IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

still convinced It's Squarepusher (or he's involved in some way) mainly because of some production tricks from the go plastic/DYKS era

Yeah I've always held it was going to be MEN03 (Tom and Richard's collab label)

still convinced It's Squarepusher (or he's involved in some way) mainly because of some production tricks from the go plastic/DYKS era

The name & track titles sound Jenkinsonesque. Not to mention production & general feel.

Edited by olo

I think whoever can clean up the section at 2:47 (Reversed, sliced and ring-modded) of this will get closer to the answer

I actually just did that. It's a pitched down, and reversed version of the vocal sample that goes "east sound, west sound". Still trying to find the origin of the sample so I can post it here. You can easily reverse the track and hear it almost clearly.

EDIT: Found the origin of the sample (at the beginning after "heyheyhey!")

Edited by Consul

Hell yeah, nice one - At it's slowed down pitch I thought it sounded like Tom but yeah ... good jungle knowledge Consul! So is this the record heavily sampled for Venus No. 17 too, or is this DJ Gunshot track sampling from something older ?

Hell yeah, nice one - At it's slowed down pitch I thought it sounded like Tom but yeah ... good jungle knowledge Consul! So is this the record heavily sampled for Venus No. 17 too, or is this DJ Gunshot track sampling from something older ?

the original sample is from this:

the "hey hey hey" is a sample of david rodigan, probably from a soundclash or something, very famous reggae/dancehall MC

they've both been sampled a million times over in jungle so you cant pin that to squarepusher so easily, even though he's used both on many tracks of his

On my copy this is the last track B2 Ontrackv2

IIRC they did something cheeky with the way the sides are labelled or something. I don't recall exactly what though. Like some vinyl had the A and B sides reversed?

Anyone member?

I had 2 copies at one time and I'm almost certain the A side on one had 3 tracks and the A side on the other had only 2 tracks. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

On my copy this is the last track B2 Ontrackv2

IIRC they did something cheeky with the way the sides are labelled or something. I don't recall exactly what though. Like some vinyl had the A and B sides reversed?

Anyone member?

I had 2 copies at one time and I'm almost certain the A side on one had 3 tracks and the A side on the other had only 2 tracks. 

So some copies were fucked up in terms of track names/amount of tracks on side? That's weird.

I think some just had the "A" and "B" etchings indicating the side reversed - not sure if on purpose as a joke or just a few f'ed up. Looking at discogs a few people mention something similar.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Yeah, with A and B etched in the runout my copy has the tracklist below

A1     Backyard     
A2     Maelstrom
-        Locked groove    
A3     Iyff Acid E1     

B1     Cyg X-1     
B2     Ontrackv2

https://www.discogs.com/Steinvord-Steinvord/release/3407862

Collab? I’ve only seen RDJ releases from that label.

Even though afx and sp deny it steinvord sounds too much like explorations from the Go Plastic and Drukqs era.. prob locked in for a Men release ,but didn't get around to it for whatever reason.

Afx moved away from DSP style to Analords and Sp went jazz funk. Also Afx has denied aliases before - like with Tuss he said it wasn't him and something along the lines of he'd never name a track Death Fuck  :wink: 

Given the use of those samples, it's highly likely the pusher was at least involved in some of the production, to say the least. But whatever the reality, fact is there hasn't been another steinvord release since. Which is a bigger thing, if you ask me. Regardless of who made it. You'd expect there to be more material. So it's either not released. Or released under a different pseudo.

Also, the fact that it's just one release increases the odds it was a combined effort of james/jenkinson, imo. As they won't be producing together often. Which is the final option: there wasn't more to release. 

also, "[[Laughs]]"

;)

Still a big fat NAH from me - missing something . sure the sound's are there, some rhythms, style... but.. the "magic" is missing.

Totally appreciate that if im proved wrong my ears/brain will change -  a sort of placebo effect. Is this shallow? I don;t think so.. just think its how it works with me. Perception influences music appreciation. 

Collab? I’ve only seen RDJ releases from that label.

I think the intention was that it was gonna be both of them (plus Grant?) but stopped after just the two releases. Taken from Bonus High Frequencies -

2171_1790756.jpg

removed bleep store info for steinvord (written either by afx or grant):

"You may have heard all the conspiracy theories as to who Steinvord actually is, a well-known producer in disguise, an equally as well-known collaborative duo, or a fresh new talent that's obviously good enough to make us second guess. Well, secret identity aside, these tracks have been bubbling along in the underground for some time now and finally get a release via the powers that be at Rephlex. For all fans of Aphex Twin and other forms of mutant experimental music, wriggling acid worms and malformed drum and bass."

Edited by B1000