IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest EleminoP

I should mention, since it's the first page and all, that Scud: The Disposable Assassin is my favorite comic ever. It was compiled into a large trade paperback called The Whole Shebang.

15091921_1.jpg

This comic is so creative and weird. Definitely an influence in my creative thought.

this shit changed my life man. so fucking good.

Guest bitroast

I don't see how anyone could buy comics in a digital format. I understand it's convenient and "green," but there's something to holding the actual physical thing in your hand. I tend to value it more when I can actually touch it.

Digital comics on an iPad (or any tablet I'm assuming) makes a world of difference as far as this argument is concerned. I still prefer reading and holding physical items, but sampling new comics or downloading out of print works ( Alan moore's miracle man being a good example) is all pretty sweet on the iPad screen

Guest RadarJammer
I don't see how anyone could buy comics in a digital format. I understand it's convenient and "green," but there's something to holding the actual physical thing in your hand. I tend to value it more when I can actually touch it.

I found a pretty good technique for reading comics and manga on a computer. A good image viewer like Cview and gamepad>key/mouse program like JoyToKey and have a button configured to switch between fit width to screen for joystick scrolling and fit to screen for full page scenes. L&R to change pages. Lounge back with gamepad and some sunglasses for long sessions.

I like Jodorowsky The Incal (original coloring)

That was one of the worst comics I ever bought. Seriously. There's some comics I don't like, some comics I hate and then there's The Incal.

The writing is... "creative" but it's still an amazing comic imo. I also enjoyed of course Moebius works but those are hard to find in English so I didn't recommend them. The Airtight Garage would be a good start if you can find it in the original black and white version.

Digital comics on an iPad (or any tablet I'm assuming) makes a world of difference as far as this argument is concerned. I still prefer reading and holding physical items, but sampling new comics or downloading out of print works ( Alan moore's miracle man being a good example) is all pretty sweet on the iPad screen

I can understand wanting to get the out of print stuff. That's actually a good way to do it, but I think if I had the choice to either have a stack of physical books or some files on a device, I would choose the physical medium almost every time. I enjoy going to the comic shop and interacting with other nerds.

That was one of the worst comics I ever bought. Seriously. There's some comics I don't like, some comics I hate and then there's The Incal.

The writing is... "creative" but it's still an amazing comic imo. I also enjoyed of course Moebius works but those are hard to find in English so I didn't recommend them. The Airtight Garage would be a good start if you can find it in the original black and white version.

Jodorowsky has some great ideas that'll fit very well in a Moebius comic, but Jodorowsky simply doesn't know how to write a comic.

Jodorowsky has some great ideas that'll fit very well in a Moebius comic, but Jodorowsky simply doesn't know how to write a comic.

Not even the Metabarons? I haven't read all the books but I liked'em, it's hard to track them down over here.

Guest bitroast

I can understand wanting to get the out of print stuff. That's actually a good way to do it, but I think if I had the choice to either have a stack of physical books or some files on a device, I would choose the physical medium almost every time. I enjoy going to the comic shop and interacting with other nerds.

yessss.

comic shop nerds are some of the best people on the planet.

hahaha. i agree with this. i'm currently 5/6 through the complete incal collection released recently, and it is indeed a messy incoherent book. i'm sticking with it to the end for the artwork, but the writing is horrible.

I feel this way about many things.

I feel this way about many things.

I produce enough clutter as it is without adding to the problem.

here is one reason that a hardcore comic fan might prefer digital format

Miracleman TPB (out of print) ebay auctions (softcover):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item415f1d48b3

Buy it now price: $567

these also came in hard cover versions, the price on those all together would probably be around $900

it's one of the only comics that i know of where buying the original issues individually would be cheaper than buying a collection and its only 25 issues total (doing that would set you back $300 at least)

Edited by Awepittance

• 2 weeks later...

Past few months I've read

akira, loved the film so I wanted to read it as well.

Battle angel alita, still one of my favs

Battle angel last order, kinda good but I lost interest when it stopped featuring alita as much.

Currently on spawn from the first issue

As a younger lad I used to buy a ton of star wars one-offs, dark empire being the best. Read some spider-man, x-men, 2000ad, spawn, the creech and so on. Read all the tintin books. Blade of the Immortal was pretty much the only manga I liked.

Lately I've been reading all the Alan Moore I've managed to find. I thought Watchmen was amazing, but shit, From Hell is just beyond words.

Maus was really good as well.

currently and sporadically reading The Boys, Transmetropolitan, deadpool, Vagabond and Promethea.

3918201437.jpg

^Literally found this at my local library, on display, and picked it up last week. It's a collection of a few stories about Vikings sailing west to America, Scandinavian pagans versus Christian missionaries, (insert metal lyrical topic here), etc. So far so good, I really enjoy the artwork.

Besides some Marvel series my brother read I never got into comics too much. Mostly read Star Wars EU issues put out on Dark Horse. I also read Maus, which I enjoyed. It was a random Christmas gift actually.

5195RF6X8FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by joshuatxuk

5195RF6X8FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes. Not funny but very good one.

hahaha. i agree with this. i'm currently 5/6 through the complete incal collection released recently, and it is indeed a messy incoherent book. i'm sticking with it to the end for the artwork, but the writing is horrible.

Come on, what's wrong with The Incal ? It's one of the best science fiction stories I've read. I agree with the fact it's special, but still... The Incal world is just full of funny absurd details, and that's maybe not the field where you're expecting a sci-fi story to go (?)

Edited by Antape

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I should mention, since it's the first page and all, that Scud: The Disposable Assassin is my favorite comic ever. It was compiled into a large trade paperback called The Whole Shebang.

15091921_1.jpg

This comic is so creative and weird. Definitely an influence in my creative thought.

God...damn * Nostalgic OVERLOAD *

The Sega Saturn game was hard as shit ! :wtf: I would love to see a Team Ninja remake .