IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Speaking of manga. Is there any modern (post-)cyberpunk manga in the vein of Akira or Ghost in the Shell?

Or maybe some actual horror?

I don't follow manga publications and every time I get something recommended it's like ADHD teenagers with paranormal abilities or some romantic fantasy.

There is a new Ghost in the Shell anthology that just came out, first new GITS comic in 15 years, I believe.

https://kodanshacomics.com/series/ghost-in-the-shell-global-neural-network/

IMG-1736.jpg

i was recently in seattle and went to the one and only Fantagraphics bookstore and I picked up:

megg, mogg & owl - one more year
518h%2BptU0oL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

jim woodring - poochytown
51hKA4JccFL._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

the daniel clowes reader
51eTZQL8FRL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and some other stuff for cheap like grump toast

• 3 weeks later...

So I just got the first TP of Monstress and it looks awesome. Nice fantasy / horror type mix.

61c4zOzJlIL.jpg

The cast is basically a furry, a talking cat and a girl with cthulhu living inside her that looks like a vagina. The characters are majority female (and a female writing / artist team so I guess they are making a point)

Edited by fletcher

I read up to vol 12 of Attack on Titan wondering why there are were titans the whole time. I asked my GF to check spoilers if it ever resolves and apparently it hasn't yet. So I'm reluctant to continue spending more money as I foresee a disappointing end.

I've been having a really difficult time finding anything that interests me other than waiting for the next East of West and Deadly Class volumes. I've had a lot of false starts with a few series in between.

• 2 months later...

Hey ... didn't know there was a comic book / graphic novel thread.

Cool.

Love me some comic books for grownups. Last one I read and really, really enjoyed was part four of Riad Sattouf's excellent Arab of the Future. Great story, great use of the medium - art and text often at odds with each other - great art. Just, uhm, great.

Been reading Scott Snyder's New 52 run of Swamp Thing, nothing will top Alan Moore's run but Snyder is a decent writer and Yanick Paquette's art is great. It's a worthy successor...

quG5S06.jpg

Yep, I love this recent effort at Swamp Thing (as documented previously in this thread). I also read the Animal Man series. Not as great but ties in nicely and you need it to make full sense of the Rotworld crossover. Bloody crossovers.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Moebius' The World of Edena of which I read only the second (and maybe the third) part when I was around 10yo. Confused the fuck out of me, lol. Also boobs and penises, teehee.

Now it makes much more sense, particularly when starting from the beginning..

love that stuff. big fan of moebius. 

the incal was first one i read, written by Alejandro Jodorowsky, which is all the more "stream of conciousness" writing and can feel like it's not making any sense, + can feel very "And then this happened, and then this happened.. and then this happened.. and then this happaned" instead of being a tight narrative. always fun and interesting to read though and the illustrations are so inspired and top notch. 

the works in The World of Edena is all pretty great stuff. 

reading moebius as a 10year old would be so cool. imagine that's the kinda imagery that would stick with you.

reading moebius as a 10year old would be so cool. imagine that's the kinda imagery that would stick with you.

Yes, I could distinctly recall some frames even though none of the story. But his Silver Surfer story was probably the first work by him that I read.

Moebius is awesome. First spotted his art in a how to draw comics book at age 10. Then got "The Eyes of the Cat", which to this day I can't really make sense of. Gorgeous art, though.

In fact, I feel this way about all his other work as well. The writing is dated, probably didn't make much sense to begin with, but the art is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Today was Free Comic Book Day here in the states, grabbed some freebies and made some discounted purchases at various shops... East of West #42, which I've been keeping up with, a Spawn related off-shoot miniseries...

But the thing I was most happy to get was a hardcover collected volume of From Hell, been meaning to read this one for forever now, but the complete collection never seemed to be in stock. The hardcover looks awesome, looking forward to getting deep into this one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I think that's the version with the appendix that details what is historically accurate in every panel. Reading through that was amazing. He really put a lot of effort into that story.

• Like 1