IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Giving Halt and Catch Fire a whirl. Enjoying it so far.

I loved this show. Gets better as it goes on too, seasons 2 and 3 are great and very different from the first.

so yeah, treme isn't good at all, pretty bad acting all around, lester from the wire is pretty much identical to kirk lazarus from tropic thunder, that aforementioned radio guy is just plain vomit inducing. all those "back in the day"-isms and the incessant attempts to go for the "authentic" are very annoying and hipsterish. the constant righteous zeal that was cleverly contained within a flawed but very watchable character like mcnulty in the wire permeates everything here, the whole thing feels like some kind of propaganda effort and a commercial for new orleans rather than drama really.

it was so overtly preachy, i couldnt weather it (no Katrina jibe)

the facile characters glazed over any good tunes & if folks want music from New Yawlins, theres a whole universe to explore w/out these wanky stories

Celebrity Masterchef - where else could you see Ulrika Jonsson (sp?) nearly cry over an undercooked rack of lamb, nevertheless i wont get those 10mins back on my deathbed

tbh david simon is overrated as fuck and the wire isn't really that great, bad writing and some terrible acting plus that preachy tone, oh boy. it's an important tv show for the discussions it provokes but as a piece of fiction i think it's forgettable.

so yeah, treme isn't good at all, pretty bad acting all around, lester from the wire is pretty much identical to kirk lazarus from tropic thunder, that aforementioned radio guy is just plain vomit inducing. all those "back in the day"-isms and the incessant attempts to go for the "authentic" are very annoying and hipsterish. the constant righteous zeal that was cleverly contained within a flawed but very watchable character like mcnulty in the wire permeates everything here, the whole thing feels like some kind of propaganda effort and a commercial for new orleans rather than drama really.

Wheres your film/tv review blog Eugene?

I bit my tongue when you said you were gonna watch it because I wanted this post lol

Just finished Ingobernable on Netflix - it's a Mexican political drama about how the Mexican government colludes with the CIA/DEA to further keep its people in the dark (and disappeared).

I'm caught up on Preacher now. Annoying that it was just starting to get good and then I ran out of episodes. On reflection I'm not sure it was worth 20 hours of my time and the way recognisable plot points were mangled made me a little queasy.

Herr Starr is done very very well though. Oh and I have the hots for the woman who plays Featherstone omg.

Binged the first season of American Gods, I guess it's good, but the messaging is a bit too on the nose for my taste. Dat Crispin Glover though.

On reflection I'm not sure it was worth 20 hours of my time

i wanted to warn you of this

edit: eh it was fun enough, just mostly forgettable

Edited by roasty

F is for Family... tried to get into it, even made it to Season 2 but boy is it dull. It's billed as something that gets quite dark, but it's a fairly standard middle class slump tale. It's accurate, at least from my own experiences growing up, but not very compelling, especially when BoJack Horseman gets fucking bleak.

Rick and Morty Season 3 - The recent toxin episode was a bit of a miss but overall still great. I miss the "Twisted Adventure Time" vibe of the first couple of seasons but I like that they're forcing the characters to see what assholes they all are. Should at least temper the massively obnoxious fanbase who seem to idolise Rick.

Narcos-s3-poster.jpg

new season is murder

it was deece, i enjoyed it overall and gobbled up the new episodes pretty quick, it was mostly the political and that us-dea-cia-columbian government relations stuff that was the most interesting and kept me hooked. but then a lot of it felt like rehashing the stuff from previous seasons despite focusing on a very different kind of cartel. the array of evil thing cartels can do has been exhausted already (all those wives and children murderings or threats of,  dismemberments, burtal massacres and so on), but yet they still feel the need have some basic amount of those to make it pulpy i guess. there was also an excess of those "is he corrupt or not" games from previous seasons and the rabbit-outta-hat actual real good guys appearances. many contrived tension building scenes felt like they were really stretching things even within the leeway that that opening message of "inspired by true events..." allows. i liked how it looked though, really vivid and luscious colors with lots of high contrast/shadows play, maybe it's a bit low brow in the cinematography biz but i liked it.

i barely finished its first episode, it's just so dull, turgid and cliched. it really pales in comparison to silicon valley which kinda deals with the same stuff, but in much more fun, clever and vigorous way. take for example that ultra-hot and ultra-smart punk/goth/gamer/engineer/whatever girl that gets established as a main character in the first episode, it's just so stupid, it's borderline angelina jolie from 1995's hackers but without a hint of self awareness of its cheese. or that montage of american psycho guy ruining his apartment by hitting baseballs everywhere and looking all determined and serous with some 80's post punk song with overly literal lyrics for the scenes as a background, i mean come on.

SV deals with both "women in hi-tech" issue and with this wild and often misguided entrepreneurial ambition (in the form of bachman, for example) in a much more fun and ridiculous but nevertheless more illuminating way.

while the unapologetic sentimentality and existential subject matter of the leftovers always resonated quite deeply with a part of me i'm probably not the most proud of i've got to say:

that finale just fucked me right in the soul.

fuck.

(also quite remarkable from a technical point of view imo)

oh yeah and got s7 was a bit shit innit. "shame" ... 'specially following the s6 finale, which was one of the best.#

edit ozarkzzz.

Edited by jaderpansen

i barely finished its first episode, it's just so dull, turgid and cliched. it really pales in comparison to silicon valley which kinda deals with the same stuff, but in much more fun, clever and vigorous way. take for example that ultra-hot and ultra-smart punk/goth/gamer/engineer/whatever girl that gets established as a main character in the first episode, it's just so stupid, it's borderline angelina jolie from 1995's hackers but without a hint of self awareness of its cheese. or that montage of american psycho guy ruining his apartment by hitting baseballs everywhere and looking all determined and serous with some 80's post punk song with overly literal lyrics for the scenes as a background, i mean come on.

SV deals with both "women in hi-tech" issue and with this wild and often misguided entrepreneurial ambition (in the form of bachman, for example) in a much more fun and ridiculous but nevertheless more illuminating way.

Yes the riot girl is beyond cliche and so is the damaged patrick bateman dude...and the family man just trying to make his techy mark on the world...

and the nerd groups and their geek speak

and the battle versus corporate establishment 

ill give it a chance though

silicon valley is great...although it felt like it always had those tying up and making everything right endings and turns....and someone always just has a moment of blinding light innovation where the boys get back on top....funny though which is the point i guess

reckon they need more gamer gate parody shit in it

Edited by bendish

finished the leftovers. i've never seen a show that had so many great episodes of television with so many horrible moments in them. there's a sound design thing on this show, where like a rush of noise will build and then there's a hard cut to near silence. they do this over and over until it becomes parody. and the score made me never want to hear max richter again. and i felt the last episode was classic lindelof, with the penultimate ep teasing some ideas that never really get resolved and then the final concluding with an (extremely moving and well acted) monologue that felt like it should have been an entire episode. and yet, i loved this show. basically a premium cable version of lost with better acting, writing and direction. weird to think the woman who directed deep impact helmed like half the episodes of this show but hey, whatever works.

Edited by zaphod

finished the leftovers. i've never seen a show that had so many great episodes of television with so many horrible moments in them. there's a sound design thing on this show, where like a rush of noise will build and then there's a hard cut to near silence. they do this over and over until it becomes parody. and the score made me never want to hear max richter again. and i felt the last episode was classic lindelof, with the penultimate ep teasing some ideas that never really get resolved and then the final concluding with an (extremely moving and well acted) monologue that felt like it should have been an entire episode. and yet, i loved this show. basically a premium cable version of lost with better acting, writing and direction. weird to think the woman who directed deep impact helmed like half the episodes of this show but hey, whatever works.

Max Richter was best when his music had that narrative space for your imagination....especially with pepperings of novels that worked well to enrich the score-like quality of his albums....when placed over adverts or films or tv series...the music just becomes sentimental emotive sap....a shame cause i have many a memory of walking dark streets of london with him as soundtrack of the gloom...