IGNORED

The consequences of a new Aphex Twin album

hardcode

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skrillex's production is irrelevant, it's his status as a mainstream artist and what he says in interviews that is linking mainstream idiots to underground art that they never would have bothered checking out themselves, but now do so through mainstream-proxy.

let me tell you about a little band called radiohead.

also, shut up.

i never listened to radiohead unlike you which im sure "creep" was your little high school personal anthem. i dont really care. radiohead is a stupid band.

way to miss the point.

point being that radiohead were responsible for exposing aphex and autechre to a huge chunk of people.

Not only that but look at what Trent Reznor was distributing here in the States on his Nothing label. Lots of our featured artists.

And on genre differences that does nothing but help exposure considering how popular Radiohead and NIN were (and still are). It has the potential to expose a very large amount of people to the lesser known genre.

the internet was nowhere near as widely used then as it is now, nor was there as much of a potential fanbase poised and ready to be exposed to a new LP, so

of course i already mentioned that. i knew someone would mention nin. what a surprise i have to repeat myself again.

So your only point is that more people use the net now. ok. But that doesn't discredit the previous ones. Which, in my first post here, is why I mentioned them together.

So your only point is that more people use the net now. ok. But that doesn't discredit the previous ones. Which, in my first post here, is why I mentioned them together.

fail both if you are serious or trolling

and then everybody will get on me, and skrillex will say he likes me and everyone will listen to my stuff,

but wait theres more:

After all the hype is set, i will go on a widely exposed interview and when someone asks me if i like skrillex, i will answer "who the fuck is skrillex?"

I'm pretty sure it will be the other way round, with skrillex releasing a full album and richard d james biting his style.

Consequence for me:

- hears a few leaked/ripped tracks

- buys the vinyl

- doesn't get it for a week or two but has a few fave tracks

- hears more tracks in the dj sets

- grows to LOVE the album

- reads everyones elses opinions good and bad

- reads official reviews - pitchfork, wire, guardian etc

- listens again

- LOVES the album

- hears some tracks in other dj mixes

- realises Aphex is a genius all over again

- hears skillrex for the first time and wonders what the fuck everyone was talking about

This is always how it works though. Eccentric musicians release crazy things that border on not being music (eg Merzbow). Slightly more sensible musicians make slightly more palatable music, and naturally are influenced by the more cutting edge / crazy musicians that they like to listen to (eg Aphex Twin). Even more mainstream musicians are influenced by them (eg Radiohead). And even more are influenced by them. That's just how it works. There's a broad spectrum between unlistenable, unmusical noise, and bland pop music, to name just one axis, and everyone seems influenced by someone just a bit less easy to listen to and a bit more of an acquired taste than they are. All of this music has its place.

As an example, I'd Rather Be With You was ripped off in Freak Like Me (Bootsy Collins got a credit, so I'll assume that was OK). This was mashed up with Are 'Friends' Electric?, and that mashup in turn was covered by a pop band. Yet you don't see teenyboppers going out and buying Gary Numan and Bootsy Collins records. Pop will eat itself. That's just how memes propagate, how culture cultivates. So you can either release your music and accept that it's no longer in a protected, isolated, impenetrable bubble, or you can hoard it for yourself. I for one hope to get to hear more of Richard D. James's work, even if it means that there will inevitably be more Iran So Far Aways and Blame Games. There's enough culture to go around that you can focus on what you love and ignore the rest.

every time some shitty producer gains a certain hype we must discuss his relationship to aphex carrier here...

h3OP1.png

the difference is these all fade away while aphex stays as they have no real value in their production that stands the wheel of time

Lol. Hardcore stop deconstructing yourself. At least don't use Skrillex in every second sentence. We all know it's shit. Why do you keep thinking about shit instead of thinking about good stuff?

Instead you could buy this thing and have fun (I think that's why Gocab posted it, right?):

wpid-yike-bike.png

if syntheme is global goon then who's that blonde? just some chick who djs?

This still hasn't been answered. I thought syntheme was the blonde girl who used to post quite a lot in YLC

This is always how it works though. Eccentric musicians release crazy things that border on not being music (eg Merzbow). Slightly more sensible musicians make slightly more palatable music, and naturally are influenced by the more cutting edge / crazy musicians that they like to listen to (eg Aphex Twin). Even more mainstream musicians are influenced by them (eg Radiohead). And even more are influenced by them. That's just how it works. There's a broad spectrum between unlistenable, unmusical noise, and bland pop music, to name just one axis, and everyone seems influenced by someone just a bit less easy to listen to and a bit more of an acquired taste than they are. All of this music has its place.

As an example, I'd Rather Be With You was ripped off in Freak Like Me (Bootsy Collins got a credit, so I'll assume that was OK). This was mashed up with Are 'Friends' Electric?, and that mashup in turn was covered by a pop band. Yet you don't see teenyboppers going out and buying Gary Numan and Bootsy Collins records. Pop will eat itself. That's just how memes propagate, how culture cultivates. So you can either release your music and accept that it's no longer in a protected, isolated, impenetrable bubble, or you can hoard it for yourself. I for one hope to get to hear more of Richard D. James's work, even if it means that there will inevitably be more Iran So Far Aways and Blame Games. There's enough culture to go around that you can focus on what you love and ignore the rest.

I like how you made the connection between merzbow and pop

Archived