IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

^ Monteys is in my top 3 favorite national artists

Can you recomend anything else good by him? Would love more in the similar vein, but seems this was his first foray into sci-fi

if you cant read spanish there's quite literally no more Monteys for you to read unfortunately... [actually he has a graphic novel coming out on Image this year, written by Matt Fraction]

he hasn't done any long format stuff actually, besides some zines from his early years. His body of work are long weekly series and political/social commentary strips he did for El Jueves, a weekly mag that he (and like a dozen other artists) abandoned when they got a cover censored and recalled with no prior warning for criticizing the King (in current year)

that's all for today's "information no one asked for about authors you'll never read"

Fascinating  :cool: 

• 3 weeks later...

Is this really where the DC universe is going?  I admit I only follow it for the occasional Batman storyline, but having the Watchmen "secretly" in control of the DCU, and more specifically, Doctor Manhattan for an unspecified period of time, seems like desperation on DC's part.  We've seen Marvel is about to walk back significantly on their diversity approach to characters, so DC thinks, "just pretend it never happened"?  I feel this is a disservice not only to the Vertigo universe, and Morrison's creations, but they still seem like they're playing catch up to Marvel's synergy of movies to comics.

• 1 month later...

I've been falling balls first into Boom! Studios' output recently. Spent most of my birthday money on Lumberjanes, Giant Days, and Hi-Fi Fight Club, as well as getting into UFOlogy and Misfit City. It's such a diverse, exciting breath of fresh air, and I'm hoping this will reinvigorate my love of comics. May their trades never go out of print.

Will happily take likeminded recommendations.

Len Wein, co-creator of Wolverine and Swamp Thing has passed away :(

http://io9.gizmodo.com/len-wein-co-creator-of-wolverine-and-editor-of-watchme-1803098383

:(

I also am collecting the Alan Moore era of Swamp Thing TPs, not read most of it before.  Great art / page layout / story.

I actually enjoyed the New-52 era Swamp Thing.

Len Wein, co-creator of Wolverine and Swamp Thing has passed away :(

http://io9.gizmodo.com/len-wein-co-creator-of-wolverine-and-editor-of-watchme-1803098383

:(

I also am collecting the Alan Moore era of Swamp Thing TPs, not read most of it before. Great art / page layout / story.

I actually enjoyed the New-52 era Swamp Thing.

Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid is a good companion piece to Swamp Thing, IMO

IMG_6876.jpg

• 3 months later...

"Arsène Schrauwen" is a great, and also really weird book. Both what is told and how it's told are an almost perfectly 50/50 blend of classic and progressive/"avant garde". There's a trend now of making abstract comics that ultimately amount to nothing but eye candy, but on this one it's actually done effectively and with a purpose. gr8 just gr8

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been reading Alan Moore's Providence for some issues now. Usually stuff based on Lovecraft's stories (besides the originals of course) is a bit meh, but this is brilliant. I didn't like Neonomicon that much but this I dooo.. Need to probably check the Courtyard also.

• 2 months later...

Bittersweet, got distracted making dinner tonight and got outbid in the last few minutes on Spawn issues 122-149, which aren't collected anywhere else in trade... However I did pick up a sweet deal on the complete Armageddon collection. Spawn's like one of the first titles I ever really started collecting.

Also got a good shot of my collection all setup in the new apartment...

34342479_10155686306706089_9068287970456

picked up all of the alan moore swamp thing novels

Prepare to turn into or already enforce views about Gaia and the interconnectedness of it all. Moore taps into the soil here and I'm sure became symbiotic with it at the same time. Do love me a bit of Swamp Thing and his patience.

got the first 2 Alan Moore volumes, will definitely continue on when they come up in a sale at some point

Been reading Alan Moore's Providence for some issues now. Usually stuff based on Lovecraft's stories (besides the originals of course) is a bit meh, but this is brilliant. I didn't like Neonomicon that much but this I dooo.. Need to probably check the Courtyard also.

I wasn’t super pleased with Neonomicon either, so passed on Providence. But I might check it out now, thx.

picked up all of the alan moore swamp thing novels

Prepare to turn into or already enforce views about Gaia and the interconnectedness of it all. Moore taps into the soil here and I'm sure became symbiotic with it at the same time. Do love me a bit of Swamp Thing and his patience.

got the first 2 Alan Moore volumes, will definitely continue on when they come up in a sale at some point

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is one of my favorite's.. in fact I've been meaning to get more Swamp Thing, it's definitely worth grabbing them all.

• 1 month later...

After the massive letdown that was Dark Knight III, Xerxes is the proper, fully Frank Miller comic I was looking for. Only 2 issues in, but it's great so far.

The following book is Spanish only, but there's relatively little text on it, I could probably translate the whole thing in an hour. It's the best comic I've read in a long while, and it's made better by the fact that I got it in exchange for one of my most hated comics ever, Jodorowsky's The Incal. Each chapter in this book is drawn in a different style, including: 80s shonen, Tokyo Zombie-style intentionally shitty manga, 60s romantic american comics, geometrical abstract comics, Johnny Ryan-esque style, Frank Miller's DKII worship, and a chapter where all the characters are just action figures. and probably a lot of other references I'm missing. It's amazing. I highly recommend it

http://www.autsaidercomics.com/enter_the_kann.html

sample page:

AWRzAc2.jpg

I'll have to check out Xerxes, thanks. I liked the DK III cover by Mikel Janin below, but that was about it. And I remember The Incal was a struggle to get through, maybe I'll go back and skim the artwork.

dark-knight-iii-the-master-race-9-JANIN-

Edited by whosebrian

• 1 month later...

After the massive letdown that was Dark Knight III, Xerxes is the proper, fully Frank Miller comic I was looking for. Only 2 issues in, but it's great so far.

The following book is Spanish only, but there's relatively little text on it, I could probably translate the whole thing in an hour. It's the best comic I've read in a long while, and it's made better by the fact that I got it in exchange for one of my most hated comics ever, Jodorowsky's The Incal. Each chapter in this book is drawn in a different style, including: 80s shonen, Tokyo Zombie-style intentionally shitty manga, 60s romantic american comics, geometrical abstract comics, Johnny Ryan-esque style, Frank Miller's DKII worship, and a chapter where all the characters are just action figures. and probably a lot of other references I'm missing. It's amazing. I highly recommend it

http://www.autsaidercomics.com/enter_the_kann.html

sample page:

AWRzAc2.jpg

Fantagraphics is releasing this soon so do yourselves a favor and buy a dozen copies

• 4 weeks later...

For any Star Trek comic fans, some nice reissues by subscription, all done in squarebound hardcover. Countdown is a fav of mine as it ties the Next Generation to the current JJ Abrams movies.

https://en-us.eaglemoss.com/hero-collector/star-trek/star-trek-graphic-novel-series?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Launch&utm_term=BOGO&utm_media_code=FBP8

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of manga. Is there any modern (post-)cyberpunk manga in the vein of Akira or Ghost in the Shell?

Or maybe some actual horror?

I don't follow manga publications and every time I get something recommended it's like ADHD teenagers with paranormal abilities or some romantic fantasy.

^ the thing that started me on this manga trip was Dorohedoro, which caught my attention because Shackleton contributed to a 'score' for it. it's a story about a man turned into a lizard by sorcerers from another dimension. it's kinda punk/abstract/surreal. maybe try that?

PS. I'm massively drunk rn and spent a good few mins proofreading the above for errors, for your fyi