IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

It's my idea... just speculation...

U all know that MEN (Remember "2 Remixes by AFX" & "Smojphace EP") is just a catalogue number bcause they haven't worked out a name 4 this label yet... U all know that it's not really a sublabel, but is assisted by Rephlex Record. U all know that the "Bonus High Frequencys" track on MEN01 (or third untitled track) is not a noise track but an SSTV image

(sources from discogs and "2171_1790756.jpg") -

ok, we can start : it's indicate, at the top, on SSTV image : "It's the first release on Richard/tom & grants label" & below we can c a photo with Richard & Tom...

Here is the strategy: let us admit that it's well Richard & Tom behind all this and so that we cannot recognize our artists, they decided to take out this record completely incognito and without credit, just Steinvord as moniker and title... If they didn't take out this EP 2 MEN, it's just 4 sowing the doubt... In this way, they wanted 2 B only judged 4 the quality of their music & 2 return in clubs without we know whether it's them. But go out 2 Rephlex 4 principal reasons (we had known that with The Tuss), certainly 4 the business...

& still, they thought of the hard-line fans 2 have 2 find a moniker as Steinvord, 2 sow even more the doubt (with the respective tracks Steinbolt and Vordhosbn) 2 support well that it's a collaboration, even if they decided 2 tell us stupid things kind a young 18-year-old Spaniard who is behind all this... I believe that that amuses them putting confusions and especially, once again, 2 B only judged 4 the quality of their music... Roughly, they wanted 2 know if the journalists or the fans will wonder if it's well Richard & Tom behind all this, because that looks like what a lot what they made or the opposite... Seen what passed with The Tuss, they decided well not 2 play these tracks in live nor 2 put them in the catalog of BMI, 2 keep well their secret.... They would have liked (especially Richard) not being named & being recognized (but it would have been difficult 4 them, seen the number of taken out albums we eventually familiarized with their style, take Burial, 4 example which was perfectly unknown at the release of its first album - 4 Gorillaz, we recognized the voice of Damon, among others, what makes that the secret was not kept) - & 2 have new opinions or new criticisms but that seems 2 B missed, by persuading that Steinvord is this 18-year-old Spaniard, or then it's a genius of the music by copying 2 Squarepusher and AFX... It's hard 2 digest... Dave Monolith with "Welcome" put us in the doubt until that we learn who is hidden behind this moniker that didn't last... While Steinvord that remains solid...

Then Y the good original musicians who copy AFX & Squarepusher aren't encouraged 2 take out an EP while this Spaniard's done, him, fascinated Richard & Grants? Where's the originality in all this? We C rather a progress & a continuity in what makes Squarepusher & AFX, except that there is a collaboration... there is a thing which is faulty that's going eventually explode...

It's my idea... just speculation...

U all know that MEN (Remember "2 Remixes by AFX" & "Smojphace EP") is just a catalogue number bcause they haven't worked out a name 4 this label yet... U all know that it's not really a sublabel, but is assisted by Rephlex Record. U all know that the "Bonus High Frequencys" track on MEN01 (or third untitled track) is not a noise track but an SSTV image

(sources from discogs and "2171_1790756.jpg") -

ok, we can start : it's indicate, at the top, on SSTV image : "It's the first release on Richard/tom & grants label" & below we can c a photo with Richard & Tom...

Here is the strategy: let us admit that it's well Richard & Tom behind all this and so that we cannot recognize our artists, they decided to take out this record completely incognito and without credit, just Steinvord as moniker and title... If they didn't take out this EP 2 MEN, it's just 4 sowing the doubt... In this way, they wanted 2 B only judged 4 the quality of their music & 2 return in clubs without we know whether it's them. But go out 2 Rephlex 4 principal reasons (we had known that with The Tuss), certainly 4 the business...

& still, they thought of the hard-line fans 2 have 2 find a moniker as Steinvord, 2 sow even more the doubt (with the respective tracks Steinbolt and Vordhosbn) 2 support well that it's a collaboration, even if they decided 2 tell us stupid things kind a young 18-year-old Spaniard who is behind all this... I believe that that amuses them putting confusions and especially, once again, 2 B only judged 4 the quality of their music... Roughly, they wanted 2 know if the journalists or the fans will wonder if it's well Richard & Tom behind all this, because that looks like what a lot what they made or the opposite... Seen what passed with The Tuss, they decided well not 2 play these tracks in live nor 2 put them in the catalog of BMI, 2 keep well their secret.... They would have liked (especially Richard) not being named & being recognized (but it would have been difficult 4 them, seen the number of taken out albums we eventually familiarized with their style, take Burial, 4 example which was perfectly unknown at the release of its first album - 4 Gorillaz, we recognized the voice of Damon, among others, what makes that the secret was not kept) - & 2 have new opinions or new criticisms but that seems 2 B missed, by persuading that Steinvord is this 18-year-old Spaniard, or then it's a genius of the music by copying 2 Squarepusher and AFX... It's hard 2 digest... Dave Monolith with "Welcome" put us in the doubt until that we learn who is hidden behind this moniker that didn't last... While Steinvord that remains solid...

Then Y the good original musicians who copy AFX & Squarepusher aren't encouraged 2 take out an EP while this Spaniard's done, him, fascinated Richard & Grants? Where's the originality in all this? We C rather a progress & a continuity in what makes Squarepusher & AFX, except that there is a collaboration... there is a thing which is faulty that's going eventually explode...

Prince is right, of corpse it's afx and squarepusher

it's probably just some fun they had and they released it as steinvord just to laugh at all the forum wankery

mission accomplished

I can't believe some people think its a 16 year old spanish guy, hell phacking lol

Haven't read the thread yet.

It's definitely Richard or one of his friends. He can't hide it from us (the creepy fans) but your average Aphex fan isn't going to hear about this unless they follow Rephlex. Makes people more likely to run into it and say "Hey this is good music from an artist I've never heard before" which I would think is Richard's goal.

Also, I love the album. This style of Aphex has always been my favorite. It's reminiscent of remix two on the 2 remixes album. Box Energy or whoever the hell.

if there was ever any mention of steinvord without aphex twin being mentioned as well i guess i would understand the logic of richard trying to make something without his name attached to it. and it's been going on since the myspace popped up, so it's not like it started now.

Steinvord

A name that’s been talked and argued about in equal measures from the murky depths of IDM message boards to Skrillex fan pages, Steinvord is one of the most talked about electronic producers of the moment. It seems Steinvord has hit a nerve with various circles of IDM nerds in the murky recesses of the internet and Skrillex fans closer to the internet’s surface. Posting up a number of lo fidelity tracks up on his MySpace as far back as 2009, Steinvord’s identity has remained very much a mystery. Signed to Rephlex records and with a self-titled EP which shipped just a few weeks ago Steinvord’s identity has been a source of many heated and often entertaining debates throughout internet message board exchanges.

Initially thought to be an Aphex Twin side project, Steinvord has all the hallmarks of Richard D. James’ idea of a joke. Like the Steinvord release, Richard D was also thought to be behind a 2007 Rephlex records release The Tuss. Initially credited to two Cornwall producers; Brian Tregaskin and Karen Tregaskin, the speculation that the pair was in fact simply a pseudonym of D. James grew out of the presence of a Yamaha GX1 on the groups recordings. An incredibly rare and equally costly vintage synth, the GXI was a staple on credited Aphex Twin releases. Further proof was derived from the publishing of the tracks in BMI’s repertoire under James’ name along with composer credits on the group’s releases on Rephlex. Rephlex’s co-founder; Grant Wilson-Claridge denied all claims about The Tuss’ identities.

A further claim to Steinvord’s identity has also been made. Squarepusher, an artist who is usually mentioned in the same breath as Aphex Twin is also alleged to be the mystery prodigy. The basis of the Squarepusher claim originates to the similarities in both sound and drum programming techniques. The album in question is Go Plastic, released in 2001 saw Squarepusher (Or Tom Jenkenson as his mother would know him) ditch physical instruments and hardware in favour of a more “Brutal and digital” sound. Indeed the sounds on Go Plastic seem akin to Steinvord’s sounds in that both sound entirely synthetic and like they were made completely on a laptop. In terms of drum programming, Steinvord also bears hallmarks of Go Plastic’s sound. Flurries of sampled drum breaks mutate and move within the tracks, acting as the tracks melody and rhythm with dizzying complexity. Indeed the principal track on Go Plastic which sounds most like Steinvord is “My Fucking Sound” and shares the same breakneck manipulation and triggering of drum breaks and sparse reverb laden textures on top.

Despite all this speculation and internet forum wars, Rephlex seems to be very much unconcerned about the matter. The official line on Steinvord’s identity is that he is an eighteen year old producer hails from somewhere in Europe and decided to release what mp3 files the label had found floating around on various message boards. While this may be the case the confusion over who exactly Steinvord is and the likeliness of it being another poke in the ribs to IDM fans by Richard D James has kept just about everybody guessing. While the whole affair may seem like overly serious music nerds speculating pointlessly over the identity of an artist instead of simply enjoying the release, the Steinvord hubbub is not without humour. In the months leading up to the EP’s release, a rumour propagated by an image board in the darker recesses of the internet put up a thread which hilariously alleged Skrillex as the identity behind Steinvord. The ensuing confusion which was plastered all over the Skrillex subsection of Reddit and subsequent Skrillex fan forums poking fun at IDM nerds reverence for their favourite artists and Skrillex fans confusion as to where the “drop” was in the new tracks.

Regardless of the layer upon layer of chatter and internet forum battles that have and currently are raging over this release it’s clear that Steinvord’s self-titled new release whoever he or she might be is a dam good one. Whether a European child prodigy produced the EP or that it’s an in joke produced by one or more of electronic music’s most lauded and secretive leading lights Steinvord is an incredibly strong first release. Complex stuttering and break neck paced drums dominate throughout and atmospheric reverbed samples blunt it’s edges Steinvord is one of the best records of this year.

Source : http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/steinvord

Who can give me "phorumwanky 'intelligent review mix'" in mp3? PM me, please thanks! ;-) bcause i don't know how i can take it/download it...

Otherwise, a free new steinvord track from lastfm.fr : Toothsucker... lol

http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Steinvord/_/Toothsucker

:cisfor:

Guest chunky

afx was in bed with his girlfriend with a new laptop and he made some tracks on there then uploaded them to myspace for a laugh

Guest chunky

aphex twin's girlfriend was in bed with him and he made some musci on a new laptop

then she said upload it to myspace for a joke

then they uploaded it

then they put it out on rephlex years later

and all the fans of aphex twin made lots of theories

and the theories helped to sell the record

and aphex twin went to the bank

and there was 11938 squilliion dollars in the bank

so ends the story of steinvord

• 1 month later...

Isn't it safe to say that if it were anyone new they'd want to get a name going for them? Start showing up and doing live stuff?

Unless the guy feels like his stuff isn't life worthy or is just really shy? Which given the nature of the music he makes I could see that.

Its even more synthetic then anything Richard has down. You know what I'm pretty sure this is just some new shy guy with talent.

Unless the guy feels like his stuff isn't life worthy or is just really shy? Which given the nature of the music he makes I could see that.

what you mean given the nature of the music?

I stated this in the Steinvord thread in music discussion but I'll post it here as well. It could be Soundmurderer, he played a remix he'd made of 'District Line II' at Bangface Weekender and it was fucking brilliant!

I listened to the album a few times now, and I must say, I don't really hear Richard so much as I hear Tom in it. And it's not just the drum sounds: often the atmosphere is "Do You Know...", and there isn't an AFX element at all, to my mind.

Speaking of the record, I didn't see if anyone else had this issue, but the third track on my copy was blocked off from the first two. There's no hairline track going across it at all, so I had to pick up the needle and put it on the third track in order to hear it. Was anyone else's copy like that? Was it made that way on purpose, or was my copy (which I ordered from Bleep) just a fuck up? I copied an MP3 recording of it, so I likely won't use the physical medium again for a long time, but that "feature" kind of bugged me. It seemed like the jerky kind of thing I'd expect rephlex to do, if it was done on purpose.

I listened to the album a few times now, and I must say, I don't really hear Richard so much as I hear Tom in it. And it's not just the drum sounds: often the atmosphere is "Do You Know...", and there isn't an AFX element at all, to my mind.

Speaking of the record, I didn't see if anyone else had this issue, but the third track on my copy was blocked off from the first two. There's no hairline track going across it at all, so I had to pick up the needle and put it on the third track in order to hear it. Was anyone else's copy like that? Was it made that way on purpose, or was my copy (which I ordered from Bleep) just a fuck up? I copied an MP3 recording of it, so I likely won't use the physical medium again for a long time, but that "feature" kind of bugged me. It seemed like the jerky kind of thing I'd expect rephlex to do, if it was done on purpose.

Yeah, i've got 1 like ur vinyl... i bought another Steinvord EP, ever new, I left it in the packaging... 4 in case... But not ordered from Bleep. i bought both from music shop.

Speaking of the record, I didn't se

e if anyone else had this issue, but the third track on my copy was blocked off from the first two. There's no hairline track going across it at all, so I had to pick up the needle and put it on the third track in order to hear it. Was anyone else's copy like that? Was it made that way on purpose, or was my copy (which I ordered from Bleep) just a fuck up? I copied an MP3 recording of it, so I likely won't use the physical medium again for a long time, but that "feature" kind of bugged me. It seemed like the jerky kind of thing I'd expect rephlex to do, if it was done on purpose.

you just got rephlex'd