mark Fell of course

If you like less clubby/minimal/glitch, i'd suggest Alva Noto collabs (5 records) with Ryuchi Sakamoto (mix of romantic/minimal piano with ambients drones or beats), aslo the drone records by Alva Noto (Xerrox 2). Regarding glitchy/minimal i'd say Datamaplex by Ryoji Ikeda, a really strong album.

Guest Greg Reason

oh yes and they put out that 20 minute Coil / ELpH thing too, that was nice, I always forget about that one.. So many releases!

I do really appreciate that Raster Norton are issuing stuff in higher fidelity. It was lovely of them to issue SND's Atavism in 24/96 :biggrin: I really wish more labels would get into this, and I'm sure it will happen increasingly often as labels realize that a decent percentage of the people who actually buy music will be happy to pay a bit extra for higher quality. And Atavism proved, the physical carrier need not be large at all (if a physical item is even involved; people like Paul McCartney have started issuing high fidelity versions of their releases as downloads with no packaging whatsoever) so storage is not an issue.

Guest MortstoX

Pretty much every new release is billed as "essential" by Boomkat

:cisfor: fixd!

As mentioned: The other Kangding Ray releases. Alva Noto (Xerrox 1&2 and Noto+Sakamoto is his best AND most accessible releases methink), Byetone and Frank Bretschneider.

Pretty much every new release is billed as "essential" by Boomkat

:cisfor: fixd!

The thing is that Boomkat is a shop first and foremost and not a place for reviews. They're gonna want to sell stuff so big up almost everything (you know that there's a big big problem when there's an average write-up or even the slightest hint of criticism)

check these

Pixel - The Drive

Alva Noto – Xerrox Vol.1 & 2, For, For 2, Transform (and his collaborations with Sakamoto)

Byetone - Death Of A Typographer

Atom™ – Liedgut

Aleph-1 – Aleph-1

Signal – Robotron

Thanks for the recommendations so far, will be sure to check them out.

Ive never really got into Alva Noto so I think i need to revisit his works by all accounts.

I was hoping to wait for the DVD release of "Cyclo" but I dont think its surfaced yet...

Guest MortstoX

I had some problems with Alva Noto to begin with. I didn't (and still don't) like his trans-series, and it wasn't until I heard the collab with Sakamoto (Vrioon and Insen) I realised his qualities. The Xerrox-albums are his best releases, imo.

Guest disparaissant

Pixel - The Drive

Fucking love this album.

Seconding Byetone, anything by him (incidentally Olaf Bender does almost all of the design work for the albums. amazing stuff.)

• 5 months later...

Komet - Gold.

Fantastic release, really lovely and hypnotic.

Another vote for Xerrox vol 1 and 2. My favourite ambient albums ever.

Also check out Alva Noto - univrs, unitxt and Prototypes.

Komet - Gold.

Fantastic release, really lovely and hypnotic.

Another vote for Xerrox vol 1 and 2. My favourite ambient albums ever.

Also check out Alva Noto - univrs, unitxt and Prototypes.

did you check Byetone - SyMeta? this stuff is intense. I missed most of this - the stuff you mention too so I feel like finding a second WARP Records currently. This is incredible

Archived