IGNORED

Drexciya

essines

2 hours ago, psn said:

The four anthology releases were just reprinted. Bleep seems to have them in stock (apart from the first one):

https://bleep.com/release/37007-drexciya-journey-of-the-deep-sea-dweller-ii

Sadly I don't do vinyl, great news anyway

I'll listen to the projects in chronological order 

i dont have a favorite of the compilations, because imo they did that thing where they spread out the best tracks across all editions.

id almost recommend just streaming them to get a feel for the group then dive into any album or ep.  this article does a great job expaining how what they call 'revisionist' compilations are helpful to expand the audience, but problematic in narrowing the presentation of the full narrative and impact of the group (things like album art, lore, labels, motivations behind each release)

https://thequietus.com/articles/14052-drexciya-journey-of-the-deep-sea-dweller-iv-review

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of this graphic style either, plus it's quite expensive; naturally preordered it anyway coz Drexciya. ?‍♂️

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dream of remastered/reissued versions of their material. I mean if Elecktroids can get a new edition, maybe so can The Quest? I'd really love a box set of all Stinson & Gerald goodness though I might be the only person on the planet who would want that on CD rather than vinyl

• Like 1

I dream of remastered/reissued versions of their material. I mean if Elecktroids can get a new edition, maybe so can The Quest? I'd really love a box set of all Stinson & Gerald goodness though I might be the only person on the planet who would want that on CD rather than vinyl

journey of the deep sea dweller I-IV
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, auxien said:

Yeah I saw this article today. Weird how this mythology is starting to go mainstream after we’ve been following it for so long. 

• Like 3

On 2/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, Extralife said:

Yeah I saw this article today. Weird how this mythology is starting to go mainstream after we’ve been following it for so long. 

Better late than never. Some people get all huffy about the underground art, music, film, etc. they love becoming better known but I'm thankful for it. And yeah, that Ars Technica article is very good. Really touches on some important stuff with regards to depoliticizing and whitewashing a musical project whose blackness and decolonial message are so pivotal to it

6 minutes ago, splesh said:

Better late than never. Some people get all huffy about the underground art, music, film, etc. they love becoming better known but I'm thankful for it. And yeah, that Ars Technica article is very good. Really touches on some important stuff with regards to depoliticizing and whitewashing a musical project whose blackness and decolonial message are so pivotal to it

Yeah my only real qualm with the article is that it really doesn’t speak too much about the music, which is timeless and exceptional. 

Edited by Extralife
  • Like 1

I think I have only one Drexciya proper, Molecular Enhancement on RePHLeX. I caned Aquatic Bata [sic] Particles like mad when it came out, but I never got more into them until 10-15 years later - although I've always liked Donald and Stinson's solo alias work, especially Arpanet and Transllusion, and other collaborations like Der Zyklus, Dopplereffekt, Elecktroids, NSRB-11 (completely indispensable) and so on. I really should get Journeys Of The Deep Sea Dwellers I-IV. As an aside, I have no recollection of how, but I found Ultradyne by way of Drexciya, and Ultradyne's been more my thing during the years than Drexciya.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dcom said:

I think I have only one Drexciya proper, Molecular Enhancement on RePHLeX. I caned Aquatic Bata [sic] Particles like mad when it came out, but I never got more into them until 10-15 years later - although I've always liked Donald and Stinson's solo alias work, especially Arpanet and Transllusion, and other collaborations like Der Zyklus, Dopplereffekt, Elecktroids, NSRB-11 (completely indispensable) and so on. I really should get Journeys Of The Deep Sea Dwellers I-IV. As an aside, I have no recollection of how, but I found Ultradyne by way of Drexciya, and Ultradyne's been more my thing during the years than Drexciya.

I forgot how good that NSRB-11 album is. Need to dig it out.

1 hour ago, prdctvsm said:

Oh I've never heard his voice before - he's definitely the one talking in 'Astronomical Guidepost'. Very distinct speech pattern