IGNORED

The recurring phenomenon of shitty genres within electronic music that gain wide acceptance

hardcode

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even sure if I can talk about 'dubstep' anymore, everyone seems to have a different idea of what it is.

I'm assuming you're American right? I can see how the whole skrillex etc thing would put you right off listening to anything supposedly of the same genre. Thing is, it has no relation to what we called dubstep over here in the UK - for a couple of years there were some amazing records coming out that didn't really sound like anything else. Now, there's a few interesting producers like Pearson Sound still going, but most of the intersting producers (like the Vex'd guys or Ital Tek) are doing stuff that couldn't really be called dubstep by any stretch. There's still a whole load of records that were classified as 'dubstep' that are worth checking out though.

Anyway, here's a 'dubstep' mix i did a few years back, when the records still actually had some dub in them.

http://www.derail.candusound.co.uk/mp3/hidden%20frequency%20192kbit%20-%20mixed%20by%20derail.mp3

Also, being a big enough cunt to jump up on the monitors and dance like a white guy while your shitty music plays in the background (without you performing it) is a decent reason to dislike a shitty producer.

I did that at one of my recent gigs :whistling::cry:

.. that said though, it was a 15 minute set so I couldn't really plan an elaborate live setup..

The difference is you don't produce shitty music.

Holy shit, hecq is terrible at dubstep. surprising with him being such a reknowned sound designer, whatever that means.

Anyway, I still like and make dubstep, and it's the first time people in bands/rappers have come up to me and asked to collaborate. I stopped giving a shit, but the result of me I going into mainstream sound seems to be that my more personal and experimental music morphs into aggressively stranger territory than before, as if it's trying to counterbalance my attempts to be hip and all that.

I don't like what's happened to dubstep but there are great artists out there as always, it's a fun sound, and when it's popular, it's the least shitty form of pop that I know. I grew up on Idm and was still weirded out by the dubstep half-tempo the first few times I heard it.

this shit is ok but it still suffers from that "look what i can do with my laptop and how technical i am" sound that is a staple of IDM. completely lacking soul

Fixed.

Anyways, another reason good dubstep might not be popular is since most people listen to music on either their laptop, shitty iPod earbuds or the radio at their workplace, none of which can actually produce the bass frequencies used in dubstep that is, you know, actually dubby. (imagine listening to this and missing out on the bassline - it's pretty much the hook of the song and you'd be missing it)

Pretty much spot on, both quotes.

House, trance, techno is popular because it's fun to dance to in clubs.

Dubstep is popular because the people that used to listen to metalcore and whatnot needed something new to listen to. Drops are just beatdowns with robots attached.

lol

everyone in this thread sounds so old "dubstep isn't the way it used to be man, back in my day ..."

to be fair I've been calling it boring funkless shit since 2006 or whenever it was that everyone started going on about it

I mean don't get me wrong, ital tek is fucking dope, but would you play it on a dancefloor?

er, yes. dude's got some banging tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtVn8z7-dzg

Should have been more specific I guess - i meant the ital tek track that was originally posted.

Also, being a big enough cunt to jump up on the monitors and dance like a white guy while your shitty music plays in the background (without you performing it) is a decent reason to dislike a shitty producer. Sure I want to dance on the dance floor but that doesn't alter the fact that benny benassi fucking sucks, or blows. what ever. fuck him.

Man I love it when DJs get into their sets.

this shit is ok but it still suffers from that "look what i can do with my laptop and how technical i am" sound that is a staple of IDM. completely lacking soul

Fixed.

Anyways, another reason good dubstep might not be popular is since most people listen to music on either their laptop, shitty iPod earbuds or the radio at their workplace, none of which can actually produce the bass frequencies used in dubstep that is, you know, actually dubby. (imagine listening to this and missing out on the bassline - it's pretty much the hook of the song and you'd be missing it)

The irony of talking about shitty sound quality and then linking to a youtube video is killing me.

Archived