IGNORED

I've been thinking about considering a career as a Stand Up Comedian

oyster

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll likely give up on it after I get bored of it in two months, but I hope it sticks.

Still at it. Doing comedy is fucking great, imo everyone should try it. Are there any other comedians on WATMM?

being a comedian is definitely a calling and must come naturally to those who want it. i can't imagine somebody just one day waking up and saying "i think i want to be a comedian for the rest of my life!". i think it's something that you always knew you'd do.

I actually disagree with this, from what I've learned. I think people are often very unfunny when they start, but they learn to be funny by practicing, and those people can be great comics. Louis CK's early stuff is pretty unfunny, and Marc Maron says his crowd work was terrible.

I'll likely give up on it after I get bored of it in two months, but I hope it sticks.

Still at it. Doing comedy is fucking great, imo everyone should try it. Are there any other comedians on WATMM?

We're all comedians here...

Very good you're sticking to it, btw! Well done!

I watch some of the most popular comedians and their material sometimes makes no sense to me at all, like they exist in a different world. And while I'm thinking; this is so weak, they'll perform it with such energy and confidence, their timing and delivery isn't even good. They're just saying so much stuff it's a performance in itself. Like Aziz Ansari. John Mulaney is more mannered and reserved and isn't great either at delivery and timing, but there's more grain of truth to his material like the stuff about his father is genuinely funny. That stuff appeals to me most because there's no contrivance to it, it is stuff he'd say to people when talking about his dad and it'd always be funny, regardless of how he says it, or where he is.

I think it's easier to draw laughs when you perform as a character who is all over the place, and a bit deranged, and use that as a disguise, to lean on. Johnny Vegas was on a tv show ages ago, a little game show where he said he wanted to be a comedian, and he was just himself at the time, no jokes whatsoever, and i think someone else on the show mumbled 'you better be funnier than this if you wanna be a comedian', or 'good luck at the comedy thing' or something like that. He created the drunk character and it really worked for him, you can't tell where the character and person intersect.

Anthony Jeselnik tells Jimmy Carr-like 'dark' jokes which appear to go somewhere dark then he goes further, every time, and there's plenty of videos where he just dies on stage. He's in character as being super arrogant, but it's not always noticeable. It's like the Stewart Lee thing, he's become more popular now some say because he became old and fat so his sneering character works more, in the 90s he just came across as arrogant and lacking awareness. He can pretty much make fun of something now while also making fun of himself making fun of it.

Archived