IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

Guest spprw

lol at anyone that thinks an 18year old can make this

Beleive

f12013gwqe4.jpg

hah.

that's a part of the richard d james backstory I never bought, though. he said himself that he didn't get his first equipment until he was 17 or 18, so it's more like "Selected Ambient Works 88/89-92"

i'm still going for a tom / richard split on this, it is called steinvord afterall and yeah lol at anyone that thinks an 18year old can make this

Yeah, why not? It's not emotionally deep music is it? It sounds like the angsty music a moody teenager would make to me. They're not compositionally complex tracks that are multi-layered, they're one dimensional compared to the music created by artists who've been doing it for ten years or more. Compare any of it to Venetian Snares' Shoot Myself, something he released when he was about 31 when he had the ability to create tracks that expressed more than just relentless rage. It's just sheer majestic beauty.

People thinking this is Aphex Twin seem to be forgetting that something like The Tuss is sophisticated and so rich in detail that after no matter how many listens it never gets old. When Richard D James puts these compositions together, he clearly spends more time on them than his other music, and as such they don't feel rushed with an urge to express as Steinvord's tracks do.

I could believe they're Squarepusher's though.

suffocated poon, your post is great but maybe they used each other's equipment to have some quick fun and this came out of it!

I don't know but first time i hear tuss i thought afx and i have it with this 2

Guest rotchnock

i'm still going for a tom / richard split on this, it is called steinvord afterall and yeah lol at anyone that thinks an 18year old can make this

Yeah, why not? It's not emotionally deep music is it?

I think this is simply not true. most of the Steinvord tunes out there are (at least the few stuff he has released) certainly are more into the accelerated intense side, but there is great emotion in these 2 tracks, the melodies are fantastic and anyone with a good ear for melodies will agree

i love this one, and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3P5L99OOiw

It's kinda amazing how it goes from a sort of cheesy childish vibe to a kind of sad-weird vibe in only 2 minutes with great transition.

This is good stuff and at this point I just would like to get all those tracks on proper digital format.

Its funny because I think untitled97 sounds so much like Wisp.... See his last 2 albums for a point of reference.

Also he has been hanging out with RDJ quite a bit recently. I wouldn't be surprised if the speculation that it was a collective was true, at least for the myspace page, and then just tom and rich for the release.

i'm pretty convinced its someone from watmm/rephlex taking a piss. i mean theres a song with a pun on read the rules, there's no myspace friends and it was initially posted here and on xltronic i believe. it all is a bit too silly. like an ultimate prank on the 'everyone-is-afx' paranoia. i doubt we'll ever know who's behind this.

i'm pretty convinced its someone from watmm/rephlex taking a piss. i mean theres a song with a pun on read the rules, there's no myspace friends and it was initially posted here and on xltronic i believe. it all is a bit too silly. like an ultimate prank on the 'everyone-is-afx' paranoia. i doubt we'll ever know who's behind this.

Yeah the phorumwankey intelligent review mix or whatever is kind of funny lol

I personally believe at least Tom reads these forums.

Doesn't it seem all too ironic all the tron speculation and then he makes dark steering?! seems like a clear nod to Tron, kind of poking fun at the people that were saying it...?

Oh or that thread about "clean breaks" and then in an interview a couple weeks later Tom was all talking about "clean breaks" in his interview (lol I know, a different type of clean breaks but still a bit too much of a coincidence..)

maybe just a coincidence. Still I enjoy being paranoid and speculating

Edited by StephenG

i like to think my favourite artists, especially the ones around 40, have better things to do than come up with cunning plans to troll internet forums. steinvord is probably sup. isn't sup from some hispanic country anyway? makes sense.

i like to think my favourite artists, especially the ones around 40, have better things to do than come up with cunning plans to troll internet forums. steinvord is probably sup. isn't sup from some hispanic country anyway? makes sense.

True. Then again some of these artists were part of the forums at a time, WATMM is a piece of the "IDM" puzzle, culture wise. If anything it wouldn't be trolling it'd be kind of a nod of recognition for anyone willing to pay enough attention. :emotawesomepm9:

did Sup make good tunes???

Edited by StephenG

Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

:facepalm:

What?

snare rush snare rush snare rush ad infinitum. ("you now have the option of taking heroin" Chaos AD)

I didn't say I don't like it though. I like it enough that I own 95% of his albums, EPS, unreleased materials, and live sets. haha

Well if you own everything he has released then I dont really understand what your up to.... You either like it or not unless you're rich and like to spend money on things you think are crappy and unoriginal.

Irrelevant notes: I think most of Luke Vibert's stuff sounds pretty similar. This does not stop me from owning most of it.

Even if it's not particularly inventive within their own discography, sometimes it's just a sound that you can't really find anywhere else, so what else are you going to do if you want more? One must suffer the boring with the great, sometimes.

Guest spprw

do you really think age has any affect? why should they have better things to do? this is all they have to do. also, if they're lying about the person's artistic identity, his age, why would you trust the country they say he's from on some broke myspace page.

EDIT: I have no idea who sup is

honestly, I think it's just insecurity. everything with the "Aphex Twin" label on it is never going to be considered on its own merit. it's going to be scrutinized and compared with everything he's done before; and if it doesnt blow the reviewer's head off, and amaze people the same way 'girl/boy song' or 'windowlicker' did (before they had heard anything like those songs) it will be written off. 'derivative', 'self-plagiarized' etc. so I think that's what ktpa was, and retreating to modular/analog synths for 11 EPs was, creating a fictional couple/group to release 'rushup edge' through, etc. it's a hostile reaction to the pressure of expectation

Edited by spprw

Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

:facepalm:

What?

snare rush snare rush snare rush ad infinitum. ("you now have the option of taking heroin" Chaos AD)

I didn't say I don't like it though. I like it enough that I own 95% of his albums, EPS, unreleased materials, and live sets. haha

Well if you own everything he has released then I dont really understand what your up to.... You either like it or not unless you're rich and like to spend money on things you think are crappy and unoriginal.

Irrelevant notes: I think most of Luke Vibert's stuff sounds pretty similar. This does not stop me from owning most of it.

Even if it's not particularly inventive within their own discography, sometimes it's just a sound that you can't really find anywhere else, so what else are you going to do if you want more? One must suffer the boring with the great, sometimes.

That is a good way of saying it, sometimes I am not good with words, but that is what I was getting at.

Vibert and his Wagonchrist alias are prime examples.

Edited by StephenG

I think this is simply not true. most of the Steinvord tunes out there are (at least the few stuff he has released) certainly are more into the accelerated intense side, but there is great emotion in these 2 tracks, the melodies are fantastic and anyone with a good ear for melodies will agree

It's kinda amazing how it goes from a sort of cheesy childish vibe to a kind of sad-weird vibe in only 2 minutes with great transition.

This is good stuff and at this point I just would like to get all those tracks on proper digital format.

Well I'm just referring to the music on the ep he's released. I've said before I actually think those two tracks are aphex twin because I think he'll have dozens of these sweet addictive tracks in the same vein as Bbydhyonchord and Orban Eq Trx4.

I'm not attributing them to Steinvord because they're completely different than the other tracks and haven't been released by him.

Guest rotchnock

but why would you spend month's or years to make all those great amazing tracks to just "take a piss". Some of the track have amazing work put to them. It doesn't sound like a pisstake to me, sounds like a pretty serious solid record (at least the released EP).

What is kind of non-serious is Steinvord's image or presence. I mean he has no Twitter, Facebook, no Myspace updates, anything, wereas artists take care of their own online presence which is key nowadays if you want to make it. But music wise is pretty fucking serious to me. I hope you get what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcBbe241YU

Well I'm just referring to the music on the ep he's released. I've said before I actually think those two tracks are aphex twin because I think he'll have dozens of these sweet addictive tracks in the same vein as Bbydhyonchord and Orban Eq Trx4.

I'm not attributing them to Steinvord because they're completely different than the other tracks and haven't been released by him.

huh, but those were sometime in Steinvord's myspace and were taken from there, so Steinvord made them. If an artist uploads a tune to his myspace and doesn't release it in a record those tracks can't be attributed to him? what kind of logic is that.

Edited by rotchnock

but why would you spend month's or years to make all those great amazing tracks to just "take a piss". Some of the track have amazing work put to them. It doesn't sound like a pisstake to me, sounds like a pretty serious solid record (at least the released EP).

What is kind of non-serious is Steinvord's image or presence. I mean he has no Twitter, Facebook, no Myspace updates, anything, wereas artists take care of their own online presence which is key nowadays if you want to make it. But music wise is pretty fucking serious to me. I hope you get what i mean

huh, but those were sometime in Steinvord's myspace and were taken from there, so Steinvord made them. If an artist uploads a tune to his myspace and doesn't release it in a record those tracks can't be attributed to him? what kind of logic is that.

The logic is that there is speculation it is a collective, and some tracks were thrown in there on the myspace to throw people off (oh, this doesn't sound like the rest of the tracks? hmmm... who could it be? etc etc) . Personally I think the untitled tracks were made by Wisp, him being a friend of Richard and all. Listen to one of his most recent releases The Shimmering Hour. Sounds a lot like the untitled tracks.

Kind of similar to the Tuss situation, if you remember.... So because they weren't actually released on the EP even though they were good tracks, I think what he's saying is they weren't actually by who steinvord actually is (IE tom and rich..). I hope that made sense.

Edited by StephenG

i'm not saying someone made them to take a piss, just that they were released as this mystery artist to take a piss. maybe someone had a few tracks lying around, decided to make a funny, and since this is quality material in the end it got released. also there are like 10 tunes in general, i really doubt it took months, let alone years. i always got the impression these were a product of one session. like a few weeks of trying to make weird acid tracks. with surprisingly solid results.

Guest rotchnock

The logic is that there is speculation it is a collective, and some tracks were thrown in there on the myspace to throw people off (oh, this doesn't sound like the rest of the tracks? hmmm... who could it be? etc etc) . Personally I think the untitled tracks were made by Wisp, him being a friend of Richard and all. Listen to one of his most recent releases The Shimmering Hour. Sounds a lot like the untitled tracks.

Kind of similar to the Tuss situation, if you remember.... So because they weren't actually released on the EP even though they were good tracks, I think what he's saying is they weren't actually by who steinvord actually is (IE tom and rich..). I hope that made sense.

Im sorry for Wisp but he wish he did something like 'untitled' which sounds something that could have been in Druqks. I personally dont get ur parallels with Wisp tbh. But yeah I get what you mean.

i'm not saying someone made them to take a piss, just that they were released as this mystery artist to take a piss. maybe someone had a few tracks lying around, decided to make a funny, and since this is quality material in the end it got released. also there are like 10 tunes in general, i really doubt it took months, let alone years. i always got the impression these were a product of one session. like a few weeks of trying to make weird acid tracks. with surprisingly solid results.

Yeah i meant the process of being that good, not the actual tracks. It takes years at being in the game until you are that good with sequences/synthesizers and whatever. And tbh a track like Maelstrom could have taken something like a month to ensamble imo

Edited by rotchnock