IGNORED

The recurring phenomenon of shitty genres within electronic music that gain wide acceptance

hardcode

i know what you mean about IDM but with dubstep theres that very specific "look what i can do with my laptop" sound that is unique to dubstep. it's this clashy flamboyant amateurish style that i first heard from dnb producers like evol intent. sounds very worked hardly on and intricate, but shallow and trendy-sounding

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That only applies to a few shitey mainstream producers aka brostep. There's LOADS of interesting stuff within the genre. Don't know why you keep generalising.

Do you want everyone to have the same taste in music as you? There are always going to be people that like music you perceive to be shit. They love it though.

Hardcode are you really 31 years old? I feel sorry for you duder. This is like the kinda shit I used to think and post when I was like 19.

This whole argument is stupid but even within that you're contradicting yourself. The OP is about music being good because it "makes you think" (whatever that means) but then you're down on other stuff because it "lacks soul". So which is it man?

This isn't an argument it's an open ended discussion. Sorry you see things that way. There's no contradiction. The soul comment was in relation to what someone else posted. I thought it was pretty obvious. That was regarding dubstep, or how i percieve dubstep. I understand now that I should refer to it as brostep. But that brings up another point. The reason i havent bothered to try and find this supposed good dubstep is cause i havent bothered, having been so turned off by the popular brostep in my face all the time. Im sure im not the only one this happens to. THis is why this music is bad, because it's like a plague that destroys other music.

The reason i havent bothered to try and find this supposed good dubstep is cause i havent bothered, having been so turned off by the popular brostep in my face all the time.

I couldn't agree more, it's the main reason I dislike those kind of producers.

However if you think it's destroying the rest of the genre (the good stuff), by the way I don't agree, then surely you are contributing by letting the "brostep" put you off?

Why do you listen to the bad stuff in the first place?

dont you dare dislike any kind of music, or else you're a snob. in order to be socially legit you must like and enjoy what everyone else does, even if it sucks.

fuck you.

"ignorance is bliss"

If you dismiss an entire genre, then ye, you're a snob. Dickhead.

Just listen to music. Then, while the music is happening at you, think about it. Think, do I like this music? Am I interested or bored right now? Does this music make me bob my head or tap my foot? Would I like to sex up a fine lady while listening to this music? If I am in a car, am I suddenly driving much faster because of the influence of this music? Is this music giving me an exhilarating rushing feeling in my chest like I am watching a thrilling or poignant film? Etc.

Write down your responses to these questions (notice there are no questions about the concept of "genre"). Total them up on a scoreboard or bingo sheet. Do this for about a week then apply a Poisson distribution to the scores you've generated. Everything in the long-ish tail of high scores indicates music you enjoy. You should then initiate activities to pursue those artists and/or album.

I just don't understand this point of view. BAD dubstep has turned you off to good dubstep? What kind of sense does that make? There's bad everything.

Dubstep is nothing anyway. It used to be a tempo, but it's barely that anymore. Where were you in 2007 and shit? Go listen to some Benga and get back to us.

YES.

I played Photek for a couple of 18 year olds I worked with because they asked about drum and bass. I even played brown paper bag. they looked at me like i was an idiot. then they showed me skrillex and called as i lay dying metal.

I was thinking the other day about dubstep and its rise to mainstream popularity with respect to other genres. What does it have in common with house, trance, techno, etc. The one thing I noticed is that they are all easy on the ears and easily digested mentally (you dont have to really think you just "feel" the music). I dont know if this is because everyone who makes this music does drugs. But it seems that if you're sober, you have a hard time accepting that this music is good. Another thing I noticed is that these genres easily become popular. I'm also somewhat at a loss as to why this happens. I think it might have something to do with the aforementioned digestibility of the music and the fact that you dont have to think that much.

What does this say for genres that might require the end user to actually think a little bit? Drum and bass could be called pseudo-intelligent music I guess. Because theres a small amount of producers of DnB that make decent tunes, but then of course you have the bacterical plague of people who think they produce DnB but are only diluting the waters and runing the genre by constantly putting out shitty tracks on daddy's record label or money from their parents. But the fact that the majority of people dont really want to be bothered with things that require them to think almost creates something of an artificial shit barrier around decent genres. This is what I think.

this intelligent/stupid dichotomy you talk about is absurd. in the end, it leads you to believe you're in some kind of élite, and that's why some of us call you a snob. nobody is forcing you to like anything; it may be perceived in that way, but it's not. is about what you like and enjoy, and what other people may like and enjoy. i don't think i can call my friends idiots for liking shitty dubstep (even if i think it is), and they're not idiots for not looking into every label there is for something i think is better. i might be like that, but my friends aren't.

dont you dare dislike any kind of music, or else you're a snob. in order to be socially legit you must like and enjoy what everyone else does, even if it sucks.

fuck you.

"ignorance is bliss"

i think this attitude puts you in the same level as those who try to build up their identity around "shitty" music.

i agree that genres get formulaic, but there's always exceptions. and that's the thing about music. if you like some of it, and establish a difference against other types of it, great, you've defined what you like. be happy about it.

I dunno, if I was at some big ass outdoor rave, then i'd kind of want something to dance to. You know?

I mean don't get me wrong, ital tek is fucking dope, but would you play it on a dancefloor?

I mean Timo Maas is pretty crappy most of the time but this remix of Doom's Night is pretty fucking hot on a good sound system (speed it up a bit for a dance floor)

I was thinking the other day about dubstep and its rise to mainstream popularity with respect to other genres. What does it have in common with house, trance, techno, etc. The one thing I noticed is that they are all easy on the ears and easily digested mentally (you dont have to really think you just "feel" the music). I dont know if this is because everyone who makes this music does drugs. But it seems that if you're sober, you have a hard time accepting that this music is good. Another thing I noticed is that these genres easily become popular. I'm also somewhat at a loss as to why this happens. I think it might have something to do with the aforementioned digestibility of the music and the fact that you dont have to think that much.

What does this say for genres that might require the end user to actually think a little bit? Drum and bass could be called pseudo-intelligent music I guess. Because theres a small amount of producers of DnB that make decent tunes, but then of course you have the bacterical plague of people who think they produce DnB but are only diluting the waters and runing the genre by constantly putting out shitty tracks on daddy's record label or money from their parents. But the fact that the majority of people dont really want to be bothered with things that require them to think almost creates something of an artificial shit barrier around decent genres. This is what I think.

It's not really about thinking. It's just that some people 'feel', to quote you, with an higher level of musical intelligence.

Like take a jazz saxophonist with years of practise under his belt. When he goes into a solo, his mind is on of course, but it's only adjusting knobs here or there. He is feeling the rest as it flows out of him and through the instrument.

So i guess what you meant is that the entry level for the types of music you were disparaging is lower. Fair enough i say, maybe they're better at something that would be useful for mankind besides understanding music. Maybe.

sorry, i knew i should have corrected myself when i said it destroys other music. that's not exactly what i meant and i knew you would mention that. i should have rephrased it as "its tendency to be popular and more exposed to mainstream culture puts it in a position where it can be possibly interpreted as representative of the genre as a whole, thereby preventing potential appreciative listeners of the decent stuff from every hearing it". which basically is the same thing as destroying it, for other people.

Also, being a big enough cunt to jump up on the monitors and dance like a white guy while your shitty music plays in the background (without you performing it) is a decent reason to dislike a shitty producer. Sure I want to dance on the dance floor but that doesn't alter the fact that benny benassi fucking sucks, or blows. what ever. fuck him.

and in the end this thread isn't about my personal opinions or how i feel about dubstep, as much as people are trying to interpret it that way. it's about genres in general and how outside factors such as greed, money, and privilege can affect the musical integrity of them.

Also, being a big enough cunt to jump up on the monitors and dance like a white guy while your shitty music plays in the background (without you performing it) is a decent reason to dislike a shitty producer.

I did that at one of my recent gigs :whistling::cry:

.. that said though, it was a 15 minute set so I couldn't really plan an elaborate live setup..

Jonas how many times do i have to repeat myself, this is not a whine and im not crying about dubstep. I know theres nothing I can do about it. I grew up a skater (before it was mainstream). I've dealt with annoying mainstream culture my entire life. I understand how to ignore it. That doesn't mean I can't create a discussion about what causes some of these terrible things to happen.

Archived