IGNORED

The recurring phenomenon of shitty genres within electronic music that gain wide acceptance

hardcode

good list! though a lot of the music on there isn't really dubstep but clearly owes something/is related to it

A lot? Such as?

Maybe not a "lot" of it. What I'm familiar with I can comment on.

When someone says "dubstep" I think of a particular sound exemplified by the early guys (like DMZ, Loefah, Kode9). There has to be a clear connection with dub for one thing. Shuffle-y rhythms with space, particular kick and snare sounds, a basic style. The more experimental stuff riffing off of that style which came afterwards is not strictly dubstep to my mind, especially when producers add influences from other genres to make a unique, different sound. That's just how I see it. I keep my definition strict partly as a reaction to the shit that gets passed for "dubstep" these days. I mean it's practically become a dirty word, I like to think it can be reclaimed by defining it strictly.

So for example, Burial. I called it dubstep at first but later realised it's more like dark garage/2step rhythms with a distinct ambience (fuzz and woodblocks). He talks a lot in his interviews about being influenced by UK rave/hardcore as well. Also 2562's Aerial is dubby for sure but incorporates techno influences. Boxcutter's Oneiric is a crazy hybrid of IDM, glitch and dubstep rhythms, some tracks have fast breaks and acid squelches. Sepalcure have a nice r+b vibe with vocals going on in some of their tunes... so on and so forth.

tldr: I'm probably being too anal but I see "dubstep" as a very specific sound that is no longer widely produced

those were all good examples, imo. "dubstep" was still a good catch-all term for 70/140bpm UK...still, all of its heralded producers and originators seem to have abandoned the term or simply moved on from the term in recent times, it's all "bass music" or "future garage" now

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah thanks for compiling a list, and if it's supported by ascdi, i'll give the recommends a listen. I still don't like the genre because i don't like the dub end of the spectrum very much, but we'll see what happens.

I feel like you'd like Silkie, dleet. It's worth a try anyway.

oK, I just went on a silkie mission and i don't like any of it. It just relentlessly carries on and on with no sugar to sweeten the pill, and no funk to keep my arse from being still. And horrible synth choices that somebody should kill. So of this mister silkie i've sure had my fill./

good list! though a lot of the music on there isn't really dubstep but clearly owes something/is related to it

A lot? Such as?

Maybe not a "lot" of it. What I'm familiar with I can comment on.

When someone says "dubstep" I think of a particular sound exemplified by the early guys (like DMZ, Loefah, Kode9). There has to be a clear connection with dub for one thing. Shuffle-y rhythms with space, particular kick and snare sounds, a basic style. The more experimental stuff riffing off of that style which came afterwards is not strictly dubstep to my mind, especially when producers add influences from other genres to make a unique, different sound. That's just how I see it. I keep my definition strict partly as a reaction to the shit that gets passed for "dubstep" these days. I mean it's practically become a dirty word, I like to think it can be reclaimed by defining it strictly.

So for example, Burial. I called it dubstep at first but later realised it's more like dark garage/2step rhythms with a distinct ambience (fuzz and woodblocks). He talks a lot in his interviews about being influenced by UK rave/hardcore as well. Also 2562's Aerial is dubby for sure but incorporates techno influences. Boxcutter's Oneiric is a crazy hybrid of IDM, glitch and dubstep rhythms, some tracks have fast breaks and acid squelches. Sepalcure have a nice r+b vibe with vocals going on in some of their tunes... so on and so forth.

tldr: I'm probably being too anal but I see "dubstep" as a very specific sound that is no longer widely produced

I just use dubstep as a general term for music with looped, broken rhythm and (mostly) a lot of bass. I use the term techno for example as a general term for all 4/4 music, no matter if Selected Ambient Works Vol I., house, hardcore or I don't know. But thanks for the real meaning of dubstep, maybe I should be more careful how to call stuff. These days, when I say "I like dubstep" (cool) people could easily think I'm a retard (cause of Skillrex and Co) and I don't want that cause I only listen to good... bass music :emb:

Yeah of course it is a personal choice. But you give good reasons for your distinction and when I think about the problems of the use of the term dubstep as a general term which can occur these days (which I have done in my previous post) I want to change my personal choices. Not because you told me so, but because it is reasonable. Anyway :closedeyes:

yeah thanks for compiling a list, and if it's supported by ascdi, i'll give the recommends a listen. I still don't like the genre because i don't like the dub end of the spectrum very much, but we'll see what happens.

I feel like you'd like Silkie, dleet. It's worth a try anyway.

oK, I just went on a silkie mission and i don't like any of it. It just relentlessly carries on and on with no sugar to sweeten the pill, and no funk to keep my arse from being still. And horrible synth choices that somebody should kill. So of this mister silkie i've sure had my fill./

Hah! Bummer.

• 7 years later...
On 11/22/2011 at 5:35 AM, Guest nene multiple assgasms said:

he who is unsatisfied with silkie is unsatisfied with life.

Absolutely. 

I don't know how people can hate on the guy - he's very musical!!!

hmm 2011 was a mecca for bad electronic music. Though this thread was probably just made because of the Skrillex thing. EDM isn't nearly as popular as it once was (I think) so this bridges over to another larger phenomenon called a 'fad'.

39 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Another fine time capsule.

Bumping old threads is starting to become an art form onto itself. Pretty soon we'll have different genres of bumping.

I love Taylor Swift's Shake It Off...I'd probably kill anyone who tried to steal my 1989 LP or the mp3 of it.

The above songs are not representative of Taylor's oeuvre.

Fabricated popularity ftw! In-crowd promotion through yer `underground` ? alliance of yay sayers,  you scratch my...,  I scratch yours type of skam artists. Gotta love the hustle. 

Btw what happened to hardcode? He was a special kind of cunt. Didn`t he make musix in his truck or something?

10 hours ago, Brisbot said:
11 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Another fine time capsule.

Bumping old threads is starting to become an art form onto itself. Pretty soon we'll have different genres of bumping.

unlock the skrillex thread imo

Archived