IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

p16594935_b_v8_aaiqj50.jpg

disliked this a lot. basically it's just a mix of motion capture toons with either some big orc like creature yelling, some guy cursing, a little robot or whatever moving around and sex cyborg chicks walking around trying to calm the dude yelling. 

it also has a stupid title so maybe that should have been a hint

aw c'mon some scripts were pretty lame and most of the twists u could see them coming miles away but most of the animation styles were pretty great...

Yeah, I don't care, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Now watching Season 2 of The OA.

After the 3rd episode, I think I'm going to binge the last 5 hours before going to bed tonight.

I also read that they had 5 seasons written and fleshed out before starting the filming on the first season.

Brit Marling is a... beautiful story teller. Amazing writer. And she has a way of delivering dialogue that completely keeps me locked in. Really hoping Netflix doesn't cancel this before the whole story in her head is revealed.

Ugh, OA.

I figured this was the result of some kind of Netflix AI bot gone wrong. I imagined that it was analysing user viewing behaviours then put together a script to cater towards its target user base, but the data was corrupted due to multiple people using the same accounts. Culmination in an interpretive dance to save the day? No thanks.

... for me, it's more what the story being told represents. And it's told in a very immersive way.

Yes, I did think it was cheesy as fuck when I was watching the first season... but then I was inexplicably drawn into it during the last half of the first season, and then let it bounce around in my head for a few months before rewatching it....

after that first rewatch, I was driven to try and check out everything that Brit Marling had been a part of.

Cheesy? Yes. Convoluted? Incredibly. Eye-rollingly ridiculous. Most definitely.

But....

Well written.

Decent character development.

Wonderfully acted.

The directors did a great job with the visual story telling...

And.... cheesy or not... it's a very imaginative idea put forward in a fairly interesting and different way.

Personally, I think this kind of thinking is something visual media needs more of, especially when it comes to story/plot/dialogue driven stories.

Edited by Hk47

No worries. Everything can't be for everyone, and I'm not offended at all that there's people who haven't enjoyed it, are not even slightly interested in watching it or spending the time trying to get into it. And it's always good having differing opinions, especially on a forum (even more so when the topic is inconsequential and any disagreements can be resolved with a simple 'we don't agree, and that's okay').

=D

I'm definitely no fan of dance, especially interpretive dance (I mean, I understand wanting a physical exertion exercise to convey or release emotions, but I loose the understanding of it when it goes beyond exercise in solitude)... however:;: the idea that certain movements could lead to something that's focused on transcendental existentialism is something I've frequently found myself pondering while going on walks or laying in bed unable to sleep at night.

It's even more impressive to me that the creator/writers were able to cohesivly build a world/worlds around this idea. That and, again, Brit Marling seems like she was just... born to tell stories.

<shrug>

2 episodes into Dragon Pilot. I don't watch much anime (mostly cause it's hard to find stuff I like) but this is lovely so far. Animation is both unique and skillful, dialog is actually funny and relatable, I actually give a shit about the characters so far, and the premise, if a bit silly, is fun and seems like a good vehicle for the nascent themes. It's got heart, but it's nimble. Hopefully it keeps up because, a few standard anime tropes aside, it seems like a real gem.

She's the female Neil Breen.

I'll take Breen over her every time.

Never heard of him, guess I need too, huh?

Anyone used in the same sentence as or brought up after referencing Marling has to be worth checking out.

=P

Thanks for the mention.

2 episodes into Dragon Pilot. I don't watch much anime (mostly cause it's hard to find stuff I like) but this is lovely so far. Animation is both unique and skillful, dialog is actually funny and relatable, I actually give a shit about the characters so far, and the premise, if a bit silly, is fun and seems like a good vehicle for the nascent themes. It's got heart, but it's nimble. Hopefully it keeps up because, a few standard anime tropes aside, it seems like a real gem.

come!

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/44625-looking-for-new-anime-recommendations/

+1 to pretty much everything Hk47 said. I was a tad puzzled / conflicted when I watched the 1st season, but watching s01&02 in a row was much better.

Agreed the dance part was a bit cringeworthy at first but now I don’t mind, I appreciate how at times some characters seem aware of how absurd / ridiculous it can be.

Really liked s02 a lot, much better than the 1st one (which I quite enjoyed though, but not half as much). The show definitely has its flaws, but still. Glad to read 5 seasons are planned, curious to see where the story goes.

Episodes - Surprisingly good dry-comedy drama series about 2 writers trying to make a tv-show in Hollywood. Stars Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig from the absolutely brilliant comedy show Green Wing, and Matt LeBlanc from Friends. Liked it. 

Shameless - Drama-Comedy about a family living and coping with poverty and daily life. It's ok, but there are very few funny moments, character development is weird, story has lots of plot holes,... I like the concept though, and some of the actors are good. Not getting any better by the season. I think some people like it because of the shock value, and/or connectivity to the characters? Dunno. I think I would like it betters as a more realistic in-depth drama / commentary. 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Comedy about a police department. It's ok. Meh. The humor is not my cup of tea at all. Don't like the Jake Peralta character. So that doesn't help. Reminded me a bit of The Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson. 

Friends - Was fun to watch it again after all the years. It's ok. Addictive. 

Parks and Recreation - Comedy about the daily happenings in the department of Parks and Recreation in a small town. Love it. Great dry absurd awkward humor. Very welcoming and warm. Good dialogue. Amy Poehler / Leslie Knope is really good in this. One of our new favorite shows. 

House of Cards - Just started watching. Seems interesting so far. 

Temptation Island - Reality tv in which 4 couples are separated and then dropped on an exotic island with singles... to test their relationship? I don't know why, but I like watching this, well, the series from Belgium-Netherlands that is. A guilty pleasure. 

Doctor Who - Adventure series. My gf liked the seasons with David Tennant as the doctor. But the whole Doctor Who thing is not for me though. I feel it has too many plot-holes and dumb stuff going on. Guess it's more for young adults.

Edited by MaartenVC

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Comedy about a police department. It's ok. Meh. The humor is not my cup of tea at all. Don't like the Jake Peralta character. So that doesn't help. Reminded me a bit of The Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson.

Hulu keeps recommending this to me and I can't even look at its little poster picture without getting irritated. If it was a person I would have a strong urge to punch it in the face or kick or in the groin.

The Disappearence of Madeline McCann - 9/10 

I was a bit sceptical how 8 episodes of this was going to be interesting, in the end I was gutted when it finished because I found it fascinating. Netflix did a great job on this. Critics have torn it to shreds and complained it reveals nothing new, but if like me your knowledge was very minimal on the subject then its a great watch.

Colosio on netflix was really good, it tells the story of PRI 1994 presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio's assassination. Eight episodes, Spanish language.

I watched that too - pretty messed up, and I was impressed how close the actors were to their real-life counterparts. Well made.

Watched the new Twilight Zone episode (free on YouTube) "The Comedian". Was okay, but waaaay too long. Looking forward to the other episode once it's done downloading.

Watched the new Twilight Zone episode (free on YouTube) "The Comedian". Was okay, but waaaay too long. Looking forward to the other episode once it's done downloading.

watched this as well. besides being too long, it looks too clean. also the story wasn't haunting- which was a big thing about how twilight zone episodes left you feeling, and instead was just an hour long ripoff this story minus the okona.

also, i hate how jordan peele is basically imitating rod serling minus the cigarette. the whole thing seems disingenuous and almost like a parody of what it's supposed to be remaking

watched this as well. besides being too long, it looks too clean. also the story wasn't haunting- which was a big thing about how twilight zone episodes left you feeling, and instead was just an hour long ripoff this story minus the okona.

also, i hate how jordan peele is basically imitating rod serling minus the cigarette. the whole thing seems disingenuous and almost like a parody of what it's supposed to be remaking

I think we should be happy that we're getting a new Twilight Zone at all. Judging it from the first episode which is, I think, made to introduce people to the concept of The Twilight Zone is a bit much.

Nothing at the moment but I finished True Detective season 3 fairly recently. Really, really good. Solid acting by Ali and Dorff. They were amazing.