IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

rick and morty - i watched one episode and it's pretty close to unwatchable. doesn't look good, voice acting bad, jokes that i don't care about (cartoon marriage on the ropes etc). everyone and their spectrum brother seems to rave about this one (often a bad sign) and my fears were confirmed. it's probably one "you just have to get into" but I'm not going to do that when rewatching space ghost is better than most television. especially "indie" TV. or oh my god that new hulu category of "edgy animation" chinesus clist that's stupid.

why do you guys like rick and morty? i found the burping really hard to deal with.

anyway catastrophe season 3 was funny. maybe not quite as funny as the last two but the chemistry between the two leads is great. it buoys the entire show. also that i find sharon horgan v v attractive. that buoys my penis.

Did we talk about the finale of girls yet??? It was quite an interesting way to end the series even though I did not enjoy watching it at all. I had expected (and weirdly wanted) a perfect, charming epilogue / wrapping up ala the end of harry potter. Instead everyone's life is completely ruined for the future. depressing!!

Edited by dr lopez

I like it because I have a wide variety of spectrum disorders. =) ​I mean, it's a good show?

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

i will also say that I have a weird personal dislike of chris parnell, which doesn't help rick and morty. I find his voice really grating (like in those progressive animated box ads) and generally unfunny. I understand that dr. spaceman was a beloved character on 30 rock but he was actually my least favorite character (apart from kenneth). now that i think about it, it must be because I hate their voices. 

i refuse to allow rick and morty into my life and frankly i'm worried that lopez may have contracted autism after watching an episode. we'll see in future posts but the prognosis is not good.

i'd go with the crowd and also say  that s04 overall was the best. maybe just because the topic of school fucked-upedness itself hits closer than others covered. the kids did a really good job (kinda wary of googling them further in order not to be burned just like with snoop who was an actual murderer, lol/wtf) plus the interlocking mayoral race was also very well done and engaging. i think maybe simon is more of an ethnographer at heart, i felt more educated and impressed with the depth, the thoroughness, his interest in ties between the systems that he covers and the overall quality of their portrayal rather than by the artistic and cinematic turns. he most probably realized very well himself, that no one one would watch it without omars, titty sucking lesbian cops and the incessant one liners.

back to usual programming:

american gods first episode-  overstylized and hackneyed stupidity with awful dialogue and phony cgi with some pretensions at deep symbolisms or whatever. i pretty much laughed through half of it.

americans - i respect its measured pace and patience, but it really became a bit of one note dreary snoozefest for the last 4-5 episodes or so. at some points it even feels like they artificially prolong the pauses between the sentences in the dialogue. hope it's not just going to kinda fade out limply like rectify did at the end.

why do you guys like rick and morty? i found the burping really hard to deal with.

It seems like every other person I run into is into this at the moment. Some friends introduced me to it about 3 years ago and I could not get into it at all. They were really, really into it to the point where I felt uncomfortable expressing how little I was enjoying it. It wasn't like I hated it, it just had absolutely 0 appeal to me, but yeah, being polite it made me enjoy it even less.

first two American Gods were enjoyable, Fuller's grandiose style is far more suited to this fantastical setting than it was with Hannibal, which always stretched the limits of credulity (though I still enjoyed it). Was never a fan of Neil Gaiman, so not sure what to expect with the plot or whatever, but it's good to see Lovejoy back on the telly if nothing else.

Starting to go through the new MST3K on Netflix. I'm very much enjoying it so far. Having the new characters and voices was a bit off-putting at first, but I warmed up to it. It seems like the pace is faster with a lot more jokes crammed in.

Couldn't get into this either. The first episode was just limp dick for me. Did it get better after that?

I wanna watch Atlanta and Handmaid's Tale but I don't have cable or Hulu and I don't feel like hunting for sketchy streaming sites.

Finished Narcos s2. Decent series, but I felt the constant back-and-forth retaliations got old fast. It treads too closely to the Walking Dead plot structure of set up camp > camp gets attacked > set up camp > camp gets attacked > set up camp > camp gets attacked, and so on.

All caught up with Better Call Saul s3 too. It hasn't really gripped me as much as the previous seasons did, but I'm still enjoying it, so far.

Other than that, I'm patiently waiting for Fargo to air in the UK, and for the return of Twin Peaks.

Tried the first episode of The Leftovers, at the recommendation of someone.

Got to the end credits and saw the name Damon Lindelof, and realised that I didn't need to see that name to know that it was a waste of a fucking hour of my life.

The Leftovers has to be one of the dumbest tv shows ever created, it's quite enjoyable though, and the acting is great.

S03 of the wire rewatch. It's taken some time to adjust to the time frame of the series. This time around I really appreciated season 2 much, much more.

Rewatching BrBa with a younger relative who didn't catch it at the time. We've been binge watching like mad and are now at the final season. It feels like such a weird way to watch the show, everything happens so fast. I still clearly remember the week long waits, the almost reverent feeling when a new episode was out, and of course the unbearable tension and waiting between seasons. It almost doesn't feel like the same show.

A lot of fun revisiting all the Saul moments, and good old Skyler-hating. Gus is such a strong character and easier to appreciate the second time around. I didn't realize what a murderous bastard Mike was, within his own sense of morals. Maybe because he's more laid back in BCS.

Edited by chim

4 episodes into the Handmaids Tale & its a class act

Elizabeth Moss is superb & the tone is as nuanced as anything else lauded over from the last couple of decade's worth of US telly

Ann Dowd also shines as the uber-cunt midwife come gestapo-type, a face that beams love but that can switch to psychopathic in a heartbeat