IGNORED

Prog Rock

roasty

I'm a punk man myself, which was invented as the antihesis against prog, so I will gladly bow out of this thread.

I do like Wish You Were Here by the Floyd but I presume I don't need to tell you about that.

Yea like a bit of Floyd, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and so on...generally those bands aren't my cup-o-tea though. I guess 'cosmic' is a stupid way of putting it because there's a lot of wafting fluff to that effect; rather more into tracks that have a dreamy sense of space & time while still grounded on Earth and standing the test of time (like the Nazareth track above). That's highly subjected to my tastes though

Always appreciated the DIY-aesthetic of punk, can totally see how it would come about as a backlash against prog at the time

• 3 months later...
Guest ansgaria

Porcupine Tree. The earlier you go in the back catalogue, the more progressive and spacey it is. Best act in the world, if you ask me.

Eloy are great space-prog, and easier to digest than most other prog bands. They can get pretty ridiculous but their solos are tasteful and melodic:

Funny how not many people know them though. Definitely worth checking out (mostly their late 70s/early 80s albums) if you're into space rock and synths. They're still going as well, and still awesome.

I'm a punk man myself, which was invented as the antihesis against prog, so I will gladly bow out of this thread.

It's funny though how post-punk kinda incorporated elements of prog, examples being Magazine and The Stranglers (especially La Folie; a friend showed me that album last weekend and it's prog as fuck!)

Guest saakki

Gentle Giant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yGcpaY_4

Fellas have some serious synths on the stage! Whole concert is just mind blowing. Just check the range of instruments they use throughout the gig. :w00t:

And some others: Yes, Gracious, MAN, Wigwam (from Finland), Egg, Spooky Tooth, SBB, Steve Hillage, Soft Machine, Camel, Aphrodite's Child, Magma, Saat, Amon Düül II, Guru Guru..check the Vertigo swirl catalogue for some great prog artist too..need moar..go to progarchives!

Oh and here are two of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQdYokbp4E&ob=av2n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aqALiyvLTY&feature=related

Edited by saakki