IGNORED

Occupy Thread

J3FF3R00

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

lol basically this.

Both the preggers and the 84 year old woman knew (hopefully) that there could be dangerous things that can happen at protests/rallies/marches. For weeks the news has been saying how police have been using force to control these OWS crowds. Not only just the police, but the people involved in these gatherings have been known to be dangerous as well. So they made a conscious decision when they left the house that day to face these dangers. Not wise.

If you had a pregnant wife or 84 year old grandmother, would you allow her to go out into the cold and march with an angry mob infront of armed police? I would not.

this is the biggest stenchiest pile of fucking shit i've ever seen

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

lol basically this.

Both the preggers and the 84 year old woman knew (hopefully) that there could be dangerous things that can happen at protests/rallies/marches. For weeks the news has been saying how police have been using force to control these OWS crowds. Not only just the police, but the people involved in these gatherings have been known to be dangerous as well. So they made a conscious decision when they left the house that day to face these dangers. Not wise.

If you had a pregnant wife or 84 year old grandmother, would you allow her to go out into the cold and march with an angry mob infront of armed police? I would not.

Let us know how much it hurt when you get your head bashed in at the protest.

Let us know how much it hurt when you get your head bashed in at the protest.

Again, see my post about the civil rights movement

lol basically this.

Another example would be walking through the ghetto wearing designer clothes, an ipod, a rolex watch, a pair of armani sunglasses, a golden cane, and a massive gold chain on.

Sure, you are legally allowed to walk through the ghetto with these things, of course robbery is illegal, but if you were to get robbed I'd have no sympathy for you.

Then again, as my original post suggested, not thinking things all the way through seems to be the underlying theme of the people involved in the OWS movement.

There needs to be a clarion call for pragmatism amongst these people. I'm seeing some overreactions on this board.

Emotionally, sure, I'd love to see every one of these bankers go do hard labor for the rest of their lives, but that's not how it works. There needs to be an immediate call for certain things, and a gradual buildup to others.

When I see someone say "OMG the troof in this is amazing...OCCUPY WALL STREET IS RIGHT BECAUSE IT IS DISSATISFIED WITH EVERYTHING", it waters down any possible impact it could have on people who are undecided but have sympathies towards the protestors.

If you want extremism, organize it. This hokey pseudo-anarchist "collective voice" bullshit is overwhelming any semblance of rational dialogue, and the media knows it.

Heres a suggestion: Create enforcer groups that are directly beholden to the collective speakers for what they did earlier. If they forced a violent protestor down to the ground or kicked him out of the protest, they then must defend their actions against the rest of the group.

that old lady was clearly asking for it. how dare she assert her right to walk in a public place. that fucking scum.

besides, she's too old to care or understand issues about civil rights anyways.

that old lady was clearly asking for it. how dare she assert her right to walk in a public place. that fucking scum.

I think this is the sort of overreaction that he was talking about.

:facepalm:

we have some people in this thread who will probably appreciate the front pageof Drudge right now, they went there so they knew what they were getting into. In my mind the tank-man in China should have been run the fuck over, because clearly he knew what he was getting into, snake LOL

Drudge headlines:

As other cities crack down, DC Council backs 'Occupiers'...

UNIONS SUPPORT... Occupy protesters plan to 'shut down' Wall Street on Thursday...

'You're going to see what a Molotov cocktail can do to MACY'S'... 2011-11-15T173609Z_01_NYK502_RTRIDSP_3_USA-PROTESTS-NEWYORK.jpg

'OCCUPY' PAVEMENT...

Party Over In Zuccotti Park, But Not The Whining...

Down to a dozen overnight...

Shooting at UC Berkeley during protests...

Man arrested at LA camp for public masturbation in front of children...

Now, ringworm and scabies hit 'occupy' camps...

FYI every single 'reason' more like excuse the police and city officials are using to demonize the encampments ie: they are dirty, unsanitary, violent, drug users, etc were leveled at the protesters during the Vietnam war, and pretty much every historically important protest movement of the 20th century.

Same propaganda, different decade.

OWS had multiple problems. Its really depressing to watch because had they had a bit more strategy and better timing they could have actually achieved something.

try reading this

I have a confession to make. At first, I misunderstood Occupy Wall Street.

The first few times I went down to Zuccotti Park, I came away with mixed feelings. I loved the energy and was amazed by the obvious organic appeal of the movement, the way it was growing on its own. But my initial impression was that it would not be taken very seriously by the Citibanks and Goldman Sachs of the world. You could put 50,000 angry protesters on Wall Street, 100,000 even, and Lloyd Blankfein is probably not going to break a sweat. He knows he's not going to wake up tomorrow and see Cornel West or Richard Trumka running the Federal Reserve. He knows modern finance is a giant mechanical parasite that only an expert surgeon can remove. Yell and scream all you want, but he and his fellow financial Frankensteins are the only ones who know how to turn the machine off.

That's what I was thinking during the first few weeks of the protests. But I'm beginning to see another angle. Occupy Wall Street was always about something much bigger than a movement against big banks and modern finance. It's about providing a forum for people to show how tired they are not just of Wall Street, but everything. This is a visceral, impassioned, deep-seated rejection of the entire direction of our society, a refusal to take even one more step forward into the shallow commercial abyss of phoniness, short-term calculation, withered idealism and intellectual bankruptcy that American mass society has become. If there is such a thing as going on strike from one's own culture, this is it. And by being so broad in scope and so elemental in its motivation, it's flown over the heads of many on both the right and the left.

The right-wing media wasted no time in cannon-blasting the movement with its usual idiotic clichés, casting Occupy Wall Street as a bunch of dirty hippies who should get a job and stop chewing up Mike Bloomberg's police overtime budget with their urban sleepovers. Just like they did a half-century ago, when the debate over the Vietnam War somehow stopped being about why we were brutally murdering millions of innocent Indochinese civilians and instead became a referendum on bralessness and long hair and flower-child rhetoric, the depraved flacks of the right-wing media have breezily blown off a generation of fraud and corruption and market-perverting bailouts, making the whole debate about the protesters themselves – their hygiene, their "envy" of the rich, their "hypocrisy."

Read more: http://www.rollingst...0#ixzz1doXOODSY

[/left]

I'm sorry but the part I highlighted is just bullshit. if they're really tired of everything, go buy some cheap land in the middle of Nebraska, start a farm and live off the land like our ancestors did.

Find 1,000 friends, everyone pitch in 3k and buy this:

http://www.landsofne...=&inv_id=477465

Its 2300 acres.

Arg *shakes cane* those damn whipper snappers! So basically what you are saying Chengod is the conservative trope of 'if you dont like it here, leave?' i expected you defeat the 'bullshit' of the article with something semi compelling.

heavy handed nonsense from the oligarch apologists

I'm sorry but the part I highlighted is just bullshit. if they're really tired of everything, go buy some cheap land in the middle of Nebraska, start a farm and live off the land like our ancestors did.

Find 1,000 friends, everyone pitch in 3k and buy this:

http://www.landsofne...=&inv_id=477465

Its 2300 acres.

Arg *shakes cane* those damn whipper snappers! So basically what you are saying Chengod is the conservative trope of 'if you dont like it here, leave?' i expected you defeat the 'bullshit' of the article with something semi compelling.

Read my responses to Vamos Scorchos as to why simply saying "everything sucks we're tired of it" is a lame ass excuse for protesting.

If you don't like everything about a place, clearly you're in the wrong place - but that Rolling Stones article is, like i said, some tired ass lazy journalism. Moving to something completely different is certainly the change that he seems to advocate anyways. So how is that different from moving to somewhere (still within the US) and starting something new?

"Oh our pop culture is so bland, oh our 2 political parties are exactly the same"

Comparing those two things is an exercise is hyperbole. Why would the author even bother? he goes on about commercials - I can't even remember the last time I saw a commercial, cause I dunno - I choose to opt out of that pop culture bullshit (of which rolling stone played a large part in creating -wheeee, the cognitive dissonance is fucking incredible)

Look at my points in the "We are the Foundation" thread. To say that I'm merely parroting conservative talking points is willful ignorance, so fuck you Robbie.

And what happened to the old woman and pregnant lady is inexcusable, anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

I had the privilege of protesting with Betty Krawczyk some time ago. That woman is an outstanding example of what protestors should be about.

http://youtu.be/yoG9PmdGaT8

So just so we're clear, it's totally cool to mace an old woman and a pregnant lady in the face?

I don't recall saying that.

Often in language, someone can 'say' something without 'saying' anything at all.

Don't blame these women for being victims. You would have to be a complete sociopath to mace either one in the face at a peaceful protest. Yes, people have been beaten by the police, but these people are largely grown men. It takes a particular type of coward to attack someone that is clearly fragile.

http://youtu.be/yoG9PmdGaT8

So just so we're clear, it's totally cool to mace an old woman and a pregnant lady in the face?

Often in language, someone can 'say' something without 'saying' anything at all.

Don't blame these women for being victims. You would have to be a complete sociopath to mace either one in the face at a peaceful protest. Yes, people have been beaten by the police, but these people are largely grown men. It takes a particular type of coward to attack someone that is clearly fragile.

:cisfor:

Yeah. You didn't exactly say it was "cool" but you kinda were saying she deserved it. That is wrong.

yeah but the cops are just dumb reactionary snakes. by simply existing in their presence she was placing herself in an unavoidable line of fire.

Archived