IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

kinda catching up on 2000AD since watching Dredd

highly recommend the ABC Warriors Volgan War series with Clint Langley's awesome artwork if you haven't already

preview_abcwarriorsvoganwarsII_big01.jpg

i hated that style for ages, like how slain is (was a few years ago at least) but then i came around and its not so bad. i miss the old 2000ad art / colouring style (or rather i miss what some of the older 200ad stuff was like, when i stopped getting teh weekly the other year it was mostly computer-y, i dno i dont have the lauguage to express myself here :((((( )

anyone read the simping detective? its a goodie

Edited by RichieBees

• 2 months later...

Just finished the 2nd Walking Dead compendium and book 17, that makes me current as far as the trade releases go, book 18 "What Comes After" is scheduled to be out next month... can't wait.

51NbsGVcMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also recently finished Batman Vol 2: City of Owls and Detective Comics vol. 1: Faces of Death... both pretty good, although the city of owls was slightly lacking full closure (Though, I assume because it's going to be more of an ongoing story in this new relaunch of Batman)

15752115.jpght403644.jpg

Also picked this one up on Free Comic Book Day, as it was recommended to me by the clerk at the comic shop. I'll probably start on this one later tonight. Looking forward to it, heard nothing but good about this series.

richard-starks-parker-the-hunter-cover.j

I just finished Alan Moore's From Hell this past week. Loved it! And I regret not reading it sooner.

I also love the epilogue where he describes the book's accuracies and inaccuracies.

I also love the epilogue where he describes the book's accuracies and inaccuracies.

It's crazy, he checked wheather reports from the 19th century to see if it rained this or that day in order to portray the story accurately.

I left The Walking Dead at the 15th paperback, the story was getting pretty boring and I can't stand Adlard's art. If only Tony Moore would have stayed in the series... sigh

Incal is good, I soaked it all in more on the second read through though. Gorgeous artwork and scope of story.

I just picked up the Swamp Thing collections 1 and 2 from the New 52 storylines after reading some great things about it. Looking forward to starting on those this week.

Swamp-Thing+Green+Red+Rot.png

Edited by feltcher

• 3 weeks later...

I traded in $50 worth of old Spawn trades I won't read anymore and picked up 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book 1... I seriously feel I just robbed the comic shop to as I got it for $50 value. It's currently asking at lowest $150 for a used copy and $295 for a new copy on Amazon all the way up to $900. Barnes and Noble has a seller asking for $450.

51kuXem833L.jpg

Edited by ghOsty

Guest Gary C

Incal is good, I soaked it all in more on the second read through though. Gorgeous artwork and scope of story.

I just picked up the Swamp Thing collections 1 and 2 from the New 52 storylines after reading some great things about it. Looking forward to starting on those this week.

Swamp-Thing+Green+Red+Rot.png

I was not a fan of Snyder's Swamp Thing.

I've heard mixed reviews about Snyder's re-work on Swamp Thing, his work on the Batman reboots so far has been pretty good though. I've still been meaning to read Moore's Swamp Thing almost picked up book 1 today actually along with The Walking Dead book 18 but had to grab 100 Bullets when I saw it, been wanting to get into the series, and knowing that it's been going for high price online lately. I'm bumping up Swamp Thing to be the next title I dive into though.

Edited by ghOsty

the new Swamp Thing has beautiful artwork and layouts but the stories are extremely boring imo, especially compared to Millar's Veitch and Moore's original Saga runs. Animal man is pretty similar, the art is also ridiculously good looking. They really do a good job of evoking mid 80s swamp thing horror in terms of the aesthetics, but it's missing the meat and impact of having a decently written story. The strongest comic going on New 52 right now is Justice League Dark, made me get interested in Constantine again. It's probably just the amusement of having Constantine essentially take on the superman role in the Dark version of the justice league.

Just picked up this... enjoying it so far:

holy-kama.jpg

People know of Kamagurka in the States? I had no idea he was that internationally well known.

I only know of him through his work with Cowboy Henk. I did a search of his name, found this on amazon for a fair price and picked it up. I have a small collection of absurdist comic books/novels. Recently awaiting for my pre-order Joan Cornella's Mox Nox to arrive.

Mox-Nox1.png

• 1 month later...
Guest zaphod

read the first trade of this:

250px-Saga1coverByFionaStaples.jpg

people seriously think this is the best comic currently out? it's not very good at all. terrible 90s self aware whedonesque dialogue, lazy science fantasy world building. pretty lame overall, some of the art is nice.

this on the other hand:

Fatale.jpg

is amazing, the best ongoing series out right now.

read the first trade of this:

250px-Saga1coverByFionaStaples.jpg

people seriously think this is the best comic currently out? it's not very good at all. terrible 90s self aware whedonesque dialogue, lazy science fantasy world building. pretty lame overall, some of the art is nice.

this on the other hand:

Fatale.jpg

is amazing, the best ongoing series out right now.

I completely agree about Saga. I find all of Brian K Vaughn's stylistic tics really grating, especially the dialogue. Prophet & Mind MGMT are much better SF books.

Fatale is really a great book, but my favorite Brubaker & Phillips project is still Criminal.

just watched akira on dvd for the first time after reading the manga, kinda weird, much love though

I'm reading it for the first time after having seen the anime years ago. Looking back, the film feels like it's pretty incomprehensible without the manga.

just watched akira on dvd for the first time after reading the manga, kinda weird, much love though

I'm reading it for the first time after having seen the anime years ago. Looking back, the film feels like it's pretty incomprehensible without the manga.

yeah, the manga is just so much fuller...

Picked this up in a discount book shop for £3.99 and read it in a pub while waiting to meet my lady for lunch, really good.

MyFriendDahmer.jpg

lol, derf backderf?