IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

The Night Manager - I mean it's definitely a higher quality of spy-jinks than Homeland, but it's still pretty poor. David Harewood us a deece actor afaik, but his American accent is dire.

Edited by doublename

Mr. Robot - I still can't decide whether I like it. Sometimes it seems like it's just trying way too hard to be edgy. Also wtf was with that "Full House" episode? That was real shark jump material. At least the computer shit is fairly accurate (which honestly idgaf about unless it's hilariously off), even though they'll have like a real tense scene and the character driving it is... encoding a video w/ ffmpeg. Thrilling. Trenton is the most interesting character by a long shot. I would like to see more of her than the adolescent drama queens this show is full of (Elliott, Darlene, Angela, Mobley...)

Halt and Catch Fire - I like this one. 80s vibes aren't nearly as thick as Stranger Things which gives it room to develop characters. It does seem like the cast is maybe a little too big right now and they're trying to figure out what to do with e.g. that Ryan dude.

the ffmpeg thing - thought it was funny, because later Dom I think also used ffmpeg to split the video into frames.. not sure why she did that but it was like they and her used the same tools... kind of like as you would see both the bad & the good guys drink coffee or something: oh shit coffee! We are all just people! Only with ffmpeg :)

I love that the series can be so subtle about these things... but yeah sometimes it's not subtle at all and that's where sometimes it's the cringe...

also, I really like that it's focusing on the women right now. They're all being badass and weird and pretty cool

the ffmpeg thing - thought it was funny, because later Dom I think also used ffmpeg to split the video into frames.. not sure why she did that but it was like they and her used the same tools... kind of like as you would see both the bad & the good guys drink coffee or something: oh shit coffee! We are all just people! Only with ffmpeg :)

Haha, good point, I noticed that too but I didn't think about the fact that they're both using the same tools even though they're basically enemies. Kind of cool. As far as why she was doing that, I was guessing she was going to get some stills for forensic analysis - maybe they will break from their dedication to accuracy and have an "ENHANCE!" scene.

Serious question - what makes Trenton interesting? Other than being named after a place in Elliot's home state?

only watched the first episode... does it get better, or worse?

also holy shit, Mr Robot. that last ep was pretty fantastic,

I'd say it gets worse. The show is just loaded with really dull characters and tired espionage cliche's. 

Edited by doublename

I love that the series can be so subtle about these things... but yeah sometimes it's not subtle at all and that's where sometimes it's the cringe...

also, I really like that it's focusing on the women right now. They're all being badass and weird and pretty cool

Yeah, exactly. Every time they say "f society" I'm like omg this show is for 13-year-olds. Or when Elliott said "evil corp". And yeah other times it's got the level of subtlety of, like House of Cards. It's just wildly inconsistent which sometimes makes it interesting, even dreamlike. And other times that's just annoying.

Yes, I want to see more of the ladies, especially Trenton. She's still kind of an enigma even though they've been revealing more detail about her lately. Like she hacks "for her family", what does that even mean?

Serious question - what makes Trenton interesting? Other than being named after a place in Elliot's home state?

The rest the crew are pretty stereotypical scruffy nerd types that seem mostly driven by their craving for validation but she's much more quiet and conservative so it's not obvious why she's working with them.

The conversation about iPhones was kind of funny but I was surprised they made Mobley look so dumb. Everyone makes mistakes I guess.

The rest the crew are pretty stereotypical scruffy nerd types that seem mostly driven by their craving for validation but she's much more quiet and conservative so it's not obvious why she's working with them.

The conversation about iPhones was kind of funny but I was surprised they made Mobley look so dumb. Everyone makes mistakes I guess.

Okay, I guess she's always seemed a bit underdeveloped to me.

Re: mobley - I swear there's an almost identical neckbeard underestimates grill scene in Hackers too. 

I get what you guys are saying about the female characters, but I wish they would spend more time with Joanna. I need a break from Darlene and f society.

Edited by doublename

I get what you guys are saying about the female characters, but I wish they would spend more time with Joanna. I need a break from Darlene and f society.

Hmm, I forgot all about Joanna. I feel like she and her husband are only in the show to stir xenophobia toward Scandinavians. To what end, I do not know. A Darlene vacation would be great though, yeah. She has enough teen angst for the entire show and it just spills into all the scenes.

yeh, Darlene has probably murdered two people (the swing of that bat at least seemed lethal...?) ... there ought to be major consequences

Yeah, exactly. Every time they say "f society" I'm like omg this show is for 13-year-olds. Or when Elliott said "evil corp". And yeah other times it's got the level of subtlety of, like House of Cards. It's just wildly inconsistent which sometimes makes it interesting, even dreamlike. And other times that's just annoying.

Yes, I want to see more of the ladies, especially Trenton. She's still kind of an enigma even though they've been revealing more detail about her lately. Like she hacks "for her family", what does that even mean?

I feel the same about the show - I keep watching and enjoying it but I feel like it could be a lot better if it didn't try so hard to be cool and meta, it kinda feels like the show is winking at its audience too much.

It really succeeds stylistically though, the music and the look and feel of the show is always spot on and makes it reliably entertaining even when I start losing interest in the plot. And yeah the hacking is pretty fuckin fun to watch, it's cool to see a show really dramatize command prompts

I think she talked about it in season one, her parents are in massive debt, so she wants to wipe out all debt.

I'm genuinely shocked by how big a deal they were this year. 

edit:

I don't know about anyone else, but I was p satisfied with the ending of The Night Of.

Edited by doublename

thought it was ok good. better than ok, but not as good as the series had put upon itself by starting off on a high note. thought the "lets get him" thing was kinda unconvincing...

Edited by Guest

yeah, they definitely overcooked the last 20-30 minutes, felt kinda like the lord of the rings finale. they got into this mode where they wanted to tie quite a few (not-really-loose) ends that didn't really need that as the vectors of their development were already pretty well established. we knew that naz got pretty fucked in the prison, that his relationship with the mother too was a wreck. there were enough clues given that he will be stigmatized in his community. we knew that the prosecutor accepted the idea that that other guy is quite possibly the killer, so hamming it up with "let's get him" was over the top. the cat thing too was just saccharine and needless. i knew that this episode was longer but kinda lost the track of time because the first hour was very good and tense and i fully expected the show to cut to black after that brutal rikers' gate is opened in front of naz, but they kept piing on and on for another 20 mins..

Edited by eugene

the last The Night Of was excellent, the whole thing, great finish to a good series. only quibble was that I lolled at the dog/cat charity ad, which they kind of ruined by showing the cat afterwards.