IGNORED

Food & Drink Recommendations

Redruth

Here's a recipe for some pretty fucking epic mac and cheese me and my gf came up with. Probably not the best for you but god damnit it's delicious!

1 Velveeta Family Size Shells Mac & Cheese kit

1 Red Bell Pepper

1 Package of Bacon (splash some beer in the pan for extra awesome, I used Shiner Bock)

1 Bag of Asiago Shredded Cheese

Gratuitous amounts of Tobasco sauce

...Add more milk as needed

Serve in a bowl and crush a handful of Flaming Hot Cheetos on top!

Enjoy that spicy cheesy awesomeness!...Serves (3-5)

wtf your "recipe" for epic mac and cheese involves Velveeta Family Size Shells Mac & Cheese kit?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Red Robin as far as burgers go, because you can substitute a Boca or Garden burger in any of their gourmet burgers. It's so good.

Also, buying a shitty frozen cheese pizza, and doctoring it up is always delicious.

Also, fruit + milk + sugar all in a cereal bowl = delicious breakfast.

Also, don't dis ghOsty's recipe. That shit can't be bad. Although instead of buying the kit, you could just buy a bag of noodles, and a brick of velveeta.

Also, don't dis ghOsty's recipe. That shit can't be bad.

i'm forwarding all these posts to that portugese guy in the occupy oakland thread. he's pissed off.

4LxWu.jpg

mint masala french fries:

2 medium russet potatoes

2 tablespoons corn starch

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon mint powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

the key to a good dish is not number of ingredients, it's the quality of them.

try a pasta salad with fresh fusilli (it's ok to shop-buy it as long as it's fresh!), extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh cracked black pepper and good kosher sea salt, and roughly torn basil (just buy a basil plant in a pot - same price as the herb more or less in good supermarkets). maybe some roasted pine nuts - or sunflower or pumpkin seeds if you can't get pine - in there too.

don't use milk in omelette or scrambled eggs - this is a crappy tradition inherited from when eggs were in short supply - try an omelette using eggs and creme fraiche as a base, with just a mix of two cheeses (say, parmesan and cheddar) along with prosciutto, some diced field mushrooms, and red onion. add the cheddar over the omelette base, then sautee the prosciutto and mushrooms for just a minute in another pan. then sprinkle fresh grated parmesan over the lot and fold the egg over the top.

don't boil the shit out of anything. for professional-looking gravy, strain it.

don't think number of ingredients, think quality of ingredients and how you treat them.

i want to make a lot of really hot-make-encey-jealous fuck with you.

Then do some serious cooking and eating.

Here's a recipe for some pretty fucking epic mac and cheese me and my gf came up with. Probably not the best for you but god damnit it's delicious!

1 Red Bell Pepper

1 Package of Bacon (splash some beer in the pan for extra awesome, I used Shiner Bock)

wtf your "recipe" for epic mac and cheese involves Velveeta Family Size Shells Mac & Cheese kit?

im fucking broke in college, it's cheaper to just buy that shit and spice it up

red bell pepper in cheese (or any creamy) sauce doesn't do it for me. cheetos.. crazy.

is that Asiago Shredded Cheese very cheap? you're adding shredded cheese (usually works out more expensive because it's convenience food (and grating makes it look like more, dunno if you're paying attention to weight)), bacon, cheetos, beer, bell pepper,.. surely making a normal mac'n'cheese from scratch would work out cheaper (with decent cheese and pasta).. but i got into this debate with SR4, and he said food prices are pretty random in the US/the part he resides in.

1 Red Bell Pepper

im fucking broke in college, it's cheaper to just buy that shit and spice it up

i'm sure it's tasty but wouldn't a big bag of pasta and a block of cheese be cheaper? then all you need's milk and butter for an easy cheesy sauce... and it would last you all week. i think we've maybe had this conversation here already?

edit - ditto tauboo

Here's my recipe for this Saturday:

Asian Pork Meatballs

2 tbsp Clear Honey

3 tbsp Fish Sauce

450g Minced Pork

A few Spring Onions, finely chopped

1 Garlic Clove, crushed

2 tsp Lemongrass, finely chopped

1 tsp Cornflour

1 tbsp Mint, finely chopped

2 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped

Olive Oil for frying

1. Warm that honey in a non-stick pan and then, trust me here, add the disgusting-smelling fish sauce. Nasty, I know, but stir that shit into a syrup. Leave it to chill the fuck out.

2. Chop up all the other stuff you’ve got and mix it all with the pork. Use your hands! So that’s honey syrup, spring onions, garlic, lemongrass, cornflour, mint and coriander you’ve got in there, right? Put some salt and pepper on it too.

3. Make that funky play-dough into about 20 balls and put them on a baking tray. Chill for 30 mins. You and the balls.

4. Brush your balls with olive oil and fry for 3-4 mins each side. Do it.

Oriental Dipping Sauce

1 tsp Coriander, finely chopped

A few Spring Onions, finely sliced

2 tbsp Lime Juice

2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce

1 tsp Sesame Oil

1. Mix that shit together real nice.

2. You’re done here.

Sailor Jerry’s Sweet and Spiced Rum Shrimp

1kg King Prawns (about 20 prawns)

8 tsp Lime Juice

A coke-can (300ml) of Pineapple Juice

A big shot (175ml) of Sailor Jerry’s Rum

½ tsp Hot Sauce

2 tsp Cilantro, finely chopped

2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped

Salt & Pepper

1. Mix everything together in a big fucking bowl.

2. Put a lid on it and leave it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Drink some rum.

3. Come back later and take the prawns out. Throw the rest away.

4. Put some oil in a hot griddle pan and cook the shrimp. 2 mins each side should do. Or until they look fucking great, whatever.

Vegetable Tempura

An Aubergine

Some Broccoli

Some Mushrooms

A Red Pepper

A few Sweet Potatoes

Tempura Batter (85g Plain Flour, 1 tbsp Cornflour, ½ tsp Sea Salt, 200ml Sparking Mineral Water)

Groundnut Oil for deep-frying

Mix this batter together just before you’re ready to cook. Drop the flour, cornflour and sea salt into a big bowl. Mix in the ice-cold Sparkling Mineral Water (the sparkling bit is important, don’t be cheap) with a whisk and then a few ice cubes too. It don’t matter about lumps. Just keep the batter ice-cold and the oil pretty-fucking-hot.

1. Get a baking tray ready now, you’ll need it later, and then heat up a wok that’s over halfway full of oil. Too much and you’re going to set yourself on fire. Cut the veg into big chunks.

2. When the oil in the wok reaches 190c (it’ll be steaming and bubbling) dip a few bits of sliced-up veg into the batter. Don’t use your hands on the next bit; get a metal spatula. Lower the coated veg into the oil and fry for about 2 mins, until crispy.

3. Do that again with the all the other vegetables, dip them in batter and then fry them. Make sure the oil heats back up between batches. Put the cooked ones in the oven to stay warm.

ICzzg.jpg

eggplant cannelloni:

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 large shallots, sliced

4 cloves garlic

2 jars (12 oz each) roasted red peppers, drained

1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (juice of 1 orange) Eggplant

2 medium eggplants, cut lengthwise into

1/2-inch slices olive oil cooking spray Filling

4 oz 'cheese' (vegan)

4 kalamata olives, pitted and minced

1 teaspoon capers, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

"Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding2 only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement."

Vegetable Tempura

An Aubergine

Some Broccoli

Some Mushrooms

A Red Pepper

A few Sweet Potatoes

Tempura Batter (85g Plain Flour, 1 tbsp Cornflour, ½ tsp Sea Salt, 200ml Sparking Mineral Water)

Mix this batter together just before you’re ready to cook. Drop the flour, cornflour and sea salt into a big bowl. Mix in the ice-cold Sparkling Mineral Water (the sparkling bit is important, don’t be cheap) with a whisk and then a few ice cubes too. It don’t matter about lumps. Just keep the batter ice-cold and the oil pretty-fucking-hot.

1. Get a baking tray ready now, you’ll need it later, and then heat up a wok that’s over halfway full of oil. Too much and you’re going to set yourself on fire. Cut the veg into big chunks.

2. When the oil in the wok reaches 190c (it’ll be steaming and bubbling) dip a few bits of sliced-up veg into the batter. Don’t use your hands on the next bit; get a metal spatula. Lower the coated veg into the oil and fry for about 2 mins, until crispy.

3. Do that again with the all the other vegetables, dip them in batter and then fry them. Make sure the oil heats back up between batches. Put the cooked ones in the oven to stay warm.

This is a good recipe - I should know, I gave it to Gary. But what he doesn't tell you is that you can use any vegetables you like. Frankly, there's no way I'd use mushrooms because they're fucking gross.

Also, when you're done frying the tempura, lay them on some sheets of kitchen towel to soak up excess oil.

Also, the recipe's nicked from the Guardian. This is a spicy, zesty dipping sauce to go along with it:

6 cardamom pods

Grated zest and juice of 4 limes

1 green chilli

50g coriander, leaves and stalks

1 tbsp caster sugar

4 tbsp sunflower oil

½ tsp salt

2 tbsp water

Break up the cardamom in a pestle and mortar, and transfer the seeds to the bowl of a food processor. Discard the skins. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, and process until smooth and runny.

Vegetable Tempura

An Aubergine

Some Broccoli

Some Mushrooms

A Red Pepper

A few Sweet Potatoes

This is a good recipe - I should know, I gave it to Gary. But what he doesn't tell you is that you can use any vegetables you like. Frankly, there's no way I'd use mushrooms because they're fucking gross.

Also, when you're done frying the tempura, lay them on some sheets of kitchen towel to soak up excess oil.

Also, the recipe's nicked from the Guardian.

lol

Well, it's not so much nicked from the Guardian as it is nicked from Yotam Ottolenghi. He's a pretty well-respected food writer and restauranteur. It's a good recipe, you should try it. The sauce makes it, though - can't imagine why Gary's leaving it out.

Well, it's not so much nicked from the Guardian as it is nicked from Yotam Ottolenghi. He's a pretty well-respected food writer and restauranteur. It's a good recipe, you should try it. The sauce makes it, though - can't imagine why Gary's leaving it out.

Because I'm too busy trying to make everything else in a relatively small kitchen. I guess I could make the sauces earlier in the day though, and the prawns will be marinating whilst I make the meatballs.

Archived