IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

and tom addresses the steinvord fiasco here: http://digboston.com...w-squarepusher/

Lastly, do you know anything about this mysterious artist off of Rephlex known as Steinvord?

TJ: What’s the name of the artist?

Steinvord. It’s supposedly a pseudonym for a mixture of two of yours and Richard D. James’s tracks ("Steinbolt" and "Vordhosbn").

TJ: No—I mean, nothing I could say about it in public, no. [Laughs] But in all honesty, what can I say? Nothing.

well that clears everything up...

i personally still don't care. good to great tracks, person(s) behind them totally unimportant

well that clears everything up...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not - it doesn't seem to clear anything up :unsure:

oh no, definite sarcasm implied. damn internet machine never seems to detect it

indeed, it's pretty clear he knows who is behind it. which also means it's no random dude as they make it out to be, he seems like the kindof guy who would give credit then. who'd (apart from the old rephlex doods) make tight tracks like those and not want to get some sort of credit for it lol?

Guest CraniumXII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTCckJs0OU

What is this original track. Is it really Steinvord renamed to that? Or a fake made by someone on WATMM

It's good either way.

Those pads are very Richard, IMO...

I still think it must be some old collaboration. Odd that a new comer wouldn't want people to know who he was, especially after people began speculating he was the next coming of AFX or Squarepusher.

I like the above track...

Edited by CraniumXII

and tom addresses the steinvord fiasco here: http://digboston.com...w-squarepusher/

Lastly, do you know anything about this mysterious artist off of Rephlex known as Steinvord?

TJ: What’s the name of the artist?

Steinvord. It’s supposedly a pseudonym for a mixture of two of yours and Richard D. James’s tracks ("Steinbolt" and "Vordhosbn").

TJ: No—I mean, nothing I could say about it in public, no. [Laughs] But in all honesty, what can I say? Nothing.

hahah clever

Very little has been revealed about electronic artist Steinvord beyond his/her tunes, but internet speculation has driven some to claim that the mysterious musician is none other than IDM pioneer Aphex Twin (aka Richard D. James). While there's no concrete evidence to support this, Steinvord's label Rephlex, owned by James, hasn't out and out denied it either.

According to FACT, on top of Steinvord's tunes settling into a mash-up of acid house, IDM and electronica, as evidenced on the project's MySpace page, a big part in the conspiracy theory is that the seemingly Barcelona-based act's moniker being a coy mash-up in itself. People point to Squarepusher track "Steinbolt" (from 2004's Ultravisitor) and Aphex Twin's "Vordhosbn" (from 2001's Drukqs) as the tip-off and inspiration behind the Steinvord title. Whether or not the message board sleuthing turns out to be a MacGuffin remains to be seen, but here's what Rephlex had to say on the matter:

Rephlex knows virtually nothing about this artist. We discovered him via internet forum rumours a couple of years ago. All our communication has been very sporadic and unusual. We know his name but are not allowed to disclose it. All we can say about his location is Europe. We think he probably makes music using a computer but we're not sure. We don't think he's released anything before. But the kids love it! & so do we. One might say that it has elements of electroacoustic sound sculpture colliding with fierce drum and bass rhythms but this wouldn't really be describing it too well. It's atmospheric future music, available on retro vinyl only for the foreseeable. But more work is expected in 2012.

Aphex Twin fans will surely remember that we went through almost this exact same thing a few years back with Rephlex project the Tuss.

First up in the new year for Steinvord is the project's self-titled debut twelve-inch, which Rephlex releases January 6. Check out the tracklisting below.

Gregory Adams

from http://exclaim.ca/News/is_steinvord_actually_aphex_twin

Does anyone else think that the Steinvord stuff is outtakes from the Drukqs album? Or at least tracks made during that time, maybe with good old Tom J handing around the old bank?

from http://www.idmforums.com/showpost.php?p=782942&postcount=6

not only is rephlex gradually becoming a photocopy of itself (i.e. analord -> monolith) but they're further screwing themselves over by sitting on releases for three years at a time. steinvord is likely to be delayed anywhere from 3-6 times, and by the time it's released, it won't be particularly fresh any more. but then, i don't really think they give two shits. "we release the music we like, when we like."

it pisses me off, because they're squandering a good thing. rephlex hasn't been hungry for years, and they've grown fat. i'm eagerly waiting for some new sprout to step up and eat their lunch -- but i'll still be a bit sad when that finally happens. 2012 is seeming like the year

from http://www.idmforums.com/showpost.php?p=799208&postcount=15

I don't see why anyone would be looking at rephlex for new blood. It's basically rdj's personal label, isn't it? It just for him and his pals, last time I checked.

I think that's great. Nothing had about it at all.

Just, if your looking for some "new sprout", wouldn't it be best to look elsewhere?

Also, I'd hardly say they've "grown fat". That is stretching it a bit.

Whoever wrote that is a dumbo head.

It's easier to form phrases with musical meaning at lower tempos. For instance - I'm sure Venetian Snare's music would improve greatly from this technique.

i dont know. i imagine the creation of a track like that is done in segments and he probably tests out certain parts. starts from beginning, goes back to a segment and re-edits. piece meal in other words. i guess certain phrases wouldn't fit if the tempo changed without time stretching or changing the pitch? the genius of aphex is the fitting all the parts together into a cohesive idea. . its nice to hear it slow cause you can dissect it as a listener .

The more I listen to Steinvord, and admittedly I don't listen to it much, the more I'm convinced it's probably a Rephlex version of a Gescom umbrella project. There might be some rdj in there, but I don't think he's necessarily the driving force (except on the myspace untitled track, which is pretty convincing).

It can't be an 18 year old because there aren't enough dick jokes. It can't be exclusively RDJ because there aren't enough dick jokes.

It could be a dump of TJ outtakes or TJ tracks in various stages of development, tweaked a little by some other Rephlexian.

It could just be LU[REDACTED].

I'm not sure that the material really warrants intense scrutiny.

Edited by baph