IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

• 2 weeks later...

I used to collect Spawn comics, but I've fallen WAY behind in the series, and the ridiculous price to obtain back issues from 100-120 makes it kind of a pain in the ass to catch up.

Greg Capullo's The Creech mini-series is pretty awesome, I also have the "Big Fat Kill" story arch from Sin City, and I love that one, hope to eventually get the whole collection

Watchmen was a great read, I've been meaning to purchase From Hell

I've been meaning to check out Invincible and Haunt as well

The Walking Dead has always interested me, and I like the show, but I've never been able to get myself to start reading the comic.

For an Xmas present to myself I think I'm gonna buy Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Killing Joke ... I've been meaning to get more into Batman for a while

• 7 months later...

has anyone else read Y: The Last Man? curious to hear opinions.

I did a while back. Fun comic. Didn't really stick out too much until the last arc when things get all heavy, but still enjoyable. Like a big dumb action movie kinda.

Been reading a lot of Batman novels in the last year (been on a huge Batman fix, im dying waiting for The Dark Knight Rises)... I've read Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and Bloodstorm. All of those were great reads except the last one, which was a really stupid spin-off where Batman becomes like dracula and is barely related to the whole Batman universe. I was given it by my former roommate and should have known it'd be dumb because he described it as "so fucking awesome" and he's a tasteless fuckhead.

Next I'd really like to read the Jeph Loeb Batman novels: I'll probably start with The Long Halloween, then move to Dark Victory

Guest Gary C

Long Halloween is good, but I wasn't crazy about Hush. Selina/Catwoman was done well, though. I might have a negative opinion because my copy is a big mangled. The middle 8 pages are printed horizontally on A5 paper or something. It's a fuck-up that I'm sure someone on Amazon was happy to get rid of. I'll do the same at some point.

Been reading a lot of Batman novels in the last year (been on a huge Batman fix, im dying waiting for The Dark Knight Rises)... I've read Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and Bloodstorm. All of those were great reads except the last one, which was a really stupid spin-off where Batman becomes like dracula and is barely related to the whole Batman universe. I was given it by my former roommate and should have known it'd be dumb because he described it as "so fucking awesome" and he's a tasteless fuckhead.

Next I'd really like to read the Jeph Loeb Batman novels: I'll probably start with The Long Halloween, then move to Dark Victory

I quite liked Bloodstorm, Red Rain is a shit load better though.

Maybe I just got bored with the Batman universe though and I just love dat goff shit.

reading this atm

league_2009_cover_sm_lg.jpg

Moore might not have as much greatness as he has had in the past but this is still filled with references and story lines linked to subjects I love, so he still knows who his audience is.

Hmm, maybe I'd enjoy it more if I had read Red Rain, but I found Bloodstorm to be pretty cheesy.

There's nothing wrong with cheesy, you're reading a comic about a man dressed like a big rubber bat. :biggrin:

Moore might not have as much greatness as he has had in the past but this is still filled with references and story lines linked to subjects I love, so he still knows who his audience is.

I was hoping Moore would use the opportunity to touch on more current cultural icons, but I get the feeling his interest in things past the late 1800s sort of tapers of exponentially.

Although it is left sort of open-ended so maybe he's planning further LXG story arcs.

I am sure he is. He could go on forever with this formula. The Bond and Harry Potter references in this latest one are pretty current.

I am sure he is. He could go on forever with this formula. The Bond and Harry Potter references in this latest one are pretty current.

Yeah, there was also some stuff tying in The West Wing & I imagine a few others, but in the previous issues every panel was like a deluge of shoutouts & here it was more focused on specific franchises

not complaining just making nitpicks

there's a lot more to it than that, come on

I didn't mean it in a derogatory sense, I just meant that reading it felt like going to see a large budget summer movie except successfully translated to a 60 issue series

Robert Crumb - My Troubles With Women

epic

Have you seen the amazing (though rather darkly disturbing) documentary on his life - Crumb ?

No ! but you question makes me want to find it. I think I heard about it recently but can't remember exactly. Thanks for the idea anyway

I think I read these two pages in an edition of My Troubles With Women as well. Or somewhere else ? These drawings make me want to read more by him, I didn't know that much of his books, maybe five of them. I think my favourite one was Amerika so far

Edited by Antape

Traded in some of my post-issue 100 Spawn collection (series kinda fell off after issue 100) and got The Long Halloween, can definitely see how Christopher Nolan borrowed elements of this one throughout the films, I'm about halfway through already and enjoying it quite a bit.