IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

veep was ok, no idea why its even compared to something with the genius of the thick of it tbh. i went there on a recommendation, it may have the same guy involved but veep still just feels like cheesy americans making average scripted jokes. the thick of it was in its own league of fucking amazing.

same show runner. or whatever you want to call it. not sure how much he actually writes anymore, the shows seem to have more and more writers as they go along. it'd be impossible not to compare them. and yes comparing veep to ttoi is not kind to veep. On the other hand you are english (i think) so you get way more of the humour in ttoi whereas an american may enjoy the shit out of veep for the local references and it being in their world. based on viewers from other countries reactions obviously ttoi comes off better to impartials.

The Incredible Dr. Pol - Reality show about this crazy traveling Veterinarian who lives and works in the midwest. It just basically follows him around and watches him drain abscesses, pull dead calves out of their mom's vaginas, and other misc impromptu surgery on animals, all with a very jolly disposition.

mostly I watch reruns of Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill, Simpsons, COPS, and the occasional episode of Chopped or Iron Chef.

waiting for the new season of Bob's Burgers

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

also watching season 2 of boss. more of the same so far. it's like the political season of the wire (with added fraiser) but not as good.

Guest RadarJammer

season 2 of boss is teeth pulling boring for me, i enjoyed the shit out of the first season though

I've started watching The Adventures of Shirley Holmes a 90's canadian kids show take on the sherlock holmes theme. every now and then I like to find a 20 something minute show to put on while steaming vegetables or something and this one is perfect.

For some reason, I've spent years believing Arrested Development ended after 1 season so was mindblown to find out I was wrong. As a result I've spent the last couple of weeks watching seasons 2 & 3. Season 2 was brilliant. 7 episodes into season 3 which has been slightly annoying - the Wee Britain storyline / Charlize Theron's character is terrible, the lack of Henry Winkler as the lawyer (though Scott Baio's Bob Loblaw is one of the best character names ever). Still as long as it still has the Bluth family intact it's gonna be better than pretty much all other US comedy.

Edited by LUDD

Started watching Arr Development, first episodes seem funny. Awkward young Michael Cera hasn't changed a bit in acting lol. Found about it through that girls who plays Cheryl in Archer though. Never seemed to have cross my eyes before.

Guest RadarJammer

anyone catch the pilot of Bad Sugar?

thanks, I hadn't heard of this

it was pretty funny, especially for a pilot, looking forward to more

Guest RadarJammer

just finished watching the series finale of Damages and I'm pretty relieved its over, it's a chore to watch that show but once you go so far down the rabbit hole there's no easy escape

Been watching a few series lately, about to finish the fourth season of Parks and Rec because it was added to Netflix

Also started watching Breaking Bad with two of my roommates who hadn't seen it either. Unbelievable show.

Although its laughable, we've also started Dawson's Creek and been enjoying it

Guest futuregirlfriend

what was that new Julia Davis thing called? Can't remember where I read about it. Not Bad Sugar - the other one.

Not so new but... Nighty Night?

"new" being the operative word

Hunderby.

I'm totally not surprised that essentially no one is talking about "girls", and why would they, most people on this board have probably 0 in common with the themes and people portrayed on this show. But jesus christ it might be one of the most astutely observed and brilliant portrayals of dealing with adulthood in the overeducated, white upper-middle class world that they and I sadly exist in. It's flawless really, but it makes perfect sense as to how it comes across as incredibly conceited and whiny.

maybe it's just too realistic. it makes me sick, it's enough just being immersed in that shit without having to watch it on the screen. I made a choice a long time ago never to sell out to the fucks like those that exist in every nook and cranny of our culture

FUCK

edit: new Boardwalk tonight. never got through season 2, was a staunch hater of that show, still feel like 3 might be better with a shift away from "nucky" toward Capone etc

Edited by vamos scorcho

the problem with GIRLS people is that they can't just whip their cocks out. that kind of thing just doens't happen. it's all hushed voices, hands to the mouth, if anyone defies the illusion of normalcy that has been carefully built up - you know , "we're doing yoga and getting abortions!!" instead of just whipping your cock off, cutting it off with a blade... nobody wants to see what's really going on underneath you know, bloody cocks. all they want is yoga, Obama, some easy opinions they can recite together and post on Facebook repeatedly. all of us. I REFUSE

wait, what's the problem? I got a little confused reading that.

It's realistic in that it's neither a parody of that life, or a simplistic celebration of "women" or whatever ala sex and the city. None of them asked for their lifes or situations, they are just trying to live their lifes in the most acceptable way possible? What are you implying there?

I'll try to be more communicative instead of just ranting for the base pleasure of it.

I think in reality, the show isn't necessarily a social critique. I think at the basic level, it's a Sex in the City style celebration of American culture, except aimed towards the 18-30 year old set (except I found out my 48-50 year old parents watched the whole series together, edit: by the end my mom remained interested in the outcome of the characters' relationships, my dad seemed ashamed when I found out they watched it, saying "don't bother") and perhaps meant to cross over into the Entourage viewership (which we know is the tails to SitC's heads).

Personally, I think whatever intellect the show carries is swallowed up by the entertainment value of watching young people fuck and do classy things that pretty much everyone I know strives to be a part of. Instagram, those postmodern self conscious "Hallmark moments," striving toward the image, etc. I suspect the vast viewership of the show consciously models their lives around that kind of thing, and view it as a celebration, instead of picking up on whatever social commentary you noticed. That said, I've only seen a few episodes, but don't hate me for it... listen to what Zizek says at the end of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4pcDLI57c

Edited by vamos scorcho