IGNORED

Occupy Thread

J3FF3R00

Do you support the right the protest peacefully? Which is in the constitution.

Do you agree that acidphakist and yourself are on the same side of the debate? I bet you don't want to be on that side.

Put the bong down and tell us all which side of the debate I'm on.

there are no jobs and burger king cant pay your fucking bills. why is that so hard for people to understand? wake the fuck up.

I'm posting this from my job.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet man, i have one too. look at the unemployment numbers you dick, especially for those ages 18-25

just want to throw out there that low unemployment numbers for youngins seems indicative of a failing education system, which i believe is a big, underemphasized reason we are in this mess anyway

maybe not in traditional sectors but there is always growth somewhere. our education system is telling people all this garbage about being employable when you get your sociology degree. also the way that kids' hands are held to pass them to the next grade, blame is placed on the teachers, and the one flavor approach to education seems like it's overflowing into the real world.

so yeah, that might be factor i guess.

maybe not in traditional sectors but there is always growth somewhere. our education system is telling people all this garbage about being employable when you get your sociology degree. also the way that kids' hands are held to pass them to the next grade, blame is placed on the teachers, and the one flavor approach to education seems like it's overflowing into the real world.

so yeah, that might be factor i guess.

its because people earn a degree in sociology that they should not have earned. not because the degree is worthless.

its a sad truth, but academia by default is supposed to be elitist. Its not supposed to be easy to get a B.A....once you have mandates that everyone has a right to college, it then logically follows that everyone believes they are entitled to a degree from that college. Said college then passes otherwise failing students, and tada! you get a bunch of tenured professors that contribute nothing to society.

the student loan situation is out of control as well.

also, just out of curiosity, what would be an example of growth in a non traditional sector?

our education system is telling people all this garbage about being employable when you get your sociology degree.

Hey! You can flip burgers with a Sociology degree just as well as with a CompSci degree.

atop, you realise that people protest all the time in france over political issues. Even high schoolers mob Paris every so often. That's how the country has managed to stay reasonably equitable socially.

Yes, that is why I wrote about protests in France. I figured Babar has first hand experience in dealing with them in some sense.

Do you agree that acidphakist and yourself are on the same side of the debate? I bet you don't want to be on that side.

Put the bong down and tell us all which side of the debate I'm on.

there are no jobs and burger king cant pay your fucking bills. why is that so hard for people to understand? wake the fuck up.

So you have a job and that means everyone else does as well?

Oh! I forgot to mention that your employment status doesn't matter to me.

Fuck you and your horrible attitude.

You may have money but you are neither happy or angry or sad or empathetic.

So don't mess with me you self-centered ass. Which ever side of the argument you are on is not important. You are trolling and that is all you are doing. Good luck with your career on Watmm, it is about to be cut short. Not by my doing. You are doing a fine job yourself.

Back to the subject at hand.

Police are beating your brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters because some of us do not want to live under a government that is controlled by corporations. This is the message. If you were unclear about it before this is the message. No more corporate influenced anything within the US government.

The message might soon change to no more police state fascist control tactics with the USA. Which I would be fine with. The more beatings and injustice the storm troopers deal out, the more this will become the one thing for all US citizens to unite under.

our education system is telling people all this garbage about being employable when you get your sociology degree.

Hey! You can flip burgers with a Sociology degree just as well as with a CompSci degree.

?

That's the thing - the economy and society has changed where while there is a demand for unskilled labor, to truly survive these days you need to have a relevant education - these liberal arts degrees are practically worthless unless you're fortunate enough to get a niche job in a niche sector.

just want to throw out there that low unemployment numbers for youngins seems indicative of a failing education system, which i believe is a big, underemphasized reason we are in this mess anyway

Yes, exactly - too many "left behind" students simply shunted through the education system, and then they get outraged when their minimum wage job won't make ends meet - more needs to be done to ensure they don't end up at that destination to begin with, and that starts with early training and education in relevant job skills and fields, long before they reach high school or even attempt further education at the university level.

Trade school seems to be the way to go these days. lots of new jobs installing fiber optic cable, welding, stenography, etc

Trade/vocational schools are a double-edged sword - being from one myself, I can say that most, if not all of them are profit-driven and depending on the field, know very well there is little or waning demand for the skillset and education they are offering at increasingly higher tuition rates. My current profession has little to do with what I went to school for, and it was through my own determination and hard work (and admittedly, some lucky breaks and landing at a good company) that I feel like I am succeeding in life on a professional level.

My previous demotivational post was more fun trolling than anything else, but there is a bit of truth to it - these protesters (the majority of them, but not all of them) need to realize that until the US can accept and support a socialized society, one where education is stressed as much as social services where enough people can support the (hopefully) few that truly need assistance, that it will continue to be a have/have not survivalist society where only the driven and the determined succeed and thrive.

Joyrex, it's not only the driven and determined that succeed and thrive. Some successful people are driven and determined and "deserve" to be successful in their careers, but many driven and determined people are never successful, and likewise, many half-assed workers and people who have riches handed down to them are quite "successful" in their careers, if we're talking strictly about money.

So no, there is not a bit of truth to your argument. It rests on the antiquated American dream that hard work and perseverance will always pay off in this country.

exactly. underlying joyrexs argument is the fallacy of "the american dream" and all the archaic ideals that it represents. the system (for the most part) is rigged. its cool that he put in the work and seems to be thriving, but for every one of him, there are thousands that bought into the same ideals/institutions, worked hard and got fucked. hard.

it is more complicated than that luke. are you arguing that we abandon hard working ways and no longer strive to persevere? the age of making good money tightening a bolt for GM 40,000 times a day is gone. us industrial companies continued using silly business models over the last 40 years, and those industries have been fucking the US economy since then. paying unskilled laborers way more than they're worth and tying the companies' hands with the unions was not beneficial, and it is the flip side of the corporate greed argument.

sure, there are rich people that don't deserve their riches and vice versa, but if you want to be successful for yourself you have to be smart and realistic about your career choices. while i'm not criticizing any of you directly, i have plenty of peers who expect to fall into a job after college, regardless of degree/willingness to relocate/skill.

that said, the wealth gap and corporate profits are out of control. CEO to worker pay ratio is shit in US, something like 300:1. also (this will never happen) - inherited wealth should be limited to $5million. no reason you should be able to give your kids more than that.

it is more complicated than that luke. are you arguing that we abandon hard working ways and no longer strive to persevere?

no that wasnt what he was saying, youre simplifying. in this economic climate, hard work is not always enough. that is why many people are angry.

Archived