IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

• 1 month later...

Been reading a few things lately

Finished the first 4 issues of KIll Or Be Killed, the latest title from Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips, kind of a supernatural noire so far. Guy cheats death on a failed suicide attempt and now in exchange for his life has to provide souls. It's pretty good so far but is still developing, Issue 5 will be out in January.

KillorBeKilled_03-1.png

Also picked up The Disciples by Christopher MItten, haven't started it yet but the artwork looked pretty cool and the synopsis seemed like a pretty cool "space horror" kinda Dead Space-ish.

"In a future where our solar system has been colonized by wealthy elites, interstellar bounty hunters Dagmar, Rick, and Jules follow a missing girl's trail to a cult on Ganymede, Jupiter's largest moon. When they arrive, the intrepid bounty hunters discover the cultists have provoked…"

51vsrwIO%2BZL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Also been purchasing the Spawn Origins collections lately after I got a crazy deal on all the original TPB's. Hoping to at least eventually colelct the entire Al Simmons run, I probably won't read much into the Rebirth era.

I've been trying to buy this for my girlfriend's birthday which was yesterday but amazon still doesn't know when it'll ship, guess that'll be next year it feels like.

Deep into East of West - which is a political cyberwestern about the Four Horsemen and the Apocalypse...? Really excellent art and writing. I'm really in love with the whole setting and backdrop created.

Also reading Irredeemable - most powerful and beloved superhero snaps and goes on a genocidal rampage. It's very good even if the writing is lackluster at times.

Edited by Guest

I've been trying to buy this for my girlfriend's birthday which was yesterday but amazon still doesn't know when it'll ship, guess that'll be next year it feels like.

I ended up getting this as a birthday present to myself. I don't normally buy comics or graphic novels but it's lovely. The artwork is gorgeous. I'll be picking up more Moebius as I'm able to get my hands on it.

Guest bitroast

i've spent the $$ to grab some of the out of print 80s-90s pressings of the moebius comics and can confirm this should collection should be lovely. still need to grab this one cos i believe the later stuff is material which hasn't been printed in english before. *ponders* perhaps i could sell my original buyings and have the comic pay for itself *ponders* 

Deep into East of West - which is a political cyberwestern about the Four Horsemen and the Apocalypse...? Really excellent art and writing. I'm really in love with the whole setting and backdrop created.

I've been meaning to get to this title eventually, it definitely sounds intriguing.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Free Comic Book Day 2017 is tomorrow!

Goiing out to hit up a few shops for freebies and look for deals on things I wanna read... Started up East of West recently, finished vol. 3, need to pick up 4 and maybe 5 tomorrow. Also been making my way through the Spawn origins collections. Also been keeping current with Ed Brubaker's Kill or Be Killed.

Wife also said she'd give me an additional budget she'd spend on comics for me as a belated b-day present.. We'll see what I end up grabbing.  

Post-FCBD 17 Update:

Got pretty much all the freebies I wanted, including a taste Jordowski & Moebius' The Inca. I've been curious about reading more of both so looking forward to reading that one. A bunch of pretty good looking and unique freebies this year. In addition to the freebies this was my haul I gathered from visiting 3 different shops.

18238526_10154655328831089_6818337352382

Edited by ghOsty

• 2 months later...

picked up all of the alan moore swamp thing novels

Prepare to turn into or already enforce views about Gaia and the interconnectedness of it all. Moore taps into the soil here and I'm sure became symbiotic with it at the same time. Do love me a bit of Swamp Thing and his patience.

^ Monteys is in my top 3 favorite national artists

Can you recomend anything else good by him? Would love more in the similar vein, but seems this was his first foray into sci-fi

^ Monteys is in my top 3 favorite national artists

Can you recomend anything else good by him? Would love more in the similar vein, but seems this was his first foray into sci-fi

if you cant read spanish there's quite literally no more Monteys for you to read unfortunately... [actually he has a graphic novel coming out on Image this year, written by Matt Fraction]

he hasn't done any long format stuff actually, besides some zines from his early years. His body of work are long weekly series and political/social commentary strips he did for El Jueves, a weekly mag that he (and like a dozen other artists) abandoned when they got a cover censored and recalled with no prior warning for criticizing the King (in current year)

that's all for today's "information no one asked for about authors you'll never read"