IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

wire seems amazing at first but you'll quickly realize it's average and hacky tv writing. lots of "getting the team back together" ploys and loads of pretty average television actors all over the script.

Looking forward to trip to Spain

i'm on s01e06 so far, i agree about the acting, but writing wise it seems consistently good. i really like and respect this very dense, well detailed, wide-scope view of the whole process, both on the police and the street levels. you really get a sense of how this whole network works and it's very immersive.

Edited by eugene

Started watching shameless (US). Pretty deece so far.

i like emmy rossum's hot JAP-y body. that's about it

Yeah she's a smokeshow. So far the show is decent though, nice mixture of stupid shit with a tiny bit of drama mixed in. I don't watch much, TV or movies, so generally gravitate to shows that are kind of... I don't know, shallow or where I don't need to pay too much attention or whatever.

Yeah she's a smokeshow. So far the show is decent though, nice mixture of stupid shit with a tiny bit of drama mixed in. I don't watch much, TV or movies, so generally gravitate to shows that are kind of... I don't know, shallow or where I don't need to pay too much attention or whatever.

It stays surprisingly fresh after 7 seasons, Frank is kinda like Homer Simpson; always onto some new scheme or spontaneous revelation. Fiona really is the anchor, but watching all the kids grow up is rewarding too.

Gomorra: Season 1

It started kind of naive but really became grimy as f around the sixth episode. I like it very much, even though it really is a sobering view on the ruthlessness of Italian Camorra. I'm from Slovenia, close to Italy and acquaintance of mine was in Sicily a few years ago. Mafia came and shot down the whole bar (where he was drinking) just to kill one guy. My acquaintance lived but by pure luck and of course didn't tell anything to police (even though he really didn't see anything). This kind of no-mercy-no-bullshit vibe is very apparent in Gomorra. Can't wait to watch the second season.

It stays surprisingly fresh after 7 seasons, Frank is kinda like Homer Simpson; always onto some new scheme or spontaneous revelation. Fiona really is the anchor, but watching all the kids grow up is rewarding too.

the UK original took some beating, never sure the US re-make got at the heart of the thing, ie our culture of anti-aspiration and Frank was a northern English genius distilled:

shameless2.jpg

First episode of Handmaid's Tale was aight. I'll probably watch the rest. Was actually pretty impressed by Alexis Bledel, further evidence that Rory was just super poorly written in later seasons of Gilmore Girls.

Not sure I understand the "unsubtle" criticisms... Orwell wasn't very subtle either, and this seems like a more gender-specific 1984.

Also nice to see Samira Wiley again.

the UK original took some beating, never sure the US re-make got at the heart of the thing, ie our culture of anti-aspiration and Frank was a northern English genius distilled:

shameless2.jpg

It takes the same parable, but addresses more American centric issues like the deterioration of the Midwest metropolis, i.e. Detroit, South side of Chicago, poorer blue collar families of all races, drug culture, pc sjw culture and Millennials, and the deterioration of the American nuclear family in general. Throw in black comedy and excellent performances, and it's been successful. Steve / Jimmy was really the only boneheaded wrong direction they took IMO.

the wire binge emergency update - it begins to feel like quite a lot of it is HBOdized for entertainment value at the cost of rawness and realism. some of the characters are just way too colorful to seem real, omar is just ridiculous, d'angelo's moral ruminations are kind of over the top, ziggy and the foreign baddies in s02 too. i was actually surprised to see that the corner mini-series was also simon's, i watched it a while ago but i remember that it didn't feel like it cut corners and shape characters to make things more entertaining and dramatic but kept it raw. i do love this lifelike portrayal of the city and the struggle of the people™ in general even more in s02 with the addition of that whole port thing. those ugly working port dudes who hit beer with eggs in the mornings in the grey, industrial, cold and decaying baltimore, struggling to get work against their inevitable loss to capitalism...mmmm so good.

season 2 was the best but I just couldn't stand the hammy tv writerly way the cop crew was assembled again "for one more mission". Would never happen. Omar is the worst part of the show. and flol at David Simon thinking he's an expert in black lesbian relationships. all of that stuff just feels so "TV" which is fine, except the show is lauded at the most realistic thing ever put to camera blah blah. it also has none of the visual and technical nous of the sopranos. Nick sobotkas girlfriend's rack was inspired casting

Another vote for season 4 (and 3). Season 2 was the hardest to get through for me.

Starting watching Archer Dreamland. Was skeptical about them bringing this back, but first episode had a couple good laughs.

Great episode of Fargo, maybe one of the best yet, you can't go wrong with 70s sci fi.  I thought the diner in LA might be Johnie's (now Bernie's) on Wilshire Blvd, that was used in many movies including Big Lebowski, Resevoir Dogs, and Miracle Mile, but it's slightly different in layout and upholstery.  Did the motel look similar to the one from the shootout in Season 2?  Also loved the aliens / flying saucer, seemed like a callback again to Season 2.  It's good they've gone back to the "comedy of errors" formula for this season, as that served the original Fargo movie well, and several of the Cohen's past films.

Great episode of Fargo, maybe one of the best yet, you can't go wrong with 70s sci fi.  I thought the diner in LA might be Johnie's (now Bernie's) on Wilshire Blvd, that was used in many movies including Big Lebowski, Resevoir Dogs, and Miracle Mile, but it's slightly different in layout and upholstery.  Did the motel look similar to the one from the shootout in Season 2?  Also loved the aliens / flying saucer, seemed like a callback again to Season 2.  It's good they've gone back to the "comedy of errors" formula for this season, as that served the original Fargo movie well, and several of the Cohen's past films.

Man, still not feeling. Like I've said, it's well done and all, I like the way they interlaced the story between past & present & themes of fate...but, it's just meh for me. Nothing has grabbed me like season 1 or 2. 

Where the hell do you get that "open & close" box?

Starting to go through the new MST3K on Netflix. I'm very much enjoying it so far. Having the new characters and voices was a bit off-putting at first, but I warmed up to it. It seems like the pace is faster with a lot more jokes crammed in.

The Handmaid's Tale & the Supervet

first has started well & seeing folks drop thousands on their pets is a mix of sentimental surrealism

liking the latter might be the first sign of dementia, considering, oh dear

coen

Horizon, possibly the BBC's last vestige of nuanced programming along with Panorama, although the latter is fading fast

Lost Tribes of Humanity gave an updated appraisal of human origins, of all the other hominid varietals that have lived during the time of our own species. Puts all the pieces in an understandable chronological jigsaw. A strong Fast Show jazz-club "noice"/10

Why Did i Go Mad? A stunning, stark exploration of abuse, psychosis, schizophrenia, art coping mechanisms & new non-pharmacological therapies. Sometimes the strength of the human spirit takes your breath away & could not recommend watching this Horizon episode highly enough. Words fail/10