IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

On 8/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, hoggy said:

oh fuck I forgot about steinvord, my old HD broke so I lost all my MP3s. Has anyone notice the Doom sample in Backyard?

Doom sample? I never played much Doom so not sure what sound you're talking about

5 minutes ago, vkxwz said:

Doom sample? I never played much Doom so not sure what sound you're talking about

(I queued it up, sound at about 0:36)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, nickthefish said:

No damning evidence here but definitely some bits of info that make it seem more likely. It's slowly working it's way toward being on of my favourite releases, super dark, gritty, aggressive and subtle all at the same time, there are lots of really quiet sounds I never even heard in my first couple of listens honestly that now seem like integral parts of the tracks. Some parts actually feel like drukqs drill type tracks except taking place in the same space as gwarek2. If it's RDJ, it's easily his darkest release in terms of mood imo.

And good catch @hoggy, at around 1:25 ish in backyard, it's possible it's not but it sounds like it.

Edited by vkxwz
  • Like 1

Thanks for reconnecting me with that one; it's a really lovely track.  Mostly I had focused on just the plain "untitled" track which sounds like a direct outtake from Drukqs.  Hard to imagine that being anyone else.  I think this is absolutely a Drukqs-quality track and I'd love to get a high quality, mastered version.

9 hours ago, zlemflolia said:

by the way, richard himself told me

idk what this means

Edited by atypic
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, kausto said:

what if steinvord is some kind of rephlexian gescom thing

Interesting! ?

I've give it a spin before work. Noticed that my vinyl is a bit warped, but plays fine thankfully!

51 minutes ago, atypic said:

Thanks for reconnecting me with that one; it's a really lovely track.  Mostly I had focused on just the plain "untitled" track which sounds like a direct outtake from Drukqs.  Hard to imagine that being anyone else.  I think this is absolutely a Drukqs-quality track and I'd love to get a high quality, mastered version.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like Richie to me. Someone inspired by Drukqs made that, I guess. But I don't hear the signature aphexness. And I'm afraid it's not in the same league either. 

It's only an opinion. Please, don't be mad. ?

• Like 1

• Joyrex changed the title to Steinvord Speculation
On 8/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, Bubba69 said:

I really like Steinvord, but I don't think it's either tom or rich. The mixing style is very different than anything either have done

Although if they were trying to hide it, it would be a pretty clever approach - but yeah it does sound different in the mix - I'm not smart enough to know why exactly, but it just sounds more rough/muddy/flat to me - what do you hear that is different, i'm curious?

On 8/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, kausto said:

what if steinvord is some kind of rephlexian gescom thing

that seems kinda likely, the tracks don't have a consistent style to my ears

I'm still not 100% sure either way about the Steinvord EP. I think it's Richard, or Richard & Tom, but its not entirely out of the realms of possibilty that it's someone else.

The thing that muddies the waters is those other tracks that were about at the time that were also credited to Steinvord. Some of them don't sound like Richard, or Tom, or even Steinvord - wheras that Untitled 97 track is without a shadow of a doubt a Tuss-era Richard track. I smell a Rephlex disinformation campaign.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Key said:

I'm still not 100% sure either way about the Steinvord EP. I think it's Richard, or Richard & Tom, but its not entirely out of the realms of possibilty that it's someone else.

The thing that muddies the waters is those other tracks that were about at the time that were also credited to Steinvord. Some of them don't sound like Richard, or Tom, or even Steinvord - wheras that Untitled 97 track is without a shadow of a doubt a Tuss-era Richard track. I smell a Rephlex disinformation campaign.

I have the same view.  I would never argue that all of those tracks are Rich or Steinvord; most of them seem not to be.  But gd that Untitled track is so killer.

This comment under the Complete Discography vid seems like the most likely theory, imo; there's a couple of tracks that I'm fairly sure are Rich but loads that aren't his handiwork, to my ears:

Looking back, there’s no way untitled 9 isn’t aphex. Maybe the whole idea was to create a super collab with the best idm artists alive and write it off as the efforts of one kid in their room making tunes. Very idm
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Key said:

This 100%

Also something I think is very strange/weird is the title of the track: "Rules The Read II" It doesn't fit in.. It is like someone has being on WATMM quite alot 
I think some of them are pretty spot on Aphex Twin and Squarepusher 

• 1 month later...