IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

2nd season of legion starts today...

And I loved it. Sadly, I think Noah wants this show canceled though.

i couldn't follow it, stopped halfway, need to get back to it... it's pretty normal that they want to cancel it since this show is an artsy fest... Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

2nd season of legion starts today...

And I loved it. Sadly, I think Noah wants this show canceled though.

About halfway through the episode I actually said it out loud, "this shit's getting cancelled".

edit - it's quality though

Edited by doublename

i couldn't follow it, stopped halfway, need to get back to it...

I cannot argue this. But, even in it's wtf-ness, I'm fully in. I got faith in Mr. Hawley that he will tie it up in an understandable narrative. The production elements are ace, love the soundtrack & sound design. This show blends so many different genre elements, I can't help but be entertained by the confusion.

About halfway through the episode I actually said it out loud, "this shit's getting cancelled".

lol yes. I'd love for F/X to see it through. As I stated above, I hope Hawley ties things together and not just have us fall further into this rabbit hole of narrative madness.

Edited by olo

awesome. Was that Julian Barrett (mighty boosh) in the trailer?

yes it is, not just in the trailer, he's been there since s01... :)

i did too lol or at least i thought it... Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

i couldn't follow it, stopped halfway, need to get back to it...

I cannot argue this. But, even in it's wtf-ness, I'm fully in. I got faith in Mr. Hawley that he will tie it up in an understandable narrative. The production elements are ace, love the soundtrack & sound design. This show blends so many different genre elements, I can't help but be entertained by the confusion.

just re-watched the entire s01 and now everything makes sense, most mindfuckery derives from the way it is edited after all... which is kind of disappointing...

furthermore, that whole scene on ep7, in David's childhood room, where they interfere with their physical bodies with their minds, who are trapped in Farouk's astral projection, doesn't really make any sense, i mean, you have to set your suspension of disbelief level way down to get past through it without continuously facepalming... it seemed to me the writers didn't put enough effort in such an important scene... :(

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

the terror really lived up to its potential, despite the big cg bear running around. it is bleak as fuck. i'll always have soft spot for this genre of horror/adventure so take my opinion with a grain of salt but this series is extremely well made. actually wish it was a bit longer to flesh out the characters more. great soundtrack as well. no desire to read the book.

(i spoiler things)

this thing exactly bothered me a lot, it felt way more succinct than it should have been, many scenes had a summary like quality of what was supposed to be fleshed out, and not just the characters. for example that long haul on the ground somehow didn't even feel arduous. i understand that it's very repetitive and dull, but they still should have spent some more time with it to get the feel right. i liked its quality of constantly suppressing the urge to over dramatize and over punctuate shit (aside from the predictable beast attack/hickey escape from the execution), this flow of hopeless brutalism and the very linear total disintegration in the last episodes was quite something. some of the production wasn't that great though, the movement of the beast was quite phony in the climatic scene, and back on ice the open environments often looked very studio like, like something was off with the lighting, took me out of it quite a few times. despite the problems, overall it's a very solidly produced and commendable series, mostly independent from the tropes and has its own vision and feel.

Edited by eugene

Did anyone finish Brittania? Four episodes in and I'm not sure I can be arsed anymore, think I was hoping for more pagan weirdness but understandably they need to rein such things in for a mainstream big budget show.

actually wish it was a bit longer to flesh out the characters more. great soundtrack as well. no desire to read the book.

This is where the novel succeeds. There are several other characters that have more prominent roles, but have barely been touched. They're kinda hamstrung with a 10 part series. You just can't touch on many other characters. They're focusing on the main ones at this point.

(i spoiler things)

this thing exactly bothered me a lot, it felt way more succinct than it should have been, many scenes had a summary like quality of what was supposed to be fleshed out, and not just the characters. for example that long haul on the ground somehow didn't even feel arduous. i understand that it's very repetitive and dull, but they still should have spent some more time with it to get the feel right.some of the production wasn't that great though, the movement of the beast was quite phony in the climatic scene, and back on ice the open environments often looked very studio like, like something was off with the lighting, took me out of it quite a few times.

In the novel, things take quite a bit more time & yes, are more arduous. I agree with the open ice environments, especially at night. Definitely has the production stage feel. I'll give props to the use of northern lights though. I also liked the look of the sun just skimming the horizon in one scene. Such foreboding. I'm hoping they give better treatment to "the bear",I was expecting more from it at this point... hopefully when it storms the ship.

Edited by olo

the bear is pretty underwhelming but by the end the atmosphere of the show was the main draw for me. I found the final two episodes surprisingly engaging and kind of moving, despite how underdeveloped the characters often were. I think that’s a testament to th direction and acting but maybe not the writing. show could have easily been two seasons, one before the ship is abandoned and one after.

Did anyone finish Brittania? Four episodes in and I'm not sure I can be arsed anymore, think I was hoping for more pagan weirdness but understandably they need to rein such things in for a mainstream big budget show.

Finished & no, it marketed itself on the pagan influence more than it realized & working in archaeology i had to watch it

loads of potential, didnt deliver, kinda fun if you like disposable wank & dont expect too much

i wish there was a score for the terror somewhere online. only thing i could find was this album by the composer, who apparently died. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNvmhLenYE

and it seems like there's bits of the score in this, or very similar sounding tracks

Edited by zaphod

Finished Wild Wild County - lot more twists than I could have ever expected, bit anticlimactic but glad it wasn't another Waco or Jonestown. Of all the antiheroes and villains I actually found myself least emphatic with Osho himself. Sheela was machiavellian as fuck, Niren delusionally loyal but there's this self-awareness they have that I can respect. When it comes to Osho it just seemed like he was talking a lot but not saying anything. His aura seemed pinned on his narcissist charisma. Granted I'm not well versed in his writings but I just get a Chicken Soup For The Soul: New Age & Eastern Mysticism vibe from it.

Not to mention it's a classic cash cow religious movement. I lol'd when they should the Young Life camp montage and how similar it looked like the Rajneeshpuram clips from earlier.

Edited by joshuatx

Ran through season 1 of Legion - good stuff, pretty much exactly the way to get me to watch a superhero show these days. More silent film-style fight scenes and random dance number interludes please. Also Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement were both excellent. No season 2 episodes on Hulu yet, damn you FX.

The Expanse - yeah this show is still watchably mediocre. I wish the opening credits sequence was in every episode because it's the best part. At least it's getting a sense of humor now.

Lost in Space (Netflix) - barely made through one episode. I've heard the first 3 are basically filler until the actual plot starts but I don't know if I want to sit around for 2 hours watching nothing happen to get there. 

Finished & no, it marketed itself on the pagan influence more than it realized & working in archaeology i had to watch it

loads of potential, didnt deliver, kinda fun if you like disposable wank & dont expect too much

Thanks, might give it a miss then. I found Jerusalem from the screenwriter in a charity shop which got rave reviews so will give that a read instead. If it's not much cop then maybe his stuff isn't for me.

it tried to be the Roman invasion done as an Apocalypse Now type psychedelic trip

there are dreadlocks & the Druids are new-age travelers with a penchant for over-acting, that cunt from the Walking Dread shouts a lot as the Roman commander, there's a good character called THE Outcast who's an ovate/seer & pulls a few divination moves that are well done, everyone's on drugs & it captures that in flickers, its just loose n the titles w/Hurdy Gurdy Man is the best bit

wanted to rate it for you, but Time Team has better jumpers

Re watching True Detective Season 1. I hadn't seen it since it aired.

Had to go back after stumbling on this and laughing.

(MILD SPOILERS)

Edited by colunga

I feel like Legion is the ae of tv shows. I tried to watch season 2 but haven't gotten started yet, I really like s1. My impression from s1 was that it would be hailed as some kind of masterpiece down the line, just due to the sheer amount of abstract representations of both common and uncommon experiences and ideas on display. But as such, it's incredibly draining to watch. If I'm not paying attention and not thinking about it actively there's no point in watching it, and I've not been in the mood lately.

So I've been watching more braindead stuff like Ransom and The Crossing. Also watched The Terror which was awesome (not braindead).

getting hung up on the bear design is ridiculous.

That cg was shit. And the creature design is wrong. The head was terrible.

The show is fine, but they completely changed Lady Silence. I suppose they had to, due to being 10 episodes. Too many characters, not enough time...

She's much more ominous/mystical in the book. It's Dan Simmons, I get it...this is one of those cases where the book is better. (so far)

Spoiler about the bear

it ain't a bear.

Edited by olo