IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

its neither tom or richard though, its like drum break excersices, without the melody dynamic, ,,,,i.e pretty shit

no matter how welll executed;-0

Just another teenager who didn't grow up on good drum and bass records (it's irrelevant if you are older, it will be even worse).

's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

If you don't get the musicality on Steinvord tunes is because your mind is totally absorved by the whole conspiracy thing and it's not fully on the music, because it's there.

Also, let's see the current artists who have been pushing the drum programming techniques beyond Steinvord that aren't on Rephlex.

's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

If you don't get the musicality on Steinvord tunes is because your mind is totally absorved by the whole conspiracy thing and it's not fully on the music, because it's there.

Also, let's see the current artists who have been pushing the drum programming techniques beyond Steinvord that aren't on Rephlex.

Yeah that's what I'm waiting to hear....

Hahaha, my god does this forum get funky some times!

Ok, so I guess it's all subjective but some artists who I figure have been more "progressive" with drum programming technique

Tim Exile, really not his best stuff this album, (genuinely terrible in places) but some pretty awesome drum programming

Xanopitcon, far away one of the most underrated producers. Unfortunately tagged with the breakcore brush of ignore.

Cant find the right track for Beatwife, one called Ritalin (it think) is fooking awesome, dude is super fucking cool and constantly pushing stuff.

I mean fuck, even Venetian Snares or Ricky Devines stuff has moments of sheer "Woah WTF, HOW?!?!?!" in their beat programming and you really don't have to delve far into the breakcore community to find a plethora or people trying all manner of new stuff with hyper beat editing.

This isn't a vague insult in the direction of the "IDM demi godz of Watmm" so no need to get all edgy =D I don't for a moment hold any one of these producers in higher regard than AFX or pusher. ESPECIALLY in terms of musicality, as I said that Exile album was more or less terrible, Xanos stuff hasn't got close to the amount of "feeling" as some of Aphex finest moments. All I said was effectively "Drukqs and Go Plastic came out 10 years ago, people took some of those ideas and really ran with them, far beyond a point which Steinvord is reaching imo"

And also, Im not in the least obsessed with the whole conspiracy thing, not in the least interested either. Just that I find it humorous that the usual terms of dismissal normally garnered on any other release which might feature a bit of "amen-mashery", are suddenly absent. It's funny, that's all.

I didn't think it was either Aphex of Pusher when the tracks first surfaced on myspace, still don't now.

Also, I did not, for a moment say that there was no musicality in Steinvord, what I said was..

The one "skill" that they both do have, which no one could hope to acquire, is sounding like Aphex, or sounding like Squarepusher. that's something far more intangible and impossible to accurately deconstruct. That's what leaves me convinced that Steinvord is neither of them, once you strip away the technique from the equation, it does not have that certain something. A hint of "inspired by" but no more.

Meaning... strip away the things which are fairly easy to emulate, techniques and such, and concentrate more on the musical aspects, harmonic interplay, cadence, progression and so on. It doesn't have the same characteristics as either Aphex or Squarepusher. Note that Im not saying "it has no musicality" just that "it has a different sense of musicality"

oh, aaaand I also said:

regardless of how complex the beat programming might get, it's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

Again, not insinuating that there is no inherent musicality in the Steinvord EP. More like in Aphex and pushers stuff, the drums have always been just one part of a far more complicated beast, all the parts interrelating in spectacular ways to create some super awesome hyper wig out. While Steinvord stuff I get the same as I do from a lot of Snares tracks, a melodic foundation with drums playing the lead most of the time. I guess akin to comparing some proper wig out jazz ensemble (EVERYBODY SOLO!!) to a Guitar solo in a rock band or whatever.

Anyway, as i said from the start, this is all subjective. I suppose I should have been more clear with that when I stated "pisses all over this" or whatever.. heh "IMO" are more valuable on this forum than anywhere else on the internet! So yeah, genuinely sorry for that =D But I got a sense that you'd misunderstood what I was trying to say so I just wanted to restate and clarify.

Edited by TechDiff

Hahaha, my god does this forum get funky some times!

Ok, so I guess it's all subjective but some artists who I figure have been more "progressive" with drum programming technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9AvLYRxeqA

Tim Exile, really not his best stuff this album, (genuinely terrible in places) but some pretty awesome drum programming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVq72L2q8I

Xanopitcon, far away one of the most underrated producers. Unfortunately tagged with the breakcore brush of ignore.

Cant find the right track for Beatwife, one called Ritalin (it think) is fooking awesome, dude is super fucking cool and constantly pushing stuff.

I mean fuck, even Venetian Snares or Ricky Devines stuff has moments of sheer "Woah WTF, HOW?!?!?!" in their beat programming and you really don't have to delve far into the breakcore community to find a plethora or people trying all manner of new stuff with hyper beat editing.

This isn't a vague insult in the direction of the "IDM demi godz of Watmm" so no need to get all edgy =D I don't for a moment hold any one of these producers in higher regard than AFX or pusher. ESPECIALLY in terms of musicality, as I said that Exile album was more or less terrible, Xanos stuff hasn't got close to the amount of "feeling" as some of Aphex finest moments. All I said was effectively "Drukqs and Go Plastic came out 10 years ago, people took some of those ideas and really ran with them, far beyond a point which Steinvord is reaching imo"

And also, Im not in the least obsessed with the whole conspiracy thing, not in the least interested either. Just that I find it humorous that the usual terms of dismissal normally garnered on any other release which might feature a bit of "amen-mashery", are suddenly absent. It's funny, that's all.

I didn't think it was either Aphex of Pusher when the tracks first surfaced on myspace, still don't now.

Also, I did not, for a moment say that there was no musicality in Steinvord, what I said was..

The one "skill" that they both do have, which no one could hope to acquire, is sounding like Aphex, or sounding like Squarepusher. that's something far more intangible and impossible to accurately deconstruct. That's what leaves me convinced that Steinvord is neither of them, once you strip away the technique from the equation, it does not have that certain something. A hint of "inspired by" but no more.

Meaning... strip away the things which are fairly easy to emulate, techniques and such, and concentrate more on the musical aspects, harmonic interplay, cadence, progression and so on. It doesn't have the same characteristics as either Aphex or Squarepusher. Note that Im not saying "it has no musicality" just that "it has a different sense of musicality"

oh, aaaand I also said:

regardless of how complex the beat programming might get, it's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

Again, not insinuating that there is no inherent musicality in the Steinvord EP. More like in Aphex and pushers stuff, the drums have always been just one part of a far more complicated beast, all the parts interrelating in spectacular ways to create some super awesome hyper wig out. While Steinvord stuff I get the same as I do from a lot of Snares tracks, a melodic foundation with drums playing the lead most of the time. I guess akin to comparing some proper wig out jazz ensemble (EVERYBODY SOLO!!) to a Guitar solo in a rock band or whatever.

Anyway, as i said from the start, this is all subjective. I suppose I should have been more clear with that when I stated "pisses all over this" or whatever.. heh "IMO" are more valuable on this forum than anywhere else on the internet! So yeah, genuinely sorry for that =D But I got a sense that you'd misunderstood what I was trying to say so I just wanted to restate and clarify.

Thanks!

Yeah vsnares has some impressive stuff but it's all method music in my opinion... Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

Love tim exiles work, listening tree got such bad press but was brilliant I think, same with pro agonist.

xanopticon and richard devine... well I'll keep my comments to myself on that one... :mellow:

Have a good day m8

people who think Rephlex is the end all of inventive beat programming are seriously fucking tunnel visioned out.

i cannot believe that someone who is a professional mastering engineer thinks this, it calls into question Pissflaps claim that he is one.

practically every song on Terminal 11's 'additions to arsenal' has more inventive, original and creative beat programming than anything Steinvord has done

to me inventive means unique and pleasurable, not rehashing the same shit over and over again, even if you are tom Jenkinson or Aphex twin.

Edited by Awepittance

people who think Rephlex is the end all of inventive beat programming are seriously fucking tunnel visioned out.

i cannot believe that someone who is a professional mastering engineer thinks this, it calls into question Pissflaps claim that he is one.

practically every song on Terminal 11's 'additions to arsenal' has more inventive, original and creative beat programming than anything Steinvord has done

to me inventive means unique and pleasurable, not rehashing the same shit over and over again, even if you are tom Jenkinson or Aphex twin.

Mike is the man.

Terminal 11 has some good stuff. my fav track by him is Reluctantly Accepting Temporary Overexhaustion.

Im not saying other artists arent good. but: "probably best yeah, since the work xanopticon does shits all over steinvord"..... I think that's a bit of a stretch.

To each their own I guess.

Can you show me something Xanopticon has done that v-snares or others off the hymen label didn't do 5-10 years before him?

I'm not saying I don't enjoy Xanopticon but the conversation I think is in regards to originality, no?

Edited by StephenG

Yeah so I gave that one a skim and it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Tldr: why so much heated emotions up in this place? mountains out of molehills people, since when did music become some mad competition of people shitting/pissing all over each other to "become the best" etc?

You all need a good rave and some chill time quite frankly

tumblr_lz9c7jeS3b1qzt4vjo1_500.gif

It's like a roomful of people all talking about their psychedelic experiences and then getting beefed when someone else finds something more potent or more enjoyable for them :cerious::watmm::wink:

PS: the Xanopticon track Techdiff posted was pretty dope, I just felt it lingered on far too long in intensity and that it should've ended earlier/carried on a bit too long (but that's just me, I'm sure others think its the perfect amount of time etc).

PPS: Personally I'm looking forward to the next Rephlex releases down the line ;) (amongst other things of course.... just so much music to hear and music to be made its just D: :D!)

Guest rotchnock

Im cool with Techdiff long post, except what I get from the Steinvord tunes is certainly whar artists like devine or venetian snares lack. When i listen to a snares track it's sound too much like he just loaded a shitton of samples and ran them on a grid with a tracker, and Devine is just too much "bleeps and bloops". With Steinvord I get those nice eerie vibes from some drum and bass records while it has all that fucked up drum processing and programming, with the rythm sort of sliding and being fluent and not just super quantized like everyone else out there does. Its kinda hard to explain. Like earing that Exile track and others.. i get too much this sort of "vst plugin" on there constantly throwing effects every bar when with Steinvord I get the feeling whoever did that did it tastefully and manually. This is why at the end of the day I dont really like a lot of music of this style besides when AFX or the Pusher does it. They have great taste and so does Steinvord. I want a big intense sonical assault but feeling it was nicely crafted at the same time. Other guys sound too mechanical and "autechre-ish", or just way too "breakcore". Whatever, hope someone gets what im trying to say.

Im cool with Techdiff long post, except what I get from the Steinvord tunes is certainly whar artists like devine or venetian snares lack. When i listen to a snares track it's sound too much like he just loaded a shitton of samples and ran them on a grid with a tracker, and Devine is just too much "bleeps and bloops". With Steinvord I get those nice eerie vibes from some drum and bass records while it has all that fucked up drum processing and programming, with the rythm sort of sliding and being fluent and not just super quantized like everyone else out there does. Its kinda hard to explain. Like earing that Exile track and others.. i get too much this sort of "vst plugin" on there constantly throwing effects every bar when with Steinvord I get the feeling whoever did that did it tastefully and manually. This is why at the end of the day I dont really like a lot of music of this style besides when AFX or the Pusher does it. They have great taste and so does Steinvord. I want a big intense sonical assault but feeling it was nicely crafted at the same time. Other guys sound too mechanical and "autechre-ish", or just way too "breakcore". Whatever, hope someone gets what im trying to say.

Good post. That is what I was trying to get at RE vsnares when I called it "method music".

I like snares stuff but sometimes each song sounds the same, or at least, too similar.....

Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

:facepalm:

What?

snare rush snare rush snare rush ad infinitum. ("you now have the option of taking heroin" Chaos AD)

I didn't say I don't like it though. I like it enough that I own 95% of his albums, EPS, unreleased materials, and live sets. haha

Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

:facepalm:

What?

snare rush snare rush snare rush ad infinitum. ("you now have the option of taking heroin" Chaos AD)

I didn't say I don't like it though. I like it enough that I own 95% of his albums, EPS, unreleased materials, and live sets. haha

Well if you own everything he has released then I dont really understand what your up to.... You either like it or not unless you're rich and like to spend money on things you think are crappy and unoriginal.

Edited by Kanakori