IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

the charm of this album is the multidimensional world that it represents, that has been built by actress. the music, the back-story, the mythos, the cover art, the name of the album. actress let us into his mind concerning how he was feeling, what he was reading, what he was thinking while constructing rip. the music then conveys these same moods directly, playing out the thoughts, feelings and states of being, the subject matter and it does this very accurately so we feel close to actress, to the experience in an intimate way while listening. you are truly taken into the actress world and apparently a lot of people liked what it was they found there, in this particular, most recent world.

all musicians should take note of artists who do this as part of their creative process. it is not just about the music, it is about the musician, what is divulged and what is secret, what they think, how they feel, what inspired them, but not in any mundane way. the real success comes when one creates a world which the listener is drawn, magnetically pulled into. whether it be fictional or not remains unclear and becomes an additional layer of the experience itself, of the abstraction.

yay wb redruth

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tonight listened to this and Kuopio both for the first time. Both struck me as fairly similar... hazy rhythmic soundscapes and atmospheres.

sasu just completely shits on ANYTHING achieved on this album. did awkward say it should be called attempts? I think that's a more fitting title. If R.I.P is attempts than Kuopio is victories

I listened to this album again for some reason. It's still complete shit.

"It sounds like what would happen if you take an Actress track, sync it out of time and provide it with negative space. That’s the closest Autechre ever come to sounding “now”.

the above is an actual quote from a review site, i shit you not

just got around to listening to this. very underwhelmed. ideas go nowhere. the textures and production are very good, but overall i don't understand why this is getting praised.

• 6 months later...

I don't want to contribute to more Actress hate but I just thought I would add that even my mum doesn't like him. I played her N.E.W. on my headphones and she sat back and listened with folded arms for a few minutes before exclaiming "arré, kahin jata hi nahi hai!" ["jeez, it doesn't even go anywhere"]

truly the elderly are wise and sagacious even in matters of electronic musics.

I hate Actress as much as the next guy, but even i will admit that it goes somewhere, it goes deep.

This has become one of my favorite albums.

Indeed. R.I.P is a gesamtkunstwerk, if you try to approach it otherwise you're doing it wrong - of course it's going to sound fleeting if you try picking away at its constituent parts. I can only surmise that the actress hate stems from all the indie-hipster attention-lavishing, in tandem with the lazy, ubiquitous comparisons of his music with that of he who shall not be named.

Archived