IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest bitroast

Awesome-o!!

I'm wondering if its worth buying them one by one, or just wait for a collected book to come out and binge it :)

What pisses me off most with the DC / Marvel worlds is the sheer amount of tie-ins, cross-overs and guest appearances between titles.

I have been reading Swamp Thing and Animal Man, but both feature heavily with Justice League Dark crossovers, Constantine, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and probably more I have forgotten. OK I get that it obviously makes them more money when you need to go out and buy the other cross-over titles to read the rest of the story, but these new titles have only been going 3 years, surely there are enough stories based on the core characters to avoid this?

Yeah I dropped off the new Swamp Thing because of the crossovers & for feeling too "comic booky". I prefer how they handled him back in the 80s - weird isolationist who lives in a swamp & goes off on solo adventures in hell/space/time/psychedelic plant realms. The only interactions with the broader DC universe took place in the main book & existed only to show what a boss Swamp Thing was

I dropped off new Animal Man too, but as I recall it seemed to strike a better balance between "old mystical insanity" and "regular superhero for cash"

What pisses me off most with the DC / Marvel worlds is the sheer amount of tie-ins, cross-overs and guest appearances between titles.

I have been reading Swamp Thing and Animal Man, but both feature heavily with Justice League Dark crossovers, Constantine, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and probably more I have forgotten. OK I get that it obviously makes them more money when you need to go out and buy the other cross-over titles to read the rest of the story, but these new titles have only been going 3 years, surely there are enough stories based on the core characters to avoid this?

combining the Vertigo and DC worlds was the fuck all stupidest thing DC ever did. yeah, because Batman could totally kick Sandman's ass! uh what?

even after that awful Watchmen prequel series, at least they still have their own universe, for now.

I went to ComicCon on the weekend and picked up the first 2 volumes of Superior Spiderman and Thor: God Butcher & Thor: Godbomb. The artwork in the Thor comics are awesome. I wanted a solid Thor arc I could follow and these were suggested.

I've still got my AvX comics to read from the last comiccon + I have a few comics involving Thanos and that side of Cosmic Marvel which looks interesting. Hard to fit all of this in!

Wow, the Sandman variants were $80 at my store, I see them going already on eBay for $250-350 for a complete cover set.

There is also a UK exclusive Jim Lee variant.

Edited by Rubin Farr

Wow, the Sandman variants were $80 at my store, I see them going already on eBay for $250-350 for a complete cover set.

There is also a UK exclusive Jim Lee variant.

That's insane. I'm thinking I might wait for the hard cover collection. I've only read up to book 7 of the original series, so I'm in no rush. The preview pages are beautiful though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about half way through Brandon Graham's King City after one sitting. Absolutely loving it so far. Getting strong Otomo & Moebius/Jodorowsky vibes throughout. This might be even better than Prophet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guest bitroast

i was totally just wanting to say that i finished Cerebus book 16 on saturday (ie. have now finished the Cerebus series).

it definitely has ups and downs (Minds and Latter Days in particular, more or less cross the borderline unreadable border and enter unreadable territory) but overall i think this is the work of a (troubled) genius. some of the books are definitely recommended to anyone with an interest or open mind to genre bending awesome beautiful batshit crazy comics (about a talking aardvark).

i now feel like a free man. even though i was reading other things as well, i was always coming back to cerebus and had the book in the series on the back burner as being the next comic i was going to read.

since saturday, have been slamming through chester brown's stuff.

louis reil is amazing.

the little man is interesting and definitely gets good toward the more later work (and its at least interesting to see his style develop).

and just now finished ed the unhappy clown. which i sort of really disliked and felt was juvenile, but maybe its a context thing? like, from when it came from. and also in regarding it as chester browns first work. the notes at the end definitely help build an appreciation for the work, even though i didn't find the comic to be that strong.

Edited by bitroast

Have someone heard about Gus by Christophe Blain ? It's a humorous western, telling the adventures of a three friends gangster crew robbing banks and trains, but more consequently being obsessed with women and always involved in some half-baked plans for meeting girls. The drawing is as simple as it's lively and efficient and the stories are very funny. I read the three released books (should be continued) a few days ago for a second time and enjoyed it as much as through the first reading. I don't know how it's been distributed in other countries than France though.

adventskalender-18.jpg
gus_12.jpg

anybody read Crossed? specifically the Garth Ennis instalments, not the subsequent ones which were written by other folks.

is it worth it? Ennis is kind of mental.

Edited by usagi

Guest bitroast

Nope! Only read preacher, which was brilliant fun:)

I've been meaning to read The Boys but was waiting for the series to end before digging in. And then I forgot about it and turns out it finished a year ago :p best start thinking about getting it again.