IGNORED

Occupy Thread

J3FF3R00

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while I think videos like that are more ridiculous than helpful (narrator, here's a tip: saying motherfucker every two seconds takes away from the eloquence of your statements).

he was on point in regards to the fact that with these protests, whites are now clued into what blacks and other minorities have complained of for DECADES.

I don't agree. These kids aren't facing systemic discrimination like ethnic minorities are. If they were, poverty levels would change, the number of whites in jail for shitty drug busts would skyrocket, and you wouldn't be able to get a goddamn taxi. Relative poverty is a bitch, no doubt, but whites are not being discriminated against like ethnic minorities.

Also this video does far more harm than good. It polarizes the debate, when the OWS movement needs to be inclusive. And I still think it's ridiculous to compare this to a real police state - Meanwhile in Syria... Meanwhile in Egypt

And that's a good thing. Look at those numbers - 70 dead in Syria over a period of a few days (and they're rapidly heading toward civil war), 33 dead in Egypt in one night. No one wants to see that shit in America do they? Did Kent State change anything?

nonono, you got me wrong, we are on the same page...im not saying that whites now directly experience systemic racism. what I am saying is that they are experiencing a semblance of police brutality that they by and large have not encountered since the 70s.

Also, while I agree that the US shouldn't be outright compared to Syria and the others, I feel like focusing on that is diverting the real argument. A lot of these American police officers ARE acting out of line and im sure there are violations of protocol if someone was to dig deep enough. Just because Americans haven't been murdered by the cops yet is not a reason to semantically "downplay" the abuse and more importantly the potential for worse future abuse by the authorities. In cases like these, Im all for calling a spade as a spade regardless of motivation or comparative amounts of violence/harm inflicted to worse authoritarian states.

It sorta reminds me, (and im not aiming this at you chen) of this argument I hear all the time directed against the Occupy movement: "Well, if they are unhappy about not earning enough in America, how bout they go to Somalia and see how much better it is over there."

What a horrible and dangerous slippery slope argument. If we were to take that argument seriously, it is the death knell for a decent and equitable society and an open embracing of third world corporate feudalism.

Why should we complain if we still make 10k a year? Somali people make far less!

Why should we complain if we make 5k a year? Somali people make far less! You have no idea how good you have it here!

Why should we complain if we make one grand a year? Somali people make far less! You should be so lucky to exist in a world where your poverty is not as bad as abject famine-level poverty.

You see where Im going here? Its a horrible argument. Its funny how patriotic so many Americans are willing to be when it comes to corporate tax exemptions and blowing up brown people overseas, but once it comes to the creation of a middle class and a decent wage system (what made this country a consumer powerhouse) that same patriotism is implicit support of the old Stalinist system.

Ive also been thinking about this being a conspiratorial set up from the Illuminati or the 1% or whatever.

If we are to take economics at face value (which perhaps is the problem? i dunno), if there are no more first-world consumers due to declining wages, etc. etc., how the fuck do these industries continue to thrive?

Hey Smetty - good points. The reason i think it shouldn't be compared to the situations in Syria and Egypt is precisely because it makes it easy to downplay the police abuse.

I'm not quite sure I got your point about equating patriotism and the Stalinist system. Do you mean that people who oppose the OWS movement are opposed to the creation of a middle class and decent wage structure? Or is that (middle class + wage system=stalinism) the propaganda that i pumped out by your news outlets...?

Hey Smetty - good points. The reason i think it shouldn't be compared to the situations in Syria and Egypt is precisely because it makes it easy to downplay the police abuse.

I'm not quite sure I got your point about equating patriotism and the Stalinist system. Do you mean that people who oppose the OWS movement are opposed to the creation of a middle class and decent wage structure? Or is that (middle class + wage system=stalinism) the propaganda that i pumped out by your news outlets...?

yeah the partisanship of the whole thing is that if you sympathize with aynthing Occupy represents, you=stalinist.

On the other hand, because the Tea Party doesn't rape and shit everywhere, support of them=freedom fighter.

New film called 'Rise Like Lions' by Canadian filmmaker Scott Noble. He has basically put a timeline together for how the Occupy movement began and went global over a short space of time. Very informative but doesn't really touch on the system itself - it confines itself to talking about the subjective term 'democracy' - I'd still recommend it though:

http://www.openfilm....555&c2=0x000000

Speaking of Monsanto, did you guys hear about the court ruling recently that says small farms can sue Monsanto if Monsanto seeds show up on their farm? A nice reversal of what was happening...

Monsanto is such an evil corporation. And I am sure you could do similar Venn diagrams with any large corporation. It's absolutely disgusting how entangled business and government is.

It's not just a case of 'bad apples' or the odd corrupt individual here and there. The system itself perpetuates this kind of collusion in the first place.

Just read that earlier. I sent the protest letter that's on the ACLU website.

It's right here, if you missed it: https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3865&s_subsrc=fixNDAA

An interesting comment at the end of the article is interesting too...

Creighton feels as if Anders of the UCLA is misleading us. See her updated remarks. It’s actually worse than we thought “Quite simply, the Udall amendment will remove the wording of section 1032 which clearly states that it does not apply to U.S. citizens, and in it’s place substitute language which calls for the head of the Department of Homeland Security, Hillary Clinton, Leon Pannetta, and Eric Holder to get together and craft legislation, on their own, to submit back to congress which effectively does the same thing that section 1032 does, but seemingly may or may not actually apply to U.S. citizens.

That’s right… Udall’s proposal suggests letting globalist Hillary Clinton and her puppets rewrite something akin to the John Yoo torture memos. As written, section 1031 specifically states that it does NOT extend the powers of the executive branch under current interpretations of the war powers act whereas Mr. Udall’s proposed amendment clearly DOES provide for that end result.”

“The Udall amendment which we are being asked to support by Mr. Anders of the ACLU would actually provide the opportunity for the expansion of presidential authority to perhaps include U.S. citizens being detained and arrested by the military. It calls for a group of globalist puppets to put together a proposal and to show the legal authority by which they base their claim for expanded powers. This is why it will be supported by the Obama administration.

It should not be supported by us.”

http://willyloman.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/as-written-sections-1031-and-1032-of-s-1867-does-not-apply-to-u-s-citizens/

Guest Ranky Redlof

i think this is an improvement

u have been doing that shit overseas for over 50 years

time for the americans to get a taste of their own medicine

equality FTW!

:wink:

Archived