IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Derf and Derf Backderf are the pseudonyms of American artist John Backderf, most famous for the comic strip The City, which has appeared in a number of alternative newspapers since 1990. In 2006 Derf won the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award for cartooning.[1]

:cisfor:

I only just found that out, I assumed he was using a pseudonym because of the subject but apparently not.

Anyway, I recommend. He actually was friends with Jeffrey Dahmer in High School.

Guest bitroast

Cerebus man. Fucking Cerebus. This guy put 30 years of growing up in comic form. Lovin it

oh man.

i ordered books 13-14-15-16 through a comic shop back in may.

they sent books 14-15-16, and 16 was damaged, 13 didn't arrive.

so they shop sent 16 back and told them to resent 13 and 16.

16 arrived again damaged, no sign of 13.

16 finally arrived in good condition, no sign of 13.

the distributor then listed book 13 as not available and cancelled the invoice.

when i went to pick up book 16, book 13 was appearing on their order page as 'low stock' again.

so fucken much for cerebus being self published in order for dave sim to maintain independence. damn fool doesn't know what he's doing >:|

so anyway, am reading this thread to grab some recommendations while i make a bit of an order on amazon, including cerebus book 13 ^^

this on the other hand:

Fatale.jpg

is amazing, the best ongoing series out right now.

I completely agree about Saga. I find all of Brian K Vaughn's stylistic tics really grating, especially the dialogue. Prophet & Mind MGMT are much better SF books.

Fatale is really a great book, but my favorite Brubaker & Phillips project is still Criminal.

Criminal is fucking amazing, so glad I shelled out for the Omnibus versions... I enjoyed Incognito a lot as well. I haven't yet gotten to Fatale but I've been meaning to.

Picked up The Walking Dead vol. 18 a bunch of Batman issues today:

0026db31medium.jpg

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight '93 & '94 Halloween Specials

BatmanHauntedKnight.jpge4841367-b72e-4acb-8696-2d2ca497c93e.jpg

Legends of the Dark Knight #1-6 and #10

Batman: Full Circle

holy fucking god, i just picked up a slew of Batman, Superman and Justice League 'new 52' and they are among some of the worst and most corny light-weight comic book stories I've read in maybe a decade. I haven't been keeping up with DC much these days, but got re-interested when I moderately enjoyed Justice League Dark. But seriously what the fuck, the justice league comic new 52 is amazingly bad. the way the characters talk to eachother seems completely non tongue in cheek like 60s batman TV style dialog but totally un self aware. It's shocking. and Zaphod, i checked out Brave and the Bold and im in love with it. At first I wasn't feeling it until i realized how much silver age batman it was actually mining from, and was pleasantly surprised to see Batmite and the metal men in the show looking exactly like they do from the old comics

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest bitroast

so anyway, am reading this thread to grab some recommendations while i make a bit of an order on amazon, including cerebus book 13 ^^

Amazon order includes:

Cerebus - Going Home (book 13)

Scud - The Whole Shebang

Paying For It (Chester Brown)

Solanin (Inio Asano)

If 'n Oof - Brian Chippendale

Entirely based on posts in this thread. Looking forward to it, thanks all ^^

(Except for Cerebus, which is from an older watmm thread I believe..)

Edited by pigster

PwuCKJo.jpg?1

The Grant Morrison Animal Man Omnibus just arrived in the mail, can't wait to get started on it.

holy fucking god, i just picked up a slew of Batman, Superman and Justice League 'new 52' and they are among some of the worst and most corny light-weight comic book stories I've read in maybe a decade. I haven't been keeping up with DC much these days, but got re-interested when I moderately enjoyed Justice League Dark. But seriously what the fuck, the justice league comic new 52 is amazingly bad. the way the characters talk to eachother seems completely non tongue in cheek like 60s batman TV style dialog but totally un self aware. It's shocking. and Zaphod, i checked out Brave and the Bold and im in love with it. At first I wasn't feeling it until i realized how much silver age batman it was actually mining from, and was pleasantly surprised to see Batmite and the metal men in the show looking exactly like they do from the old comics

I started reading DC books again just in time for the first New 52 issue of JLA. It's some of the least imaginative comics writing I've ever come across. Wonder Woman and The Flash are the only New 52 titles that seem to have come through in decent shape.

this on the other hand:

Fatale.jpg

is amazing, the best ongoing series out right now.

I completely agree about Saga. I find all of Brian K Vaughn's stylistic tics really grating, especially the dialogue. Prophet & Mind MGMT are much better SF books.

Fatale is really a great book, but my favorite Brubaker & Phillips project is still Criminal.

Criminal is fucking amazing, so glad I shelled out for the Omnibus versions... I enjoyed Incognito a lot as well. I haven't yet gotten to Fatale but I've been meaning to.

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight '93 & '94 Halloween Specials

BatmanHauntedKnight.jpge4841367-b72e-4acb-8696-2d2ca497c93e.jpg

Legends of the Dark Knight #1-6 and #10
Batman: Full Circle

I just picked up the first Incognito trade from library, looks awesome.

The other Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale Batman stories are fantastic, but I haven't read either of these yet.

I haven't looked into much of the other New 52 titles, and I can't speak for the re-boot as a whole but, I did enjoy the Court of Owls arc for Batman. I probably won't follow too much into it beyond that though, I'm still trying to fill in gaps in the 90's era stuff. I have pretty much all the essential Batman trades now and some non-essentials, still need to pick up Hush and The Man Who Laughs though.

Edited by ghOsty

DC Comics is a rudderless ship these days, save for a few of their mature titles. Their reboot is more disastrous than Marvel's. Who wants to see movies of terribly written comics? Duh

Guest zaphod

have to agree with awepittance, the new 52 has been mostly pitiful. like the dc comics and marvel movies, generic and bland. the most basic understanding of the characters and their potential. i sort of enjoyed grant morrison's batman incorporated, but it's not his best work. and that's a continuation of a previous run. his action comics superman was pretty bad. really disappointing. as a fan of the alan moore swamp thing, i thought this current run was garbage. animal man was probably the best of the bunch, at least the first issues that i read. don't know how it's coming along.

the superhero comic world needs a shot in the arm. it should offer an alternative to the origin story obsessed film franchises, not a parallel. i'm pretty bored of comics these days. there's some great stuff, but it's mostly retreading better comics from the past. fatale was my big find this year, although, like others here, i don't think it's brubaker's best work. that's either criminal or his captain america run. this is also the first year where i basically stopped buying single issues. i'm interested to see where the digital side of the medium leads.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

Amazon order includes:

Cerebus - Going Home (book 13)

Scud - The Whole Shebang

Paying For It (Chester Brown)

Solanin (Inio Asano)

If 'n Oof - Brian Chippendale

Entirely based on posts in this thread. Looking forward to it, thanks all ^^

(Except for Cerebus, which is from an older watmm thread I believe..)

Cerebus Going Home (and Form & Void) were both actually lovely and really quite enjoyable.

I think I was expecting something a bit less and a bit more boring after reading comments and such that the Cerebus series starts to lose the plot toward the end. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit (and it wasn't nearly the waste of time that Reads was).

Paying For It, by Chester Brown, is also, absolutely amazing, and recommended to anyone and everyone who is interested or not interested in it. (pretty short, readable in one day comic, about a cartoonist giving up normal relationships with women in favour of keeping his relationships with friends and family, but seeing prostitutes every few weeks).

59c94_Chester+Brown+Paying-For-It-a2%5B1

and also, lastly.

reading Scud: The Whole Shebang at the moment. based entirely on a recommendation or two in this thread, plus all the other good reviews it gets.

and... i don't get it at all. i'm actually hating reading it. it seems like something i or a friend would have written during high school?? non-stop battle scenes and 'things' after 'thing' happening. and then this happened, and then this happened. with humour and antics thrown in.

i enjoy the drawings and style of cartoon humour, but not enough to feel that it makes up for the writing or story. it feels like a sort of nobody wrote it (ie. something i would have done during high school??).

oh well, buy things on a whim. can't win them all :)

yeah i fucking despised scud when i tried to read it years ago. some friends were raving about it. i don't get it at all. it's the most juvenile "acclaimed" comic. closest thing to the confusion i felt over that was we3, but i at least could sort of see where that comic might have been good.

Guest bitroast

oh man. how is it? has anyone read both?

i actually have no issues with the black and white version. the artwork is amazing, and it's mindblowing to think that every line came from one persons pen.

again, i haven't even seen the colour version so i could be talking out of my ass here, but i love the sense of direction and movement created just with black lines. it adds to the general high speed pace of the book, and overall insanity and joy out of it all.

or maybe it's just good writing and the colour version holds up just the same (and improves upon on it, with amazing colouring??)??

how is it ???? now i'm curious to how it holds up ????

just found the Epic issue of Akira online :happy: the full color is pretty lush tho I wish they'd re-release this instead of another reissue of the b&w version

Guest bitroast

can anyone explain to me what the dealie is with this colour strip, fold out thing?

it's from a recentish graphic novel book thing of watchmen, collecting all the issues.

i just found it odd that in something like this that forces a permanent fold in the page and almost damages the book?

is this normal or is it a mispressing glitch?

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...