IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

The more I listen to Steinvord, and admittedly I don't listen to it much, the more I'm convinced it's probably a Rephlex version of a Gescom umbrella project. There might be some rdj in there, but I don't think he's necessarily the driving force (except on the myspace untitled track, which is pretty convincing).

It can't be an 18 year old because there aren't enough dick jokes. It can't be exclusively RDJ because there aren't enough dick jokes.

It could be a dump of TJ outtakes or TJ tracks in various stages of development, tweaked a little by some other Rephlexian.

It could just be LU[REDACTED].

I'm not sure that the material really warrants intense scrutiny.

Good post.

The clue that it is something to do with Mister James is that he/they left off the classic Untilted 9. A true trait of Aphexian standards. No 18 year old kid would do that I'm afraid.

It was Aphex Twin on his laptop in bed using whatever cheap VST/DAW/WAREZ he had to hand. He programmed the tracks in his usual style, perhaps a little less polished than usual. It was a bit of a rush job, but the quality is still high because of Aphex's talent. It was a guy making music for fun in his spare time. He uploaded the tunes to myspace because he was feeling a little bit bored and wanted to start a mystery on the messageboards. And his girlfriend was in bed with him when he made these tracks.

100 % truth

i dont know. i imagine the creation of a track like that is done in segments and he probably tests out certain parts. starts from beginning, goes back to a segment and re-edits. piece meal in other words. i guess certain phrases wouldn't fit if the tempo changed without time stretching or changing the pitch? the genius of aphex is the fitting all the parts together into a cohesive idea. . its nice to hear it slow cause you can dissect it as a listener .

the whole thing sounds awesome at 65% speed. also the drum samples sound fine at 65% but sped up at normal speed.

aphex hates paulstretch

if true probably because he was using Kyma and metasynth to do equally high quality stretching at least a decade before Paulstretch came out

Edited by Awepittance

no, i think because he thinks it is uninventive. it just sounds like a wash. no clever programming, nothing new added to the world.

i dont really understand why you would say no, he was doing identical sounding time stretches 10 years ago, but im basically agreeing with you for the same reasons you just established. And most likely his Paulstretch-esque sounds of 10 years ago weren't due to 'clever programming' but instead obscure software that he liked to use at the time.

Edited by Awepittance

turbosnob says:

June 17, 2012 at 9:13 am

Steinvord is actually someone mixing together a bunch of old Warp/Reflex catalog stuff to good effect. It’s not RDJ and it’s not new music. It’s easy enough to recognize whole passages sampled from old Aphex and Squarepusher tracks.

I know, “Sampling in electronic music!? What gall!”

Not saying Steinvord isn’t good sounds. Just, saying it’s not RDJ/TJ/

It sounds like those guys’ stuff, because it samples those guys’ stuff.

EDIT : Who recognize these sampled tracks?

Edited by Anchio Arch io Son Pittore

By: Richard Ellmann

Every time Rephlex announces (or simply releases without warning) a new signing who has no other releases out on any label, I flip a coin. If it’s heads, I decide it must be another Aphex Twin project trying to catch his followers off-guard. If it's tails, I decide to believe: it must be someone who sent in their first demo and Richard D. James and Grant Wilson-Claridge liked it. But whichever side of the coin turns up, one thing doesn't change: the records are always great; they're terror attacks on your brain with outrageous IDM in the best Rephlex braindance tradition. This first 12” by Steinvord is no exception.

The coin might land on its edge, too. In that case, I decide it's neither Aphex Twin nor a rookie, but a new sidestep by Squarepusher, also playing hide and seek. These five tracks, in fact, sound a lot like the Tom Jenkinson who has already released his harder stuff on Rephlex using the moniker of Chaos A.D., and now that Warp has announced his return to straight-up electronic music without the jazz digressions, back on the path that he strayed from in the good old days of “Hard Normal Daddy” (1997), one could think of “Steinvord” as a dress rehearsal. The clues are there: “Iyff Acid E1” has a title (and a sound) that could be from the “Analord” series, which would raise the stakes in favour of Aphex. “Cyg X-1”, on the other hand, is a complex and dirty drill'n'bass exercise with an overdose of icy synths, reminiscent of the old “Hangable Auto Bulb” or the most out of control moments of “Drukqs” (Ontrackv2, particularly). But it sounds more like Squarepusher on “Maelstrom”, a piece in the line of “Come On My Selector”, only without the classic electronic bass and with the occasional nod to 1994 ragga-jungle. It seems obvious this material must come from a veteran, someone who was around during the old school (which could mean Luke Vibert had something to do with this, too: maybe Steinvord is a continuation of Vibert's Amen Andrews alias), but at this point I will refrain from further speculating and focus on what's really important: whoever made this and for whatever reason, “Steinvord” features five pieces of pure delight for the most avid IDM fans. If you are one, you know what to spend your next six pounds on.

from : http://www.playgroundmag.net/music/music-reviews/ep/steinvord

:trollface:

why's it hard to believe that aphex twin's obsessed with squarepusher so much that he sat in bed one afternoon copying his song on the ol' laptop.

Like the soundtrack to a hacking scene in a 90s scifi movie.

hah, perfect. it sounds better than that, though, even with that video's audio quality being garbage.

for that video i recorded the source off another youtube vid, so that's at least one compression, then i made the wmv and uploaded it to youtube, that's two more. the audacity speed change probably reduced quality, also.

if anyone has a good record player setup...

Edited by very honest