IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Going through Better Call Saul season 2 right now. I'm actually more interested in Mike's story at this point.

I really like the first season of this. It was well paced and a pretty good story in its own right. The next two seasons have their moments, sure, but it feels artificially slowed down so they can fit one season of content into two seasons. There was also a major drop-off in the humor that any story involving Saul requires. It sucked the life right out of the show. It's like they established his character so perfectly in the first season and then completely forgot. There was so much dead air that could have actually been entertaining. Honestly, you could probably skip the second season altogether and the third wouldn't be confusing at all, because not much really changed. I was also just really sick of Chuck as a character even though the actor did a great job. 

i barely finished its first episode, it's just so dull, turgid and cliched. it really pales in comparison to silicon valley which kinda deals with the same stuff, but in much more fun, clever and vigorous way. take for example that ultra-hot and ultra-smart punk/goth/gamer/engineer/whatever girl that gets established as a main character in the first episode, it's just so stupid, it's borderline angelina jolie from 1995's hackers but without a hint of self awareness of its cheese. or that montage of american psycho guy ruining his apartment by hitting baseballs everywhere and looking all determined and serous with some 80's post punk song with overly literal lyrics for the scenes as a background, i mean come on.

SV deals with both "women in hi-tech" issue and with this wild and often misguided entrepreneurial ambition (in the form of bachman, for example) in a much more fun and ridiculous but nevertheless more illuminating way.

First season is the weakest one, I liked 2 and 3 more. The dramatic cheese is kind of the point - the characters' interactions become very entertaining in a weird soap opera sort of way.

I watched the first season of Silicon Valley and it was kind of forgettable. The humor fell flat a lot, even when it was successfully satirical. I liked the cast a lot, but not so much the writing. I was watching at the same time as Veep though, and I love that show so maybe it just didn't hold up in comparison. I'll probably check out the rest eventually and see if it gets better.

silicon valley was great until it became clear there is no end game for the show around season three. but that first season is very funny.

the one episode of halt and catch fire that i watched was terrible. like amc was clearly trying to make a prestige television show in line with mad men and failed miserably. it was so tv writers room in every aspect. 

better call saul is one of the few pieces of TV that i enjoy a lot more watching one episode a week than binge watching. the cliffhangers are so mild that you dont really crave another. 

So the new season takes place in New York and Columbia? How is it so far?

imo it's like 95% columbia and 5% new york. so far, it's really good. not season 1 & 2 narcos good, but more like besides twin peaks this is the next best show good. 

i still miss pablo- the actor and character- but cali were a very different cartel who liked to think of themselves as legitimate businessmen- so the "action" is a little more toned down

alright, so there's this show, Greenhouse Academy. I aint gonna go into details because its terrible trash aimed at teens. Except the first episode where some kiddiewinks watch their own astronaut mother die in a fiery explosion on live tv, got a good cackle out of that

what was weird, though, is that during the credits they showed portrait photos (or just selfies...) of the various main characters with a social media alias beneath. At first I thought it was some weird meta 4th wall thing where the "characters" had social media feeds, but it's literally just the actors and actresses' Twitter/Instagram profiles. Is this a thing now? Is harvesting "social media impressions" going to be part of actor contracts soon?

good luck out there Gen Z, capitalism turned into a helluva thing

Watched all of the new season of Bojack this weekend. Episodes 2 and 11 are basically flawless and completely devastating. This show just seems to keep topping itself over and over again.

This is one of those times I'm actually glad Rick and Morty exists, so that Bojack can go on being quietly, exceptionally brilliant without getting overhyped and crawling up its own asshole.

Finished 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix so I started on Breaking Bad. I was really turned off by the hype of this show years ago, but genuinely enjoying it so far.

Watched all of the new season of Bojack this weekend. Episodes 2 and 11 are basically flawless and completely devastating. This show just seems to keep topping itself over and over again.

This is one of those times I'm actually glad Rick and Morty exists, so that Bojack can go on being quietly, exceptionally brilliant without getting overhyped and crawling up its own asshole.

I don't know about your hood but Bojack was getting hyped plenty a couple of years ago even when I was living in the Inner West (Sydney hipsterland). it's just fallen short of getting the mass attention that R&M now has since season 3.

I don't know about your hood but Bojack was getting hyped plenty a couple of years ago even when I was living in the Inner West (Sydney hipsterland). it's just fallen short of getting the mass attention that R&M now has since season 3.

U.S., Pacific Northwest. Our hipster culture has largely been displaced by the influx of Microsoft and Amazon tech bros, to say nothing of the rise of PAX. So it's all Rick and Morty all the time, except for the circles I tend to frequent. I'm just glad that critics are on board and it's relatively inexpensive, so it will probably live as long as it wants to.

the_deuce.jpg

wanted to like this, but honestly thought it was very boring. also, i didn't buy a lot of these characters i.e. they weren't very believable. maggie gyllenhaal was pretty good though

Edited by Nebraska

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming. it's (obviously) a spoof of star trek but none of the jokes are funny. even worse is the casting and acting: besides mcfarlane, whose strongest suit is his voice, almost everyone fails to sell their character. another meh show that comes off more as an expensive fan movie on a network budget. 

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming. it's (obviously) a spoof of star trek but none of the jokes are funny. even worse is the casting and acting: besides mcfarlane, whose strongest suit is his voice, almost everyone fails to sell their character. another meh show that comes off more as an expensive fan movie on a network budget. 

Yeah, I forgot I watched this the other night. It was trying way too hard to be serious/realistic, the comedic aspects were pretty much forgotten and/or very weak. Sad to see, it's a good idea, just reveres the original too much for its own good. Would've been much better as a 30 minute show, and with someone reigning in the writers to be, ya know, funny. A lot of the acting was weak, a lot of the episode and even the characters really felt like filler...and that's sad given it was setting up literally everything for the 'world.'

Worst part of it is, this is probably better than the actual new Star Trek will be.