Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

love that stuff. big fan of moebius. 

the incal was first one i read, written by Alejandro Jodorowsky, which is all the more "stream of conciousness" writing and can feel like it's not making any sense, + can feel very "And then this happened, and then this happened.. and then this happened.. and then this happaned" instead of being a tight narrative. always fun and interesting to read though and the illustrations are so inspired and top notch. 

the works in The World of Edena is all pretty great stuff. 

reading moebius as a 10year old would be so cool. imagine that's the kinda imagery that would stick with you.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up From Hell because of this thread.

The last new physical issue of Mad Magazine released today.  End of an era.

Today was Free Comic Book Day here in the states, grabbed some freebies and made some discounted purchases at various shops... East of West #42, which I've been keeping up with, a Spawn related off-sh

Posted Images

reading moebius as a 10year old would be so cool. imagine that's the kinda imagery that would stick with you.

Yes, I could distinctly recall some frames even though none of the story. But his Silver Surfer story was probably the first work by him that I read.

Moebius is awesome. First spotted his art in a how to draw comics book at age 10. Then got "The Eyes of the Cat", which to this day I can't really make sense of. Gorgeous art, though.

In fact, I feel this way about all his other work as well. The writing is dated, probably didn't make much sense to begin with, but the art is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Today was Free Comic Book Day here in the states, grabbed some freebies and made some discounted purchases at various shops... East of West #42, which I've been keeping up with, a Spawn related off-shoot miniseries...

But the thing I was most happy to get was a hardcover collected volume of From Hell, been meaning to read this one for forever now, but the complete collection never seemed to be in stock. The hardcover looks awesome, looking forward to getting deep into this one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I think that's the version with the appendix that details what is historically accurate in every panel. Reading through that was amazing. He really put a lot of effort into that story.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Braintree said:

I think that's the version with the appendix that details what is historically accurate in every panel. Reading through that was amazing. He really put a lot of effort into that story.

Yeah, it is. I've been flipping through that as I progress as well, really impressive the amount of research that was done, super interesting stuff.

Edited by ghOsty
  • Like 1

Oh another cool grab I forgot to mention, one of the shops had a handful of old Heavy Metal issues from 1978-1981, grabbed some of the cooler looking covers, the magazines themselves are basically collections of short horror/sci-fi comics and stories, featuring a TON of well known comic artists throughout the decades:

composite+cover.jpg

1d03923dfb78966d046cffd5391655a6.jpg

829ae291609fe6d04ae968feda6a6fb1.jpg

heavy_metal_march_1979_9.4_zoom.jpg
61Umt7YwqdL.jpg

fr+cover.jpg

51sk7ykWv9L._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by ghOsty
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm mostly into crime comics and this new Vertigo series - America Carnage - is pretty great so far. Reminds me a lot of 100 Bullets without some of the fantastical elements.

I saw Brubaker's Criminal has come back with a new volume. Will check that out for sure.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:52 PM, zero said:

I'm mostly into crime comics and this new Vertigo series - America Carnage - is pretty great so far. Reminds me a lot of 100 Bullets without some of the fantastical elements.

I saw Brubaker's Criminal has come back with a new volume. Will check that out for sure.

I've picked up the various issues for the new run, but have yet to read them, plan to get to it when I finish some other stuff.

Also went back and grabbed some more of the old Heavy Metal issues from the shop I found them, including the very first issue. Also been reading the newer ones since Grant Morrison took over as editor in chief, they've actually been pretty decent. Some pretty cool serials going.

Anyone reading Marvel's War of the Realms?  I'm usually down for any Thor or Norse-centric storylines.  Just haven't kept up in a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Because I didn't want to leave the store empty handed I picked up a copy of the Jack Davis volume of the Mad's Original Idiots series (three volumes of 1950s material from Mad magazine, each dedicated to one specific author, none of which I - having been born well after the 1950s - had ever heard of).

It's surprisingly good. The artwork is very expertly done - classic high skilled American brushwork stuff, only it's distorted like crazy to make it funny - and the stories are ... pretty entertaining.

Risqué, too, at least, if you consider this stuff was aimed at children in the 1950s. In one story, for example, a girl has to choose between a wholesome but boring boyfriend and an attractive but evil one. The evil one forces her to *gasp* sell reefers to kids. The wholesome one, of course, comes to rescue her but in the end she chooses to stay with the evil one because she likes the money she can earn by selling reefers to little children.

Made me chuckle, anyway.

Edited by rhmilo
  • 3 weeks later...

Ana Galvañ - Press Enter To Continue

Weird short stories, vaguely sci-fi, vaguely screwed up stuff either inside someone’s head or maybe it’s actually real - hard to determine. Also hard to determine where this falls on the scale that runs from interesting  to pretentious. Difficult to follow, too, but the last story was quite good and I also liked the one about the circus featuring a romance (maybe) between a trapeze artist and something called “the human doll”. Has an unsettled dream-like quality I like.

Intriguing.

D99DFA18-EAB6-4622-AEB2-439921A05982.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

image.thumb.jpeg.120a62002199234b71d626bcb4d34cd3.jpeg

Amusing premise: immigrant mothers all across Europe are giving birth to blonde, blue-eyed children.

The story, unfortunately, sticks rather closely to tried and true Hollywood thriller formulas, with virus outbreaks, brave  journalists and evil mega corps, and the art is a bit bland, but there’s enough odd quirks to keep this interesting.

Blurb here: http://www.europecomics.com/album/the-danes/

Preview here: https://bdi.dlpdomain.com/player/dqdzuIxryB6Cj6n1To1Whmw16ye5FCMj.html

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

Pim Bos - Tremen

No words, just gray paintings telling a story about ... dunno. Some guy moves around on some ... thing, in some ... desert?

Nice and mysterious and probably ultimately just a load of nonsense in that 1970s Moebius (Arzach) vein.

Been reading a lot of Wrightson's Swamp Thing lately, and also managed to snag this book pretty cheapspacer.png

• Like 1