IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Enjoyed the Snowpiercer pilot, the initial scenes of the train leaving reminded me of the movie Noah.  Interested to see all of the social class exploration, and expanded back story.

Just finished season 2 of Walking Dead

60% excellent, 40% dull and boring

My mate reckons Season 3 and 4 are worth a go and then it's time to quit, so that's the plan. He quit at 7.

Parts Unknown is up on Netflix June 1st ?

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 1

I jumped ship after season 3, kept at it even though I thought season 2 was a pretty intolerable waste of time. I cry for the people who stuck with it. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, beer badger said:

What does watmm think of The Walking Dead?

I watched the first season when it first came out (it must of been on Channel 4 or 5 and then they lost the rights to broadcast it) and loved it. Thinking of giving this a spin. Seems a lot of seasons though.

bit like heroin. the first few hits are grand, but then it's a slog to the inevitable end. you stick with it though, cause that's what junk does to your inhibition control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beer badger said:

My mate reckons Season 3 and 4 are worth a go and then it's time to quit, so that's the plan. He quit at 7.

S1E1 was the pinnacle of the walking dead, became a long slodge by the end of season 3. it's been so long since I watched this, can't even remember if season 3 was good. I stopped around the time season 4 came back from its mid-season hiatus, just lost interest really. IMO those mid season 2-3 month long breaks shows sometimes do really deflate the hype.

• Like 3

Agree the S1E1 might be the best episode. I quite liked the mysterious hooded character with the 2 swords and 2 armless zombies on chains who turns up in the woods at the end of Season 2.

There are moments of this program which are really cool, like the quaint but spooky white church with the three dead inside, or the zombie walking alone through the golden cornfield while they are driving past. There is way too much filler imo, which dilutes the impact of the show. 

Edited by beer badger

1 hour ago, beer badger said:

Agree the S1E1 might be the best episode. I quite liked the mysterious hooded character with the 2 swords and 2 armless zombies on chains who turns up in the woods at the end of Season 2.

There are moments of this program which are really cool, like the quaint but spooky white church with the three dead inside, or the zombie walking alone through the golden cornfield while they are driving past. There is way too much filler imo, which dilutes the impact of the show. 

Just read the comic. It's so much scarier and adrenaline inducing than this show. The comic may be the best zombie related thing ever. Total gnarboots. 

Yeah, the first episode is basically a bait and switch. 

Edited by Candiru

On 5/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, zero said:

S1E1 was the pinnacle of the walking dead, became a long slodge by the end of season 3. it's been so long since I watched this, can't even remember if season 3 was good. I stopped around the time season 4 came back from its mid-season hiatus, just lost interest really. IMO those mid season 2-3 month long breaks shows sometimes do really deflate the hype.

Gonna pile on here and say that yeah S1E1 is the only episode actually worth watching. It's basically just a Darabont zombie movie, and the abrupt plummet in quality in episode 2 is fucking hilarious. 

• Like 1

Huh, I really liked S02 of The Walking Dead, thought it was one of the better S02's of my life actually. I liked the closed setting and that old duder. And the thing with the little girl. You know.

That whole season helped me to get my girl on board who usually won't touch anything remotely horror-related with a twenty-foot pole. Watched it once and then once more with her. It's wholesome fun for all the family.

better call saul s05 - 'twas ok... honestly, i have a hard time following all those schemes and cons so probably i missed half the fun of it, i kind of understand the main goal but the little details went right over my head... i also felt lost cause this show's been dragging over the last 5 years so, i can't even remember what happened in the previous seasons... it was worth watching at least for the guy who plays Lalo Salamanca, great performance... oh and also because of Hank, shame it was just one episode...

edit: oh and CCAI easter egg

Edited by Tim_J

On 5/16/2020 at 8:35 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Finished Devs. I was into it until the last few episodes, then it just started getting annoying. Overall, it was ok. 

Finished it 2 days ago, and I'm with you.

Spoiler

Very lackluster finish. ?

• Burger 1

On 4/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, azatoth said:

just started david simon's new series the plot against america. an alt history show about a jewish family in a america where a nazi sympathizing  charles lindbergh becomes the US president.

I just got back from Israel-Palestine thread that has about a good of a chance of surviving as the peace agreements themselves and it reminded me to follow up with that this show was really good. I appreciated the tight, 6 episode pacing and it gave me a lot to think about.

I know it was completely engineered to do this but I still can't get over that little Seldon. The casting alone made you start feeling for the poor feller. Then, icing his Dad and torching his mom while Bess tells him to go make some Rice Krispies....Jesus 

?

Having him not say another line for the remainder of the show after he got scooped up out of Kentucky was powerful. The kid was over it before it even began for him.

1 hour ago, xxx said:

I just got back from Israel-Palestine thread that has about a good of a chance of surviving as the peace agreements themselves and it reminded me to follow up with that this show was really good. I appreciated the tight, 6 episode pacing and it gave me a lot to think about.

Hide contents

I know it was completely engineered to do this but I still can't get over that little Seldon. The casting alone made you start feeling for the poor feller. Then, icing his Dad and torching his mom while Bess tells him to go make some Rice Krispies....Jesus 

?

Having him not say another line for the remainder of the show after he got scooped up out of Kentucky was powerful. The kid was over it before it even began for him.

The accompanying podcast with David Simon is outstanding

• Thanks 1

Just watched episode 1 of The Last Dance, great docu indeed.

Bringing back great memories of being in school and idolising The Bulls... basically in the UK B-Ball was pretty big at the time, we used to be able to see some key highlights on a Sunday morning on Channel 4, with the occasional full game on late night tv that you could set the VHS for and watch back the next day! There was also a weekly basketball newspaper, Slam Dunk... wish I still had a few of those.

Yeah, me too, just watched the first three episodes back to back. I'm not into sports at all, and unfortunately I live in a country where fucking soccer is considered the national sport, but basketball is the only sport I ever found exciting to watch. In any case, I know excellence when I see it, and man, that Michael Jordan could play ball. So yeah, enjoying this and giong to continue watching it.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, chenGOD said:

bit like heroin. the first few hits are grand, but then it's a slog to the inevitable end. you stick with it though, cause that's what junk does to your inhibition control.

nah heroin is misunderstood, it's just more-ish while the Walking Dead is cultural & existential oblivion

I didn't realise basketball was so aggressive. All of those games seem really explosive and exciting, as well as the crowds and the atmosphere.

I have one more episode to go and to be honest I could quite happily just go and rewatch it again straight away.

I've just signed up with Amazon prime (that's how I'm watching Walking Dead) and noticed there were some bits and pieces of Anthony Bourdain shows, so in anticipation of the whole of Parts Unknown returning to Netflix I watched a few episodes of The Layover, which was before PU. I'll never understand how this dude killed himself.

Edited by beer badger