IGNORED

Photodementia - Fig. 03

Redruth

Just got the vinyl today from bleep. it sounds fantastic. Totally in awe of this album :wub: making my wait for the ufabulum vinyl that much bareable

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CraniumXII

I actually don't know how to judge this. As I actively listen to this, it bores me... but once it becomes a background soundtrack to whatever I'm doing, I find it quite enjoyable and atmospheric. As I sit here writing this "review," it reminds me of the possible soundtrack to a Metroid game, and that is a good thing for me. Not every track hit's the sweat spot though... It become too repetitive at times, having this "been there, done that" feel, IMO. Very reminiscent of Richard classics...

While actively listening, it just seems so boring and stale. Simple in production, and nothing super dynamic about the whole thing. I'm actually surprised about the extremely positive reception it's getting here. I feel like certain WATMMers have made better choonz.

It has taken some time to digest, and I've listened to it in a couple of different formats. My overall feeling is about the same as when I first heard it... it's pretty good at times, but I feel like it leaves a bit to be desired. It doesn't really impress in any way, nor does it explore the unexplored. I'm gonna give it a 6/10...

Now, no one kill me please!! :sad:

Guest NinjaRapAttack

I still think it's one of the best releases of the year, so far...

The Drexciya fan boy in me bought the tape and the vinyl. I think vinyl sounds WAY better.

I took great care in making my own personal digital version:

(Ripped each side straight to WAV files and cut up the tracks in Ableton. Added slight compression/limiting for max volume. Exported and converted to mp4 apple lossess, and they now live happily on the ipod.)

It sounds fantastic... Analog, LFO madness, 808 dream. The first track is just brilliant.

I think Rephlex knew they had a winner here... and made mystery completely wild, because it deserves it's own legend.

Guest Ricky Downtown

I actually don't know how to judge this. As I actively listen to this, it bores me... but once it becomes a background soundtrack to whatever I'm doing, I find it quite enjoyable and atmospheric. As I sit here writing this "review," it reminds me of the possible soundtrack to a Metroid game, and that is a good thing for me. Not every track hit's the sweat spot though... It become too repetitive at times, having this "been there, done that" feel, IMO. Very reminiscent of Richard classics...

While actively listening, it just seems so boring and stale. Simple in production, and nothing super dynamic about the whole thing. I'm actually surprised about the extremely positive reception it's getting here. I feel like certain WATMMers have made better choonz.

It has taken some time to digest, and I've listened to it in a couple of different formats. My overall feeling is about the same as when I first heard it... it's pretty good at times, but I feel like it leaves a bit to be desired. It doesn't really impress in any way, nor does it explore the unexplored. I'm gonna give it a 6/10...

you have to put on your 1997 ears

How are you listening to this? mp3/flac rips don't sound nearly as good as the vinyl just so you know.

the way you describe it, i get the feeling you're not much into electro / drexciyan vibes.

sorry if it sounds a bit snobby but as it has been said it refers to 90ies non-to-less-mainstreamish detroit (mainly drexciya),

while its informed and emancipated enough to stand alone, it takes the minimalism (ever heard something more efficient than simple drexciya baselines ?)

and strips it down even further, partly at least, using carefully selected and well programmed bass and pad patches,

together with slighty modernized drumprogamming,

(is there something more hypnotic than a deep baseline with slowly opening cutoff and a harsh noisy snare hitting at 156 bpm? nope don't think so)

proving good taste and understanding for the refernces, with elaborated programming skills

as well as understanding of composition in general: thats the shit here that contributes to electronic musik and forms a bridge to the present of said genre.

The songs are simple and efficient and thats the charm of it.

So this is most enjoyed from an informed perspective, but as I said its strong enough to stand on its own legs.

Some tracks could be considered as fillers, I could agree, and you probably miss tapestops or you have never heard of drexciya, eitherway, let it grow on you.

Guest CraniumXII

Well, thanks for providing some more insight into your perspectives... I am actually listening to 320 MP3s, and do realize that it's a shabby rip. With that said, I based my review on basically how many tracks I really liked, though perhaps 6/10 is a bit harsh. I like the slower atmospheric tracks, with "Gyrectomy" and "Sporobolus" being favorites. Tracks like "Fotografische" and "Astrography" really accent the mood, while kicking it up a notch. "Anhydrosis" and "Mysophilia" are like sister tracks, both reminding me of a kind of menacing area of a videogame, in a good way. I personally found "Nitromersol" and "Hypercatharsis" to be the throw aways... though that is a subjective statement of course, and tracks not mentioned are passable...

Again, I like the album enough, I was just a tad confused over the extremely positive reception here. So I was fishing for some of your perspectives I guess. I suppose I was probably looking for something that I wasn't meant to find. It's not close to my favorite release of the year, cause this is quite a good year for music IMO, but it is in my rotation these days... and it has grown a bit.

Today, I'm feeling it deserves more of a 7/10... Should it grow more, I'll be sure to mention it. Thanks for humoring me, and not playing too rough... Cheers! :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

This.

What's going on with this release srsly? Its good but not THAT good. I can't remenber half of the tracks.

Archived