IGNORED

Occupy Thread

J3FF3R00

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can paint all soldiers with that brush. I met quite a few while I was in Korea, some of them were very cool. One of them was crazy (he'd shot heroin with the Butthole Surfers and was in charge of a mobile SAM battery). Two of them went AWOL when they learned they would be going to Iraq/Afghanistan.

But I guess you would be much more likely to find asshats like that guy.

While not all soldiers are like that, as you pointed out Chen, there is a growing divide between the US military and civilians political leanings.

From 1976 to 1996, the share of senior military officers identifying as Republican jumped from one-third to two-thirds, while the share claiming to be independent fell from 46% to 22%. Senior military officers who described themselves as liberal fell from 16% in 1976 to 3% in 1996. Urben’s survey found that younger officers leaving the Army were far more likely to identify themselves as Democrats than those opting to stay. All this takes the nation onto perilous ground, not because the military tilts Republican or Democrat but because it needs to be seen as straight-shooting and nonpartisan. That perception has been fading.

http://www.returningveteransofamerica.org/2011/11/12/time-magazine-1-full-article//

not when you take into account that our education system does not help for career planning at all until college (you should have figured shit out by then anyways) . maybe they scratch the surface but they're more worried about standardized tests and you passing those tests, thus passing through the world to become the burden of some other institution. "bad planning" is as much the fault of the schools, parents and of course the individual.

I can't agree with that - when you're 18 going in to college you're supposed have everything figured out for the rest of your 40 working years?

whoosh? :cisfor:

that was sarcastic. all i'm saying is that high school could do a much better job of assisting in realistic career planning.

not when you take into account that our education system does not help for career planning at all until college (you should have figured shit out by then anyways) . maybe they scratch the surface but they're more worried about standardized tests and you passing those tests, thus passing through the world to become the burden of some other institution. "bad planning" is as much the fault of the schools, parents and of course the individual.

I can't agree with that - when you're 18 going in to college you're supposed have everything figured out for the rest of your 40 working years?

that was sarcastic. all i'm saying is that high school could do a much better job of assisting in realistic career planning.

What? Better than "Go to college, get a degree, and you'll be fine"?!?!?

:trollface:

wtf? you guys must have went to horrible schools...in my undergrad career counseling was readily available, but it was up to you to go to it...which i unfortunately neglected.

im pretty sure they have career services at every major university.

While not all soldiers are like that, as you pointed out Chen, there is a growing divide between the US military and civilians political leanings.

From 1976 to 1996, the share of senior military officers identifying as Republican jumped from one-third to two-thirds, while the share claiming to be independent fell from 46% to 22%. Senior military officers who described themselves as liberal fell from 16% in 1976 to 3% in 1996. Urben’s survey found that younger officers leaving the Army were far more likely to identify themselves as Democrats than those opting to stay. All this takes the nation onto perilous ground, not because the military tilts Republican or Democrat but because it needs to be seen as straight-shooting and nonpartisan. That perception has been fading.

http://www.returning...1-full-article//

That is worrying for sure.

Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic. But yeah sure I guess they could do a better job. How to know what's realistic though when a student's expectations will undoubtedly change within a year of being out of high school. I mean I guess you could say that a counselor should say: "yeah there are certain degrees where it will be more difficult to find meaningful employment upon graduation, but it's hard to say exactly what those will be."

I mean a few years ago, people would have definitely said - go get a CompSci degree. You look at the market for programmers and stuff now and you're thinking "yeah that's a great idea, I should have done that." But with the amount of cheap labour you have to compete with on the global market? I guess it's a little better than flipping burgers. (and it's the only job market where eventually they'll work themselves out of a job - when AI becomes advanced enough to create programs based on demands).

And like everyone knows - it's not about what you know, but who you know. I don't think we're that far apart in terms of where we stand on this - obviously schools need to provide assistance, but there comes a point when they can only babysit you so much, you know?

wtf? you guys must have went to horrible schools...in my undergrad career counseling was readily available, but it was up to you to go to it...which i unfortunately neglected.

im pretty sure they have career services at every major university.

Yeah UBC actively sends me stuff reminding me of workshops on what to do with your degree, networking opportunities, meet and greets, all kinds of social opportunities. I've been pretty bad about it, but I finally have a schedule next term that will allow me to do some of those things.

edit: that macing was grotesque.

the very definition of a douchbag

i would love to debate this guy

he really is, i take comfort in the fact that he went in the US military to become a cop, but because a girl he hit at a party filed a restraining order against him, he's been having an awful lot of trouble getting a job as one.

also he's now pretty fat, which makes me happy too.

IT's funny how FOX news has warped the ignorant conservative mind so much now that complaining about police brutality equates to "liberal BS", we've come a long way i guess!

but they were blocking a walkway!~!!!!!

fuuuck, that video was horrifying. the cops have a helpful phrase when they hear things like 'civil disobedience' it's a term that sounds technical and somewhat 'ok' called 'pain compliance', what it really is is physical torture. You cause so much intolerable physical pain in the person who is protesting that they are unable to protest. It's the same new police state tactic of tasering somebody for asking John Kerry too long of a question or pepper spraying someone at a traffic stop for refusing to sign a parking ticket.

I'm sure most of you follow reddit, but for those who don't:

0UoEz.jpg

ARSEFUCKERS !! Too fucking lazy and anti- to pick them up and hall them away. And the guy on the left gesturing with his hand a, "stand back everybody, don't help them".

Maybe these kids will develop super immunity to chilli after this.

but they were blocking a walkway!~!!!!!

fuuuck, that video was horrifying. the cops have a helpful phrase when they hear things like 'civil disobedience' it's a term that sounds technical and somewhat 'ok' called 'pain compliance', what it really is is physical torture. You cause so much intolerable physical pain in the person who is protesting that they are unable to protest. It's the same new police state tactic of tasering somebody for asking John Kerry too long of a question or pepper spraying someone at a traffic stop for refusing to sign a parking ticket.

A professor from UC Davis is calling for the immediate resignation of the schools chancellor for bringing in riot police to a non-violent protest

https://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

i didnt see any tear gas or rubber bullets when the students at penn state went crazy and flipped over a news van due to the firing of their precious football coach.

Archived